Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Display "Suit Forms"... Any Interest?

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Well... I couldn't help myself. :eusa_doh:

Last weekend, I ended up at an estate sale conducted by the family of a longtime Dallas resident named Ramon Navarro. I was immediately struck by row-upon-row of vintage mannequin torsos (Not Literally), along with many other props that were definitely out of the ordinary, compared to traditional estate sale items. So, I asked Mr. Navarro's family about them.

As it turns out, Mr. Navarro was an independent window dresser in Dallas for many years, and these items were from his warehouse. In fact, he started out working for Brooks Brothers, and then he did freelance work for the original Neiman Marcus, as well as other department stores in town.

The large number of suit forms really got my attention, and they were priced pretty low, so I made a couple of calls to one of the luminaries of The Lounge, and he said the forms are worth more than the asking price, so I bought all of them... plus 26 wooden bases and poles.

The collection includes several different types and sizes of forms, and some are clearly older than others. They are all made of thick papier-mâché.(Pardon my French.) I only found one brand name, and it appears several times on some of the older forms. The brand is "Palmenberg - Cavanaugh" of Chicago, but I can't find much info on them via Google.

Does anyone have experience with or interest in these Suit Forms?

Of course, no post is complete without photos!

I'm posting examples of each type, as well as a few example bases.

Let me know what you think!

DSC03924.jpg

DSC03928.jpg

DSC03930.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03934.jpg

DSC03935.jpg

DSC03937.jpg

DSC03940.jpg

DSC03942.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I would have some interest, particularly in smaller sizes, as I can use them to display some of the more interesting tunics in my collection (primarily Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian)

Hat display stands would also be of use, again generally in small sizes, say between 5 1/8 and 6 1/2, for the leather shells of even the largest of Pickelhauben so often shrink.

I have visited other collectors, some of whom have really fine collections, who unfortunately display them on surplus department store mannequins. One has not lived until one has seen a group of Imperial Court dress, 1930's SA and SS tunics displayed on VOLUPTUOUS mannequin tops.

(shudders)

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Small Forms...

vitanola said:
I would have some interest, particularly in smaller sizes, as I can use them to display some of the more interesting tunics in my collection (primarily Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian)

Hat display stands would also be of use, again generally in small sizes, say between 5 1/8 and 6 1/2, for the leather shells of even the largest of Pickelhauben so often shrink.

I'm glad to know that you and the Baron might find some use for these forms.

I definitely have several smaller sized forms, and I plan to measure each of them this weekend, so I'll be able to give folks an accurate account.

After speaking with a local window dresser, I learned that these forms were "pin-able", which was important in the days when professional window dressers paid careful attention to how clothes were displayed. Whereas, these days sales associates display the clothes themselves, without paying any attention to showing the garments as they were intended to be shown.

Regarding hat stands... Apparently, they had some hat stands, but dealers made it to the sale before I got there. Worst of all... they had a working hat steamer/stretcher that was sold ealrier in the day for $175. Can't believe I missed that one! :eusa_doh:

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Initial Sizes...

vitanola said:

OK... I checked, and I have three Size 16 suit forms, which measure a bit over 33" for the chest. The writing inside of one form says the neck is 13".

Some of the shirt forms are 38" in the chest, and the rest of the forms are 40-42" chest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails