Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cologne

botty

Familiar Face
Trumpers West Indian lime is my everyday wear. The advantage of Trumpers is that they do a large range and it is possible to get a 'sample set' to see which one suits you.

There is a difference between aftershaves and cologne. I have 4711 which is pretty much the original cologne from Koln Germany . The 4711 is the original street address number.
Don't know how far back they go but:
I like Agua Lavanda Puig (SP?) which was a favorite of Sinatra.
Grey Flannel too.

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I am interested in the time period 19th century to 1930s. Not sure, aside from what has been suggested, if others could add to the list.

MichaelRhB

One of the Regulars
I don't wear cologne, but I do use an aftershave balm to keep my face from drying out.

Truefitt and Hill have been around in London since 1805, and, that is the name of the aftershave balm I use. 1805 has royal warrants and has been of the face of most of Britain's elite and royalty since then. The list also includes many of the Hollywood elite including Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra, Alfred Hitchcock, Laurence Olivier, Danny Kaye, John Wayne, and many others.

It is a wonderful scent, not overpowering at all. Compliments will follow you around anytime you wear this. T&H is the oldest established barber shop in the UK. There are also several locations in the US. They also make several colognes and matching aftershave balm, shaving soap, high-end shaving gear, and hair products (pomade, etc).

You owe it to the Gentleman inside us all to try the 1805.

https://www.truefittandhill.com/

Flanderian

Practically Family
I am very fond of fine scent and have worn scent for over 60 years. As do most, I began with aftershave. Aftershave has two purposes; to impart scent and prevent infections and irritation from shaving. Unfortunately, I found for me it did both poorly. First, the quantity and quality of scent in aftershave tends to be minimal, and its manner of application is poor at imparting scent for any significant time. And as to irritation, I eventually realized it was worse than nothing, the ingredients actually substantially increasing irritation compared to nothing. I did finally stumble upon the perfect aftershave for that purpose, and have used plain, full strength isopropyl rubbing alcohol for the last 50 years. Zero infections, any nicks heal quickly, and rather than drying the skin as claimed, it leaves it smooth and supple. For scent I use an EDT or EDP applied elsewhere.

Properly advertised scent can be EDC, EDT or EDP, each referring to an approximate range of the percentage of essential oils (smell!) used to make it, from the least to the most. Not as absolutes, but generally the more essential oils, the stronger and longer lasting the scent tends to be. And among scents that offer different strengths, there will be some differences in formulation and how each presents itself. And often scents that have more essential oils may be more costly. Though compared to scents as a group, virtually no other products will offer more hoo-ha about themselves, or crazy pricing.

While I sympathize with, and share, a desire for vintage scents, it can be an elusive quest. Scent makers routinely reformulate scents over, and over again. Ingredients become illegal, or are found dangerous, or can no longer be obtained, or a synthetic version becomes available that is much cheaper, (And surprisingly, sometimes also better!) or the maker simply feels that tastes have changed. So, for example, you can still buy the scent that George Washington used, but you can be equally sure it smells quite differently from what George wore upon visiting Federal Hall in Manhattan.

I am acquainted with some scents that have either a venerable history, or simply smell as if they do.

Caswell Massey Number 6, Supernatural EDP formulation. Recreated from the original 1772 formulation once purchased in quantity by George Washington. Incredibly, this is historical fact, not hype.

https://www.caswellmassey.com/products/supernatural-number-six

Creed's Taberome was indeed formulated in 1875, and is a rich, masterful and profound tobacco like scent. I've only obtained a small sample once, and my impression was that it might be described as smelling like the richest, best smelling unlit pipe tobacco I've ever smelled. Very old fashioned, and authentically a favorite of Winston Churchill's.

Unfortunately, Creed has discontinued the original vintage Taberome, upon which they announced that in the future it might be produced in very limited amounts, but only as a special edition. And in 2000 they introduced Tabarome Millesime, an entirely different scent, lacking in all profundity, and which I do not like.

Fortunately, Creed makes plenty of very fine scents which I very much enjoy, including some which are more modern and fall beyond the scope of the question. But also others which might well satisfy the vintage history, or quality, for which you're looking.

Some Creed suggestions -

Since one good George deserves another :eek: we have the good general's nemesis, HRH George III, who commissioned Creed in 1781 to create what became Royal English Leather. A citrus, wood and leather scent.

Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender was introduced in 1856. Citrus, lavender and a bit of vanilla.

Guerlain is another perfume house with a long history. Among the scents they make that fall within your criteria is Mouchoir de Monsieur. Created in 1904, very old world citrus, floral/herbal and animalic. Try before you buy.

Another slightly similar Guerlain scent is Jicky first formulated in 1889. It also has citrus top notes, floral/herbal heart notes, and wood and animalic base notes. Available both as EDT and EDP. Try before your buy.

Many have described Knize Ten, formulated in 1924 as one of the greatest men's scents. It is most often described as a leather scent. But I've sampled it many times, and for me, it's an instant scrubber. Others have described it as subtle and inoffensive. On me, it's synthetic, aggressive and persistently horrid.

A new scent that smells old is now one of my favorite colder weather scents. It's Annick Goutal's Encens Flamboyant. Classed as an oriental type scent (warm and sensuous.) this 2007 scent smells as if it may have originated in antiquity. Its main readily discernable notes are incense and balsam. (Pine trees.) It can smell a bit medicinal upon first application, but on me it quickly mellows into a somewhat mysterious warm pine note, that lingers, but stays close to the skin.

As I've noted I've rambled on forever, I shall close by saying I've found the best way for me to wear scent is two pumps of the spray applicator directly to the skin of my chest. And sometimes a bit on an article of clothing if I'm in the mood.

Everyone has differing preferences. The same scent will smell differently both to and on different people, so sample widely, and wear whatever makes you feel good. That's the best scent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit