Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage fedora- the finchley establishment

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here's what I managed to get for 22 bucks (that includes shipping) off the bay.

I'm a sucker for hat companies I've never heard of before. The pictures on ebay were so dark you couldn't tell much, so I lightened them on my computer.
The bow goes straight accross, with a wide center tie.
and check out that lining.
It has a 2-3/8 inch brim.

how old do you think this hat is?

I'll post much better pictures when it arrives.

image042.jpg

image041.jpg

image043.jpg

image044.jpg

image045.jpg

image046.jpg

image047.jpg

and I think willi goat has a hatbox from them.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Handsome lid D-man!
I know Finchley's was a going concern in 30s NY as I've seen their ads in The Times from that period. They were a general men's store, not a hatter, and I think a fairly ritzy one.
This hat could quite easily be of 30s vintage with the straight side crown, wide band and moderate size brim.

Stoney

Practically Family
Finchlys may still be there

Dinerman,

Hey, I like your new avatar. Did you draw it?

I found this in a web page listing their address in New York.

This is the url for the page:
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles06/new-york-city-52.shtml

Here I feel that I should mention some places for MEN'S CLOTHING before the family budget runs out altogether. First should be mentioned Brooks Brothers, at 346 Madison Avenue (at 44th Street), one of the oldest firms in the city. You will find nothing cheap in this store, but neither will you find any-thing but the very best. The same is true of F. R. Tripler and Co. at 366 Madison Avenue (46th Street), and of Finchley at 566 Fifth Avenue (near 46th Street). There are a few smart and expensive men's shops in the Rockefeller Center neighbor-hood. For more moderate prices, try the various stores of Rogers Peet Co., of Broadstreet's, of John David, and of Weber and Heilbroner. Frankly on the cheap side are Crawford Clothes and Bond Clothing Stores. And Barney's Clothes, I 11 Seventh Avenue (at 17th Street), is becoming a New York institution with the men who have to dress well for little money

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Stoney said:
Dinerman,

Hey, I like your new avatar. Did you draw it?

I found this in a web page listing their address in New York.

This is the url for the page:
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles06/new-york-city-52.shtml

Here I feel that I should mention some places for MEN'S CLOTHING before the family budget runs out altogether. First should be mentioned Brooks Brothers, at 346 Madison Avenue (at 44th Street), one of the oldest firms in the city. You will find nothing cheap in this store, but neither will you find any-thing but the very best. The same is true of F. R. Tripler and Co. at 366 Madison Avenue (46th Street), and of Finchley at 566 Fifth Avenue (near 46th Street). There are a few smart and expensive men's shops in the Rockefeller Center neighbor-hood. For more moderate prices, try the various stores of Rogers Peet Co., of Broadstreet's, of John David, and of Weber and Heilbroner. Frankly on the cheap side are Crawford Clothes and Bond Clothing Stores. And Barney's Clothes, I 11 Seventh Avenue (at 17th Street), is becoming a New York institution with the men who have to dress well for little money

first off: I drew the new avatar, I'm glad you like it.:)

That article is great. I always love to know things about my hats. I wonder what hat company actually made it.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently score a black Royal Stetson with a narrower brim for about the same price. It is obvious it has never been worn either. All you gotta do is be patient and you'll find what you want for the price you want.;)
9f0b_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Wow- that was fast. It showed up today in a huge cardboard box, inside which the seller had built a framework for it to sit in. Talk about protection.

The hat has a raw edge brim.
the felt is beautiful, and has a stiffness from it being so dense.

also, check out the sweatband. Has anyone seen this press pattern in a sweatband before? I haven't.

It's labeled 7-1/8, but fits like a very large 7-1/4, or a small 7-3/8.

IMG_2783-1.jpg

IMG_2790-1.jpg

finchleylinerdetail.jpg

finshleyinside.jpg

IMG_2791-1.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It's interesting how the crown doesn't look nearly as tall in the picture alone due to the ribbon width, but once you plop it on your head, it's straight out of a Knapp felt ad.
Do you dress up everyday now, Dinerman?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou