Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE Cowichan Shawl Collar Sweater. FREE SHIPPING & OFFERS WELCOME!

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
Cowichan sweaters are traditionally handknit by the Native peoples of southeastern Vancouver in Canada, especially by the Cowichan. They are handknit, and while some include Fair Isle designs after these were introduced into the area in the 1920s the majority feature pictures of the surrounding landscape and countryside, such as elk, bears, salmon, ducks--and beavers, as here. The patterns and pictures are chosen solely for their aesthetic appeal, and don't have any any cultural significance in themselves--despite what some Etsy sellers of these sweaters will try to tell you!

Although they are traditionally made only with natural dyes, occasionally one surfaces that has a less subdued colouring--such as this one, with its beautiful creams, blues, and yellows. They are all handknit, and since the 1940s traditionally feature a Lightening zipper for closure, since Lightening was the major Canadian zipper manufacturer. (Indeed, it's often credited with the invention of the zipper--although it's not clear that this is justified!) Like their distant cousin the original Aran sweater these are both iconic and very hard wearing, designed to be used as outerwear in the cold and wet conditions of coastal Canada.

Owing to their longevity they survive a long time, and so you'll see a fair number of them on Etsy and other vintage sites--although their longevity doesn't undermine their relative rarity, as they're all handknit, and so productions numbers have always been low. They're also expensive--between $350 and $750 new. (Something that is not lost on Filson, who are happily selling them for small fortunes!)

This one is beautiful. A rare version in brighter colours, it features beavers and maple leaves--and, of course, has a Lightening zipper, which closes beautifully fluidly. SInce I'm very conservative at rating vintage items I would place this in Very Good/Excellent condition--although I haven't found a vintage sweater on Etsy that's in better condition that this, as it has no flaws that I could find.

Ready to give you decades of wear, this is very well priced at just $79, OR OFFER, boxed and shipped in the USA! International inquiries welcome, with shipping at cost.

Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/4
Sleeve: 24 1/2 (c. 34 1/2 when measured like a shirt)
Shoulder: 18
Length: 24 1/2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy