Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It always does. Such is the nature old cars . . .

... Now keeping it up is another story.....:p

Yes and no to both statements.

My '61 Chevy sat un-used for a number of years before I got it and began working to get it back into shape. It has cost me some money, more than I had expected. However, my '65 Ford has been driven regularly since it was bought new in 1965. As a matter of fact, it was the primary vehicle of my aunt Sara from 1965 until 1983 when the car was given to me. From 1983 until 2001, it was my primary vehicle. Over the years it had, of course, routine maintenance, but nothing major. Things like a new alternator, a water pump, and a couple master cylinders were the main things I remember having done in the almost 20 years the car was a daily driver for me. My aunt kept all her receipts, and I didn't find anything significant from 1965 to 1983. After I stopped driving the car on a regular basis, the transmission began to slip. I had it rebuilt about four years ago. So, everything considered, the car has cost very little in maintenance over the life of the car. I attribute that to three things: 1) it was (is) a well-made vehicle; 2) it has been used (but not abused) on a regular basis' and 3) it has had regular routine maintenance (oil changes, greased, etc.). Of course luck could have a lot to do with it, too. [huh]

Yes and no to both statements.

My '61 Chevy sat un-used for a number of years before I got it and began working to get it back into shape. It has cost me some money, more than I had expected. However, my '65 Ford has been driven regularly since it was bought new in 1965. As a matter of fact, it was the primary vehicle of my aunt Sara from 1965 until 1983 when the car was given to me. From 1983 until 2001, it was my primary vehicle. Over the years it had, of course, routine maintenance, but nothing major. Things like a new alternator, a water pump, and a couple master cylinders were the main things I remember having done in the almost 20 years the car was a daily driver for me. My aunt kept all her receipts, and I didn't find anything significant from 1965 to 1983. After I stopped driving the car on a regular basis, the transmission began to slip. I had it rebuilt about four years ago. So, everything considered, the car has cost very little in maintenance over the life of the car. I attribute that to three things: 1) it was (is) a well-made vehicle; 2) it has been used (but not abused) on a regular basis' and 3) it has had regular routine maintenance (oil changes, greased, etc.). Of course luck could have a lot to do with it, too. [huh]
I think well maintained has a lot to do with it. :D Driving it regularly also keeps things going. I rotate mine through use and they stay fairly going. When I got my Mach 1 it was ok for the first bit of driving but then it showed that it needed all new rubber parts, the transmission lost reverse and a few other things. It was well maintained when it was driven but it sat so long that the seals dried out and that is bad.....

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Hi all. I am a long time lurker here at the lounge, and this is my first post. I thought I would share some photos of my Pontiac. It's a '48 Streamliner. Thanks for looking

Jim

I really like it, it doesn't look like four door car at all. Add fenderskirts for that custom look :D

Nearly same that Denzel Washington drove in movie "Devil in a Blue Dress"

Jimmy_1948

New in Town
Thanks, actually when I bought it, it came with one fenderskirt. The problem is finding the other one seems to be near impossible. Actually the car from Devil in a Blue Dress was a '47. Same overall body style though, just had different trim in a few places.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
Ah, when you cannot find original make new more "full" ones. I think there is few tinwizards who can create new skirts easily for you. In my '49 Buick has skirts also but those are quite conservative compared to what those could be and I think I'll ask friend of mine to do new ones some time. First I have to get my car on the road again :D

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks, actually when I bought it, it came with one fenderskirt. The problem is finding the other one seems to be near impossible. Actually the car from Devil in a Blue Dress was a '47. Same overall body style though, just had different trim in a few places.

Love the '48. How about that leg room in the back huh?

Cross-posted.

Bought this today.

1014441_10151687264849330_1746367723_n.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Speedometer or Cable?

Had the Plodge out for a good long drive today -- sixty miles worth -- and as I was rolling back into town the speedometer started to make a squealing whine and the needle began jumping around. This isn't something I've noticed before -- and it's a balloon-squeaking annoying squeal, so I would have noticed it if it was happening earlier. Am I hearing a problem in the speedometer mechanism? Or is the cable about to go? I can get a cable easy, a speedometer less so...

Had the Plodge out for a good long drive today -- sixty miles worth -- and as I was rolling back into town the speedometer started to make a squealing whine and the needle began jumping around. This isn't something I've noticed before -- and it's a balloon-squeaking annoying squeal, so I would have noticed it if it was happening earlier. Am I hearing a problem in the speedometer mechanism? Or is the cable about to go? I can get a cable easy, a speedometer less so...
I think I would start the easy way. Pull the cable and grease it. I would bet the noise is there because the cable needs greasing. I have had that happen to many of my cars. It is sort of a pain to get all contorted up in there to get it out but they do need greasing once in a decade or so. :D If you pull the cable and the ends are worn round then you will have to replace the cable. You can also get up in there and get some grease into the speedometer where the cable goes into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart