Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Finnish Leather Jackets

Gambetto

Familiar Face
What a great post. These jackets are really fantastic. Very cool designs. Thanks for sharing. Wish some of them were real jackets for sale still! I really like the creative front pockets on a few of them and the ladies look very sexy!

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
Is it horsehide?

Do you have a photograph of a Friitala jacket? As I mentioned before, Friitala only marketed sheepskin jackets but made them also from horsehide if specially ordered. However all the photographs I have posted on this thread are from "the list" and thus made out of sheepskin.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Great Jackets, and these finnish female models look stunningly beautiful...especially the model wearing the long jacket in pic no3
Actually it has always been known in Scandinavia, that finnish girls are special

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
However I found a bit of information that the Finnish Defence Forces used also horsehide jackets during the early 1930s. It is likely that these were made specially for the Army by Friitala.

Helsinki Truck Company used these jackets and posted a report based on their experiences in December 1934. They found out that the disadvantages were greater than the advantages and recommended not to order more of these jackets.

Advantages:
1) Elegant.
2) Morale booster.
3) Wind and greaseproof.

Disadvantages:
1) Hot during summer and cold during winter.
2) Cannot be washed due of the fixed lining, i.e. is unhygienic.
3) Thick leather inhibits movement due of the "cut to fit" anatomy of the jacket. Should be loose on the shoulders and have a low-cut collar.

The Finnish submarine crews also had their own leather uniform but unfortunately I have not seen any museum examples nor photographs of these uniforms.

Last edited:

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
An additional winter coat photograph.

Finnish_couple_leather_jackets.jpg

Nah, an awful lot of the early British ones are like No.2. Differing in the pockets, typically, but the cut and shortness is the same.

Lovely jackets! #2 looks very much like a denim trucker jacket - I'm surprised by this, as I have to admit I'd always thought that leather jackets in this style and cut only appeared in the Eighties!

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Interesting how photographs like these give you a completely fresh perspective on history. That of the everyday normal things, and perhaps unimportant quirks that the history books mostly ignore.

laukkanenJr

New in Town
an old Friitalan jacket

I just had a jacket passed down to me and stumbled upon this thread while I was searching online for information on Friitalan jackets. It seems like this is the right place for me to discuss vintage clothing! Here is the coat that made its way to me. I need to have it cleaned and a small hole in the sleeve repaired to get it ready for this winter.

HsJfrl.jpg

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
A rather poor shot of one type of black leather jacket used by some of the Finnish Air Force pilots during the Continuation War. To best of my knowledge, these were not issued by the FiAF but bought by the pilots themselves from Friitala.

Finnish_Air_Force_Jackets.jpg

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
A few more. I would say the two most common jackets were either single-breasted with two breast pockets or double-breasted one with two breast pockets and two smaller pockets.

PL001.jpg

PL002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21