Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

I love cars with tailfins, there's just something a bout the excessiveness of them that isn't quite the same as with car designs of any other era

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

rjb1

Practically Family
"What happened to modern cars? They all look the same and there is no sense of style anymore. It is just plain sad IMHO."
Government-imposed fuel economy standards drove everyone (car companies) to optimizing aerodynamics. They all go through the same air, so they all look the same.
And it is sad! Those '59 Caddies each have more character than any ten modern cars.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Government-imposed fuel economy standards drove everyone (car companies) to optimizing aerodynamics. They all go through the same air, so they all look the same.
And it is sad! Those '59 Caddies each have more character than any ten modern cars.
And yet my 39 Dodge car gets about 25 mpg which is more than my co-workers pickup (17mpg)

It just exudes a sense of optimism that it seems the US had in the fifties.

It also looks like it is moving even though it is standing still. Even the 1959 El Camino looked good with that windswept cab design. :p

0704_z%2B1959_chevrolet_el_camino%2Bred.jpg

"What happened to modern cars? They all look the same and there is no sense of style anymore. It is just plain sad IMHO."

Exactly. I am surprised that Cadillac even made it out of the Draconian Era. They kept trying to keep the big prestige car with a little rat engine from the early to mid 80s that nearly doomed the company in its efforts to meet CAFE standards. V8-6-4 anyone? What a mess! Although I can fix it by snipping one wire. :p

rjb1

Practically Family
GM was cutting corners all through the late-70's and early 80's in almost all ways. I had the dubious honor of driving a 79 Olds Cutlass with one of those Turbo 250 transmissions out of a Vega. Locked up solid while I was going down the road. Fortunately I was only doing about 30 so I skidded it into a driveway. Replaced the inadequate piece of junk with a Turbo 350. (Also took out the puny 305 and put in a .030 over 350.)

GM was cutting corners all through the late-70's and early 80's in almost all ways. I had the dubious honor of driving a 79 Olds Cutlass with one of those Turbo 250 transmissions out of a Vega. Locked up solid while I was going down the road. Fortunately I was only doing about 30 so I skidded it into a driveway. Replaced the inadequate piece of junk with a Turbo 350. (Also took out the puny 305 and put in a .030 over 350.)

Yeah they really tried to meet the CAFE standards by under powering the heck out of the vehicles. The late 70s Cadillacs not so much but the other run of the mill cars they just shaved corners off. :p The early 80s Cadillacs---PU! Don't touch anything with the HT 4100 engine in it. :eusa_doh:
Your replacement engine and tranny is just what the Olds should have come with originally. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou