Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage German trousers

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
DSC00124.jpg

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/yestertex/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1&_sid=1088912928&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

'Yestertex' - who are (if I remember correctly) the German collectors and film costume suppliers who've been selling off loads of old suits over the last couple of years) have a nice selection of trousers on their website. But they aren't cheap.

DSC00352.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The cream ones are rare.
These are first German cream flannels I have ever seen. Also wide and straigt.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i sense a palpable air of 'damn there are some great trousers here, but can i stretch to those prices ?'

i feel it too.

Cinetex will be on in a minute to tell us off for being such tight wads.

Their prices just seem all over the place. Some of the most desirable, very old Harris Tweed jackets in larger sizes a few weeks ago at €69-€99 (I bought one, smaller size so €69) and now a bunch of orphaned trousers - admittedly with a few rare pairs of sports slacks - at €175 and up. It's just odd.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Not all of these trousers are sure to be german. I bought an early 30s suit from them which sadly was american. Should be noted!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
These trousers are all German.

All trousers have some tailoring details that are typical of German tailoring:

"bunny ears" suspender straps, piped side pockets, little fob pocket (some with flap), inverted pleats, bowled buttons, the scalloped rear pocket, the type of side adjusters

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab

"bunny ears" suspender straps, piped side pockets, little fob pocket (some with flap), inverted pleats, bowled buttons, the scalloped rear pocket, the type of side adjusters

Of course a single detail like "inverted pleats" is also found elsewhere... but it is the combination of these characteristics that confirm these trousers as 100% German.

-

(P.S.: @Bartenders: PLEASE enable the Edit-Function in this section. What could be the reason for disabling it here? It is very frustrating.)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

The distinctive nature of German trousers is quite interesting: I recently saw a website with German 'vintage clothing' that mostly dated from the 1960s through to the 1980s. There were plenty of trousers that looked interesting (including all the features noted by Fastuni) yet on closer inspection were relatively modern, being made of all manner of man-made fabrics. I was surprised to see the features so closely mirroring the old styles.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would have thought that an American suit would have been readily identifiable via the photos? They're really quite different from European ones.

Unless it was American made but made by a tailor from Germany? In fact, I recall seeing one such suit here on the FL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner