Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hat Cleaning

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I just purchased a vintage hat which looks to be from the mid 1930's. It's chocolate brown, with brown gros grain ribbon and wonderful bakelite leaves. It needs to be cleaned and shaped a little. Any advice on where to take it, I live in the LA area, or on how to clean it myself?

Thanks for your input!

CA Rosie

New in Town
Hat Shop

Not sure which part of LA you in, but if you head into Burbank there is a hat shop on Burbank Blvd Called Baron's Hats on the North Side of the street, its on a corner. It is just past an Itialian Sandwich Shop (great food) called Sorentino's (dont quote me on the spelling) if your heading west on Burbank. Anyways, this shop has done a ton to Millinary work for the film studios. They made the original Fedora's for none other than Indiana Jones himself.
I would try to take your hat there, before I take it anywhere else. From what my folks say the owners are really nice.

Feraud

Bartender
CA Rosie said:
Not sure which part of LA you in, but if you head into Burbank there is a hat shop on Burbank Blvd Called Baron's Hats on the North Side of the street, its on a corner. It is just past an Itialian Sandwich Shop (great food) called Sorentino's (dont quote me on the spelling) if your heading west on Burbank. Anyways, this shop has done a ton to Millinary work for the film studios. They made the original Fedora's for none other than Indiana Jones himself.
I would try to take your hat there, before I take it anywhere else. From what my folks say the owners are really nice.
Herbert Johnson provided the fedoras for Indiana Jones.
That is not to say this place cannot clean and shape a hat! ;)

Classydame

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:
There is a tipp on how to clean up a felt-hat in the "The 1940s Look". If no one is quicker than me I´ll see if I can post it for you tonight!

Thanks, I would appreciate any help that I can get. :)

Classydame

One of the Regulars
CA Rosie said:

Thanks I will try them. I live near Long Beach but Burbank isn't to bad. I just have to go on a Saturday.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
To renew a shabby felt hat

Take out any lining and remove the ribbon or trimmings. Careful streaming is generally all that is needed to clean it. Put the hat close to the spout of a boiling kettle keeping it moving and taking care not to saturate it.
After this, dry the hat by the fire and when quiet dry, brush it. Repeat if necessary: If this doesn´t do the trick you might have a go with ammonia and warm water mixed in equal parts; rub it on very gently with a clean dry cloth, working with the nap of the felt.
If the hat has shrunk or lost its shape hold it in the stream again, your fingers inside the crown, and strtch it round with your hands. When it is back in shape dry it in an oven set low.

Source: "The 1940s Look" by Mike Brown 2006

melankomas

One of the Regulars
Classydame said:
I don't know much about hats but I believe it is wool felt.

Thanks

perhaps it may help to refer to Felt Hat Basics, in the Hats section. Mr. Deckard and Company seem to have a wealth in information for their hats, and perhaps it would apply to yours. there are product and method recommendations.

i apologize if you've looked there and already found it didn't help.

CA Rosie

New in Town
Baron Hats of Burbank

I just went over there the other day, Mark (the owner) says that they do infact clean, block and repair vintage felt hats. To block a hat, the price is anywhere from 35 to 45. I looked at a few hats he had in the shop and was pretty impressed.
Here is the shops information - 1619 w. burbank blvd , burbank 91506
or his website - www.baronhats.com

Classydame

One of the Regulars
CA Rosie said:
I just went over there the other day, Mark (the owner) says that they do infact clean, block and repair vintage felt hats. To block a hat, the price is anywhere from 35 to 45. I looked at a few hats he had in the shop and was pretty impressed.
Here is the shops information - 1619 w. burbank blvd , burbank 91506
or his website - www.baronhats.com

Wow! Thank you so much for stopping by there and getting that information. :D I will try to get up there after the holidays!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Shellie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael