Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hair and Working Out

Sara Rusch

New in Town
I've been lurking around the Lounge for a few months now, and absolutely love how much I'm learning from all of you amazing people!

I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for, but if I completely missed it, or this thread should be somewhere else, please let me know. Also, sorry if my question seems really basic (or perhaps even stupid), but I've just not been able to come up with an answer on my own.

My question is for all of you ladies who set your hair in a vintage set. I love having my hair all nice and curly, since it makes me feel so pretty (and who doesn't like feeling pretty? :) ) But then it comes time to go to the gym, which is where my problem comes in. I try to fit when I set my hair around when I plan on going, but it always seems like my hair looks too nice to go and ruin it by sweating at the gym (which usually means I just don't go...). I've tried to just put it in a ponytail, but it always kinks/messes up my hair really bad since my hair is very thick and needs a strong/tight ponytail holder. How do all of you lovely ladies keep your curls looking fresh while still staying in shape?

Last edited:

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I started working out in the evenings because of this. And then I can just shower and set my hair. I don't workout every night and not all of my workouts call for a shower.

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
i've been called ghetto for this, but when i go to the gym, i have my hair in magnetic rollers (the back), and my bangs rolled back. i then wear a scarf or bandana around the rollers- 40s working woman style.

when i'm working out, i'm more concerned about function rather than how cute i look.

i still get hit on constantly, so the latter really isn't an issue for me ;-)

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I've been wondering about this, too. I go to the gym in the morning before work, because otherwise it's too easy for me to get sidetracked and skip it. I do a lot of cardio, and I go HARD. Like dripping sweat hard--a post-workout shower is a must. Right now I don't have vintage hair, but I'd like to...wondering if that's ever going to happen.

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
i've been called ghetto for this, but when i go to the gym, i have my hair in magnetic rollers (the back), and my bangs rolled back. i then wear a scarf or bandana around the rollers- 40s working woman style.

when i'm working out, i'm more concerned about function rather than how cute i look.

Hahaha I love this :)

Sara Rusch

New in Town
I started working out in the evenings because of this. And then I can just shower and set my hair. I don't workout every night and not all of my workouts call for a shower.

That is so simple/logical, I can't believe I didn't think of it! I'll have to try that later this week.

Haha, I love this! If I was able to work out at home, I would probably do this. But I managed to get a really nice deal on a summer membership to the YMCA for while I'm home from college, so I go there. I wish I could be brave/confident enough to go with rollers in, but my town is extremely small minded and I just don't know that I could take the looks...

Sara Rusch

New in Town
ALSO -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek6tHGvTT74

This was bodyshaping in 1945 (weird tortuous exercise machines but that's another matter) ... there are a couple of women as far as I can tell that have their rollers in!

That certainly is an interesting approach to staying in shape! Some of those machines looked quite painful...

Back then, it would have been ok to go somewhere with rollers in (especially the gym, probably). But, sadly, today you would be thought of as crazy (at least you would in my hometown). I've even read somewhere that the paparazzi ridicules Christina Aguilera for being seen with her pin curls in a cute hairnet before one of her shows. No one these days appreciates the work that goes into being glamorous...

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
baltimore is rediculously small too, in the sense of the 6 degrees of seperation...but its more like 4. so i understand the looks all too well.

i get looked at by the women in the gym, with a very puzzled/disapproving look (as if their opinions matter). But by the end of my workouts, i come out the gym looking springtime fresh with hair perfectly curled, and they have been reduced to a sweat mangled bun, its my turn to shoot the rude looks their way.

But i don't, i'm better than that.

I've just learned not to care what people may think.

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
ALSO -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek6tHGvTT74

This was bodyshaping in 1945 (weird tortuous exercise machines but that's another matter) ... there are a couple of women as far as I can tell that have their rollers in!

"If you don't mind a mauling, you don't have to work. The machines do everything: They beat you and knead you and pumel you and shake you. You just have to be able to take it."

....I'd normally call the police in such situations.

Sara Rusch

New in Town
baltimore is rediculously small too, in the sense of the 6 degrees of seperation...but its more like 4. so i understand the looks all too well.

i get looked at by the women in the gym, with a very puzzled/disapproving look (as if their opinions matter). But by the end of my workouts, i come out the gym looking springtime fresh with hair perfectly curled, and they have been reduced to a sweat mangled bun, its my turn to shoot the rude looks their way.

But i don't, i'm better than that.

I've just learned not to care what people may think.

I have to "tone it down" when I'm home for summer or school breaks. But when I'm in the city where my college is I can be a bit more bold since no matter how extreme I decide to go, there will always be someone way more out there than me (there's quite a few Asian girls who look like they walked straight out of an anime cartoon, but to each their own). One of these days I may just get up the nerve to try it your way, and just stop caring about what they will say (it's not like I'm going to see most of them again).

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
I have to "tone it down" when I'm home for summer or school breaks. But when I'm in the city where my college is I can be a bit more bold since no matter how extreme I decide to go, there will always be someone way more out there than me (there's quite a few Asian girls who look like they walked straight out of an anime cartoon, but to each their own). One of these days I may just get up the nerve to try it your way, and just stop caring about what they will say (it's not like I'm going to see most of them again).

Here's what i go by in terms of do i want to give a heck what a person thinks of me:

Do You Pay My Bills?

If the answer is no, they don't matter to me.

Vivi

New in Town
e8e29b7a.jpg
maybe something like this would be good for working out, the back can be put in a pony tail or two little braids. I usually wear it like this on hot days...

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I'm pretty comfortable with working out in a bandanna and curlers/pincurls (so long as my bangs make it look like a hairstyle). Unfortunately it gets way too hot and humid in this part of Missouri and I sweat, as my Grandpa would say, like onions in a pan - which means sweaty hair, and it drives me nuts so I have to wash it after a workout and the curling's wasted. So I just go jog with my doggy or exercise heavily when I've got to wash my hair anyway. The rest of the time I do pilates, yoga, climb stairs and do housework to get my exercise in and still maintain my hair.

Smumo

New in Town
I've worn my rollers on my morning jog before. In fact, it's easier to roll them just out of the shower, wrap them up in a turban, jog and then come home and take them down. You need a turban dear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner