Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage car question - what does this part do?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I've been wondering about this for some time.

On most all vintage 30s and 40s cars, there is a metal bit that sticks out to the bottom left hand side of the steering wheel.

What is it? What does it do??

Buick1941077circle.jpg

Tudor

Familiar Face
You pull it out (toward you) to set the brake. A trigger like lever at the top part of the handgrip releases it. So, to release the brake you would pull out a little on the hand brake to remove the tension on the pawl and detent that holds the brake set, pull/hold the trigger, and then push the brake forward all the way. At least that is how my Ford hand brake works. Did that make sense?
Dennis

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Tudor said:
You pull it out (toward you) to set the brake. A trigger like lever at the top part of the handgrip releases it. So, to release the brake you would pull out a little on the hand brake to remove the tension on the pawl and detent that holds the brake set, pull/hold the trigger, and then push the brake forward all the way. At least that is how my Ford hand brake works. Did that make sense?
Dennis

Dennis, that makes perfect sense, thank you.

I'm impressed yuo know even the terminology ("pawl")!!

Were these hand-brake handles usually solid (i.e. round-feeling) all the way round - or were they inverted on the underneath - kinda like a spoon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails