Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Those are some great photos FF. I agree with you, there's nothing like seeing a line of Model A's (or any group of old cars for that matter) going down the road. Looks like you all had a great time.
You are not wrong there, Big Man, however I do find it disappointing that, Loungers apart, vintage car owners rarely dress the part. Or maybe they do Stateside, let's see some photos.

You are not wrong there, Big Man, however I do find it disappointing that, Loungers apart, vintage car owners rarely dress the part. Or maybe they do Stateside, let's see some photos.
The situation is the same here, GHT. It's a rare sight.

fashion frank

One Too Many

I know that I do but then I always dress the part so for me its like " hey I'm dressed the way I always dress" !

All the Best,Fashion Frank

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Back in the fifties and sixties antique car owners and their families sometimes dressed in age appropriate clothing especially for judging events. I think it got to the point of being really overdone, with different people vying with each other for the most eye catching costume till it got to the point of parody, or like something out of a comic stage play.

You don't see it any more except for the occasional old age pensioner in poodle skirt or leather jacket behind the wheel of a 57 Chevy.

Back in the fifties and sixties antique car owners and their families sometimes dressed in age appropriate clothing especially for judging events. I think it got to the point of being really overdone, with different people vying with each other for the most eye catching costume till it got to the point of parody, or like something out of a comic stage play.

You don't see it any more except for the occasional old age pensioner in poodle skirt or leather jacket behind the wheel of a 57 Chevy.

Hey! I am not an old age pensioner behind the wheel of my 57. lol lol

I hope you're not wearing a poodle skirt, either.:p

None of either. More like correct for the time:
57Chev4dr.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here in the states, I think it is mainly the Rat Rod people that dress up the most. Although, it has become somewhat of a stylized representation of the 50s. The young Japanese Hot Rodders are also big on it!

Years ago, friends and I used to dress the part with our antique cars. Most of us still do occasionally, but life seems to have interfered enough that it just doesn't happen as much. These days, if it is just me in my car on a club tour, I usually just wear black jeans with a striped shirt and appropriate hat. I like to at least look like I belong with the car.

Lehto10.jpg Lehtomob1.jpg Lehtomob7.jpg

These photos were all taken about forty years ago. The three fellows dressed to the nines photo was taken on Santa Catalina Island while attending a Model T Ford Club of America tour on the island (about 38 model Ts). I am the tall one. We are going to the tour's closing night banquet.
The Doughboys (and girl) was taken in a club famous for their jazz music after we had attended a silent movie at an old theater (probably "Wings").
The other picture was just us at a car show gathering. A couple of our cars and a bunch of others are behind us.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... View attachment 29045

These photos were all taken about forty years ago. ... The other picture was just us at a car show gathering. A couple of our cars and a bunch of others are behind us.

Those are some great photos, and I especially like the one above. It reminds me of a photo I have of my great uncle Briscoe and some of his friends on a "motoring trip" take about 1928.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't specifically "dress the part" when I drive my '48 Plymouth (or '61 Chevy or '65 Ford), partly because I'm driving them just about every day. I do, however, like to try to "dress appropriate" when in one of my old cars. Although, that's how I try to dress every day. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24