Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fashion Expo

OcNikki

New in Town
I was just wondering if anyone had been to this? I plan on going everytime it comes around and something always comes up. I will definately be there this time though.
http://www.vintageexpo.com/
The dates are Oct. 22-23. I hear that if you go on Sunday you get the best deals.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It is absolutely fabulous! I have been going for about ten years. I usually prefer to go on Saturday and do some scouting around. Sometimes even the "experts" don't know what they have, so if you get there early you might find a steal tucked away. But sunday's good too. Daniel and I sold in Febuary and on Sunday, we didn't want to cart everything back so we gave greater discounts, and I believe the other vendors did as well. I actually learned a lot about vintage by just going to these and handling the "real thing". It teaches you a lot about cut, texture, and fabrics. The prices can be quite steep, but it's definately worth it for eye candy. If you sew there's a lady there who always brings vingage yardage in bins, and she usually has some glorious 40's rayons just screaming to be made into repro dresses. I hope you come! I'll be there on Saturday, and I know Matt Deckard and Wild Root go as well over the course of the weekend. Art Fawcett, who posts occasionally was heavily active in them until his retirement, and thanks to him I kept coming back.

decodoll

Practically Family
It comes to San Francisco this coming weekend. I'll be there on Saturday. There used to be a woman that came with yardage, patterns and deadstock shoes (my three favourite things!) to the one here, but for the last couple of years she has been there less often. Is she the same one that you are refering to, Lauren? I really hope she is there this weekend! My birthday is on the 18th, so I'll have birthday loot from the parents and grandparents burning a hole in my handbag! :)

Lauren

Hmm... it may be the same one. Does she usually have a huge table of doilies and embroidered things like pillowcovers? I think she's from Santa Barbara and called Rare Finds. the only reason I remember was because I was going through my reciepts the other day that I filed and was shocked at how much fabric I bought, until I saw the name on the receipt :D I have never been to the one in San Fransisco. How do you like it?

decodoll

Practically Family
It's always lots of fun, although it has gotten a lot smaller ever since ebay started to take off. Have you noticed the same thing with the Southern California one? They must be two different sellers. I think the woman that comes to the one here is from Washington State and I don't remember any doilies.

Lauren

No, this one seems to be steadily growing in demand from sellers and the prices seem to go up if anything. There seems to be an awful trend for 60's through 80's stuff here though. I know some hollywood costume designers and stylists go, which accounts for that. And designer names seem to be getting huge down here as well. I don't care if there's even a label, personally, as long as the styling and condition are good. But then there's Adrian and Poiret, and Lanvin and Fortuny. If I ever had the money to spend, those I wouldn't mind having. But Gucci and Fendi? I'll pass, thank you very much :)

decodoll

Practically Family
The quality seems to have stayed about the same and the prices, as always, just seem to depend on the booth you are in. Some are good and some are ridiculous. Most of what you find is about 20's to 60's. It's just shrunken to about a third the size it was 10-15 years ago. The Deco to 60's sale that comes in June and December has still stayed large.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
It breaks my heart, but the expo is at the exact time I have to be coordinating a huge festival at the museum, and there is no way I can get out of it (trust me, I've tried).

What are the hours? I might sneak away for my lunch break if I can...or cut out early...Geez, I could just cry :(

Lauren

Here's a link to the Vintage Fashion Expo Website.

Here's what they have listed for hours

Regular Hours: 10:30-6 Sat. & 11-5 Sun., tickets $10.00
Early Buying: Sat. 9:00-10:30 a.m., tickets $20

And don't forget we have to pay for parking too, but you get a rebate when you buy a ticket.

OcNikki

New in Town
Sounds fun! I'm really excited about the fabrics. Is it worth going to the Early Buying on Sat morning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy