Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lifestyle VS Re-Enacting VS Cosplay

Hi All!

Now I want to start off with the idea that I mean no insult or slight or as an attempt to degrade anyone and hope that others will stick to that concept.

I was looking through an advertisement today from a place call Milanoo that makes all sorts of clothes and one section they have is for cosplay. I had seen the term come up before and while I had an idea as to what it was I had not looked into it. I checked Wiki and they have a neat article as usual about it with some swell information.
If you'd like to read it, it is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

And it made me think that we are fortunate to live in a time where people have the ability to engage in some serious pursuit of what might be called "play time." It sure seems like play even as adults has great benefits that is dismissed by overly serious people.

After reading a bit I thought about it and wanted to ask people here about the connections or progression of what OTHERS may see as only "dressing up to be somebody else." I don't want anyone to get angry with me I understand that many here have chosen a vintage lifestyle or mode of dress to be part of their daily lives and express who they are through that approach it is part of their persona.

Do the others such as in cosplay & re-enactors become their other persona only " in costume" or how much does it carry over to daily life? How close is the conceptional relationship of a fan dressing up such as for a convention like Star Wars etc?

If you have other comparisons you'd like to make please do so.

I was also wondering if an interest in one area may lead to another like a WWII re-enactor becoming interested in swing music or maybe getting an interest in vintage?

(For me I see a point of people stepping into their life and others getting a chance to step out of their life to indulge a desire. It has been done a bit before but with new people here I thought we might revisit and get some fresh opinions too.)

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Interesting thread, John... I think this could actually go to the core of what many folks are about: do vintage clothes define your personality, or are they a reflection of yourself? Me, I consider them an outward expression of my own aesthetic principles; I consider myself a dieselpunk. When I start re-enacting properly, though, I may well build up a persona for that, but I don't imagine that there would be any significant bleed back into me - more the other way around; improv and holding a character over a long period of time is much easier when it is a bit closer to onesself in vocabulary, accent, dialect, etc.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I'll have to admit that I do get a kick out of situations where putting on a costume is involved. My motto then is, "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing." My daughter talked my wife and I into going to Dragon*Con last year and we went in full steampunk mode. It was a real kick being in such a large crowd covering all ages where everyone just let their imaginations roam free. Cosplay was the rule of the day there and it was really laid back. Even walking down the street between venues in full costume was more likely to gather positive comments from "normal" people than not.

Went to a Mardi Gras themed party last weekend and costumed up for that. More fun.

But in my daily life I'm a lot more conservative in how I dress. Most of my daily clothing would draw no notice at all, except I wear hats. And about every 20 years or so what I wear is back in fashion for about a month. ;)

Well said. I sure wouldn't consider what I'm doing to be any part of a re-enactment. I've always loved vintage styles whether in my house or on my back, so that's what I do. Much of my clothes are new, just not what you'd see on the typical 20 year old, because, frankly, I just find most modern-styled clothes to be too informal. Same with modern styles in general, furniture, electronics, appliances, everything just is cold and unfriendly. It's just my taste.

I guess one way to sum it up is this: if you've ever worried about whether you're "doing it right," you're reenacting.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
All the re-enactors I know also like vintage. They don't just "turn it on" at events and then "turn it off" when they come home. Vintage is a part of all of their lives -- a huge part. I don't understand how it could be anything else.

As for me, I don't do re-enacting. I am just me, but I go to the Reading event and walk around having fun. I usually wear a dress I have made and do my hair -- but I do that on "regular" days, too. It's a reflection of what find aestethically pleasing, and that is vintage styles.

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
Many moons ago I was active in the SCA. I had a definite persona: name, history, costumes, ect. only used for re-enactment purposes. When going to Arts & Science "class", doing leather working, archery practice, what have you, I was always "me" and only was my persona at events.

I'm currently involved in a LARP (Live Action Role Playing) where I would say my character is most like a modern me. Again, she has a history, she has certain clothing she wears, ect. She is brought out only on game nights and if I make a post on the games boards.

For day to day life, there is just me. Someone who embraces the vintage lifestyle and is currently working on making it work for me.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Most of the time (when not in work) I am between 10 - 80% vintage or vintage inspired. That is a reflection of my personality and personal tastes, but I also go to WW2 events and when I'm doing that I consider myself to be a reenactor and aim to be as authentic as I can.

Although I have always had an interest in vintage styling, starting when I was a teenager in the 80's, I strayed away in my late 20's and it was an interest in WW2 reenacting that pulled me back to it in in my everyday life the last few years.

Tiller

Practically Family
I guess one way to sum it up is this: if you've ever worried about whether you're "doing it right," you're reenacting.

I agree. I would state simply that I live in the style that I enjoy the same way everyone one else on the planet seems to. I don't dress in this style to teach people a history lesson, which is the main purpose of reenacting.

Last edited:

rue

I live what people call a vintage lifestyle, because that's how I was raised and I've always loved the history, the music and the fashions of the golden era, but I've never been a re-enactor or anything like that, so I would guess it was just progression (and being old enough not to give a hoot what people thought) that brought me into the fashion aspect of it. Unlike the Cosplay people, it's not a game to me, not that there's anything wrong with what they do.

Last edited:

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Interesting question and comments.
I love the pop culture (music, clothes, movies, radio shows and all around aesthetics) of the 1930s and 1940s and have integrated them into my life. I don't become a different person, character or persona. I wear modern clothes and golden era type clothing. Interestingly my customers are more thrown off when I wear modern clothes, especially jeans, t-shirt and a hoodie. I tell them "I'm in disguise." ;)
Most people I know agree that a fedora looks right on my head instead of looking like I'm "making a statement" or peacocking.

However anyone else chooses to wear vintage is fine by me, too.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Or, to put it another way, are you wearing the clothes, or are the clothes wearing you? ;)

I personally view re-enacting and cosplay as hobbies; a personal fascination that can be shared with others. Engaging in either activity (or both) usually requires the creation of a persona that differs from your own (particularly cosplay), but not always. This is not to say that some (or all) of the clothing items used for each activity couldn't be used in every day life; I believe it would depend on whether or not they are strictly costume items and/or whether the individual considers them to be costume items or everyday items.

Lifestyle...well, that's pretty obvious to most of us. We're not pretending to be anything other than who we are. The "vintage" clothing, cars, household items, etc., are merely a matter of personal choice; we just happen to prefer items that are commonly associated with a different era.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne: All the re-enactors I know also like vintage. They don't just "turn it on" at events and then "turn it off" when they come home. Vintage is a part of all of their lives -- a huge part. I don't understand how it could be anything else.
That's exactly how I am. Even if I would stop going to WWII events, that wouldn't change my interest in either aspect - the U-Boats or the 'vintage'...I'd still keep doing what I do...because I enjoy doing it. :)

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think the difference between cosplay/reenacting and just living a different lifestyle is exhibitionism. The former make every effort to draw your attention to their attires. They do it to be seen doing it. The latter would prefer less attention. If you're wearing a vintage ensemble and you want everybody to know it, you're the former. If you wear a vintage ensemble and go about your daily business, you're the latter.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
I just prefer the style. Always have done. Most of my friends honestly couldn't imagine me without it - it's just what I do and who I am. Quite a few of them are starting to join in or ask for clothing advice. This can only be a good thing!

For phase two, there is an old Art Deco hotel here converted into housing now and I want to live in an apartment there. Again, the reason being because I have always looked up at it and loved its style, or should I say its character?

But I've been fascinated by the period spanning 1870-1950 since I was about seven years old. Most of the books I grew up on were set at sometime during those years. It's just far more my sort of thing.

Edward

Bartender

lol That's probably not far off! ;)

All the re-enactors I know also like vintage. They don't just "turn it on" at events and then "turn it off" when they come home. Vintage is a part of all of their lives -- a huge part. I don't understand how it could be anything else.

I've known both vintage and non vintage people to be involved in re-enacting. Typically, the folks who get into military reenacting from a position of interest in military history generally or a specific period / campaign side of it are often non-vintage away from that, whereas all the folks I've known who do home front / civilian stuff tend to have at least an interest in vintage away from that specific element to it. The most marked trend I notice, though, is that the folks who re-enact early to mid Twentieth Century are far and away more likely to dress "like that" full time than any other period. I imagine practicality has a lot to do with this: I can easily wear thirties through fifties styles at work; high Victorian would probably be out, while if I showed up for a workday in full Georgian wear, I'd be carted off to the funny farm to play with the guys that think they're Napoleon.

I think the difference between cosplay/reenacting and just living a different lifestyle is exhibitionism. The former make every effort to draw your attention to their attires. They do it to be seen doing it. The latter would prefer less attention. If you're wearing a vintage ensemble and you want everybody to know it, you're the former. If you wear a vintage ensemble and go about your daily business, you're the latter.

Some certainly are exhibitionists, and to a degree it's not viable if you're someone who can't take being looked at, but I don't think it's quite exhibitionism. Often I see simply a genuine love of something about that particular historical period or conflict, and a desire to communicate that enthusiasm to others.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Edward: The most marked trend I notice, though, is that the folks who re-enact early to mid Twentieth Century are far and away more likely to dress "like that" full time than any other period. I imagine practicality has a lot to do with this
In my case - yes this is definite. Since I only do an 'on board' impression - many of my civilian clothes do 'double duty' with my uniform. It's very pragmatic for me and simply makes my life easier. But this also works in reverse in a sense - over the winter I wear my U-Boat leather jacket, and if it's really cold and I have to go out - I wear the leather trousers. :)

I think that most of the Loungers that are wearing vintage or vintage inspired clothes are at a certain level that is more acceptable for daily wear. If one were to wear their WWII re-enacting uniforms as as a daily thing it makes a step further away from what is generally accepted as daily life. Same as mentioned above the further one moves from present day to past and the clothing gets further from what is recognizable the less acceptable the public has as daily wear. Cosplay for the most part has fantasy elements that puts it further away from acceptable in most instances. So there is a pattern of moving further from what the public is used to seeing and can accept. (I just thought about the emails some of you may have seen where people put together pictures of what people wear when going to Walmart and there are some interesting photos of people challenging conventional fashion concepts. It is also an example of moving further from the publicly accepted concepts. A term sometimes used to describe the subjects of these photo sessions is Walmartians.)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
.............. That is it! :)
I never consider myself as someone who "wears a costume".. except for Halloween. :) I was raised this was (under the influence of my Grandfather), the "old" way: my moral standards and personal style may look a bit strange and OLD FASHIONED for some people, but that's just the way I live my life.
Cosplayers dress ONLY for certain occasion, anime convection or comic book fair. They get into the role playing games, they enjoy it, for a day of two. Some of them even make it a profession (so you get to have a professional Sailor Moon cosplay girls). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon Strange.. to some people. To others, that is just a way to put their Alter Ego out to play. To let the steam out.. to relax. Then they go home, take the costume of, and become themselves again.
I believe that is our main difference. I can't take my costume off to become me.. this is me. I do not wear a costume. Just "granny clothes" (as youngsters like to call it when they see me on a house music party). :) It's not just about clothes, it's a lifestyle. Right?? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn