Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fabric and Notions

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
sixsexsix said:
I have honestly found the best stuff at Value Village/Salvation Army/etc. Not so great if you want to do a number of items in the same print, but for one-offs it is great.

This is the only one I have ever used online, and found them to be okay, but kind of expensive compared to thrift stores and what you can find on sale at regular fabric stores (although that isn't vintage...)

http://www.reprodepot.com/

Thanks, I am looking at it now!

epr25

Practically Family
Vintage Fabric?

I am wanting to locate some vintage kitchen curtains. Wether they be actual vintage curtains or some nice vintage fabric or repro fabric I am open to making them if I find good fabric. This is an area I am not experienced in so could you ladies recommend some good fabric or curtain resources?

Foofoogal

Banned
Dotted swiss and/or checkered curtains screams vintage kitchen to me.

I have had this vision in my head of yellow dotted swiss and white curtains forever and cannot find them. One cannot even find the real dotted swiss anymore which boggles my mind.
The real stuff that is vintage will be fought over online unless in fixed price setting if you can find it.

I have a great set of vintage cherry tie backs from the 30's or 40's that my Mom got on ebay. They were not very expensive. I am re-doing my kitchen and will post a pic when they go up. As I recall vintage curtains weren't going as high as clothing and accessories you may be lucky enough to find something you like.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What do you ladies think of this fabric?

NN490600x600_thumb.gif

Its silk blend with the brown design being a velvet inlay. I love the colors and think it would make a great dress.

LD

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Advice on choosing vintage fabric

I am getting ready to make two 1940's (war time) dresses I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to select vintage appropriate fabrics.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Feed sacks

This is a thread I started just about a year ago on the subject of vintage feed sacks. Seed companies started about 80 years ago making their feed sacks out of pretty cotton print material that could be recycled by creative farm wives into all sorts of useful things, even dresses.
Here is a shot of the kitchen curtains I made from a pair of vintage feed sacks. They may be crudely done, but I'm inordinately proud of them.

Kitchen02-02-09008reduced.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=36224&page=3&highlight=Feed+sacks

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I remember that thread and I still love those curtains. It's making me rethink pattern possibilities for my kitchen next year. That's just such a cheery floral, not too dark or heavy.

SayCici

Practically Family
Check the thread about 40s basics/essentials. Lady Day posted some scans from a magazine that included pages of different fabrics and patterns, all in color. Crepe, cotton, linen, wool, tweed. If you are interested in being true to what kind of fabrics would have been available during war time, you might opt for a synthetic like rayon instead of silk.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I'm a huge fan of Russian Productivism (Popova, Stepanova, Rodchenko) so I couldn't help but GASP when I saw this fabric on ReVamp's site:

swatch-321321.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this on any website?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart