Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage car observation.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
My next door neighbor has an nearly mint 1932 Chevrolet Businessman's Coupe. It hasn't moved from the garage since he bought it three years ago. This car begs to be driven. I would give my eye teeth for this thing, but he is as tight as the bark on a tree and would rather be able to say that he has it and never drives it than to sell it to someone who would. Sadly, he's got a bunch of kids, so lying in wait to buy it at the estate sale is probably out of the question too. :rage:

renor27

One of the Regulars
vinatage cars

Sorry gang no vinatge or old car here but do run a 1964 BMW R60 with 1942 Stoye sidecar. In terms of BMW motorcycles vinatge is per war the bikes built after the war are just called post war until the bikes of the 1970's then get very technical model numbers etc.
David Kerr
Reno, Nv.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I had a feeling we mostly had 1950's and 60's car owners here. I guess I'm one of the only 40's car owner here. I would say vintage but since every one has a different spin on the word I'll just say 40's.

And Shamus, you can't say your Grandpa is an antique. Even though I have seen plenty wear T-shirts that say Genuine Antique! :p

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I changed out the rear end gears of my truck so I could actually drive the thing faster than 55 on the freeway and not make it rev like crazy. It really made a heck of a difference without really changing the outward appearance. I am not sure what your rear end gear ratio is but it is likely pretty high as well. Just a suggestion. I bet that thing could fly with the right equipment. ;)

Regards to all,

J

All I'd need to find is a 76 or 77 Cordoba rear end, and I'd be in business. Right now, though, the ratio is probably equal to a tractor, so it's 'pulling' son of a gun. I could probably pull my house off it's foundation in first gear.....and no, it's not a trailer either. (grins) :p
Regards! Michaelson

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Cars

A 1940s car is so new its probably still under warranty! The guys I used to drive with (Model As and Bs) used to make me stay well behind because my Ford was so new (1937) they didn't want to be seen with me.

up196

A-List Customer
The Ford "Model B"

Wild Root said:
. . . do tell me about a model "B". I don't think I have heard of that model of Ford.
The term "Model B" is generally used to describe the 1932 line, the successors of the "Model A" series of 1928-1931. Tehnically, though, the "Model B" is a '32 Ford with a 4 cylinder engine; the new 8 cylinder models for 1932 were called at the time the "V8" . . . Tom

PS, I still have the 1931 Ford 4-door that's been in the movies . . . T

Brad Bowers said:
Ooooh, for a second there, I thought the thread was titled "Vintage observation car," and got all excited to talk about trains again!
Well, that too! I had overnight duty Friday night on a Union Pacific private train at New Orleans' Union Passenger Terminal. All vintage equipment from the "Heritage Fleet" except the locomotive, a brand new SD70ACe in Missouri Pacific livery . . . Tom

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, so that's a model B. The first 32's had only a four banger? I didn't know that but, then again I'm a Plymouth man so, there you go!

Thanks for the info on the Ford model B!

Root.

up196

A-List Customer
I think they were available at the same time, it's just that you could get either engine. The "B" 4 cylinder engine was an improved version of the "A" engine. It remained an option until phased out of the passenger car line in August of 1934, so thecnically, '33s and '34s with 4 cylinder engines are also "Model B" Fords. In fact, Ford was just hedging his bets - in case there were problems with the new V8, he would still have cars to sell with a proven powerplant available. . . . Tom

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Ford numbers

For some reason (probably Henry's conservatism or the fact that the B engine was a development of the A) FoMoCo continued to use the old letter designation (T, A, B) for the 'new model' '32 when it had a 4 cylinder engine but adopted the new number designation (possibly Edsel's influence) for the new V8 model. Technically a '32 with a V8 is a Model 18.

The first digit is the year of design (Ford designed the model in '31 but held back introduction until '32) and the second digit is the number of cylinders. So, the Model 18 is a '32 V8. Then there's the body style imposed on that...

I have a '37 British Model Y Tudor. That's like a '33 or '34 US Ford but smaller. I gave up cars some years ago so I don't drive it any more.

Michaelson said:
All I'd need to find is a 76 or 77 Cordoba rear end, and I'd be in business. Right now, though, the ratio is probably equal to a tractor, so it's 'pulling' son of a gun. I could probably pull my house off it's foundation in first gear.....and no, it's not a trailer either. (grins) :p
Regards! Michaelson

Yeah those tall gears can really pull. The problem is that they have a low top end for speed. You will be surprised what a difference it makes---even in the shifting rpms.

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Converted the 50 Special Deluxe over to 12v this weekend. I now have a start that won't quit...a dual airhorn, a radio/cassette player, and lights that actually work in the dark (on 6v it was like driving with kerosene lanterns on the fenders in the dark)!
Talk about a happy camper. Played doo-wap all the way to work today! Sorry, had to share in a string that was at least vintage car related....

High regards! Michaelson :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
6-12v.

My jalopy is still running 6v. I seem to get good bright headlights and dash lights and so on when the contacts are all clean. When I clean some of the contacts and the fuse holder under the dash I find I get brighter lights.

The start isn't as fast as a 12v but I feel a well maintained 6v is just as good in some respects. But, it's good to hear you're happy with your conversion. Seeing you can run a CD player.

I have had no problems with 6v so; I don't feel a need to change. But, then again you do live out where brighter lights would help so I figure you did the right thing.

Any way, Plymouth built great cars!

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Built like tanks! My drive home at night is along a pitch black country road. If it's raining, I may as well be driving from the trunk of the car, as I could not see any further than 10 feet in front of the car. NOW the lights are bright as day (LOVE those 12v versions!), and now folks KNOW when I hit my brakes as they have bright red tail lights in their face telling them so.

The radio is probably my most favorite thing, though. Playing period tunes from a period car through a single speaker just puts icing on the cake.... :)

Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sounds good fellow MoPar man! Tell me, did you hide a radio/CD player or did you put it in the dash? I plan on having my vintage radio man hook up a line out from my original 802 model to a CD player I will keep under the seat. I want to be able to control the volume with the radio knobs and enjoy my own music too. But, I want to keep it as original as possible. ;)

One must play vintage music in an old car to get the real feel of the day!

Cheers,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
We just removed the old Silvertone radio (dead and rust filled. May have it rebuilt someday, though), and stuck it through the original opening. It's not perfect, but down the road we'll modify it so it will work perfectly in the opening left. We used the original Plymouth speaker screen and mounted a high end speaker directly above the digital radio, and there you go! Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, I had a feeling that's what you did. Yeah, keep that old radio! They can be restored and will work well. I for one can't stand the sight of a modern radio in the hole of the original. Just throws off the whole look of the dash. But, I know also how hard it can be to get it all hidden and period. So, on that note I'm happy you're happy! ;)

Cheers,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Understood, and agreed....but the nice thing about this little radio is that it's period correct in design (looks like it belongs in the car) and the size and weight really helped in the installation, as it's not directly under the dreaded hood vent where water can occasionally creep in and through, filling the radio with water. (let's face it, that's what killed most of the old Silvertone radios in the first place!....failure of that dang vent gasket!)

Regards! michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah yes, in the post 48 models the radio was right under that dumb vent! My radio is out of the way of the vent so it's not in bad shape! I'd like to see a photo of this radio you have put in there!

Root.

PS. This is starting to sound like P-15/D-24! :p

There you go. Now you have a vintage car with modern wherewithall. :p
The radio and some of the other items really work much better with a 12 volt system. My father did the conversion on his Kaiser Manhattan. The problem was that they forgot to install a stepdown to the windshield wiper motor. They found out fast after the first rain. :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters