Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lingerie opinions needed

misskkennedy

New in Town
Hi

I'm hoping to start selling some reproduction silk 1940s lingerie from original patterns that I handmake as bespoke orders (slips, french knickers etc). I was just wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me on your lingerie opinions (of course anything you want to say that deviates from these questions would be great too!!)

Question 1
Where/who do you usually buy special pieces/luxury lingerie from? Why?

Question 2
If you had the choice between an averagely priced mass manufactured piece or a bespoke/made to measure piece at a slightly higher price which would be your preference? Why?

Question 3
When would you buy a piece of luxury lingerie?

_____ Special Occasion _____ Gift
_____ Wedding/bridal trousseau _____ Treat
_____ More Often _____ Other

Question 4
What is your average budget when buying lingerie?

____________________ Everyday Lingerie
____________________ Special Pieces
____________________ Made to Measure/Bespoke

Question 5
Are you ever put off buying authentic vintage/antique pieces of Lingerie? Why?

Thanks so much for any comments

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Hi misskkennedy.

How wonderful that you will be creating these pieces. I love vintage lingerie and vintage looking lingerie.

Question 1 - I usually buy vintage pieces from ebay because on ebay there are more choices available then if I went to a local store.

Question 2 - Either option works for me because it would depend upon the look of the piece.

Question 3 - I'd buy a luxury piece whenever I found one that I liked. It wouldn't necessarily have to be for a special occasion.

Question 4 - It's hard for me to give you a figure for any of these because again it would depend upon the piece. Like anyone I would prefer to spend less money but if the piece was truly stunning I would pay more.

Question 5 - I'm not put off by buying authentic vintage nor do I have to have authentic vintage. The "look" of a piece is what grabs me - Quality - Quality - Quality.

I hope this helps in some small way. Good luck with your efforts!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Question 1
I don't have any.

Question 2
If you had the choice between an averagely priced mass manufactured piece or a bespoke/made to measure piece at a slightly higher price which would be your preference? Why?
I would have to go with mass-produced. Underwear is something I see as getting "dirty" and it is one item of clothing I don't like to police when I wear it. I like it comfy and at the end of the day I just want to put it in the laundry basket. I don't want to scrub it with my hands.

Question 3

Question 4
I usually spend 75$ every six months. That gets me 3 or 4 bras and about 8-10 pairs of underwear.

Question 5
I am a bit funny about underwear. I would never buy pre-worn, no matter how pretty it is. And no matter how hard you clean it, I still got it in my head that someone else wore them! Something about it just squicks me out.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Question 1
My nicest and most expensive pieces have come from Victoria's Secret. I usually buy them on clearance, and even then I think they are overpriced, especially for the quality.

Question 2

Mostly I would probably end up with the mass manufactured pieces. For me that is almost entirely based on price, because I am guessing that the "slightly higher" prices aren't so slight, and for the majority of my undies I can't afford to splurge. For nicer pieces, I might consider made to measure if they were fairly comparable to what I pay for nice pieces now...

Question 3

I buy nice pieces usually for special occasions. I bought quite a bit when I was getting married. Right now, I buy it for special occasions such as birthday, anniversary, or Valentine's Day, or when I find it on an exceptional sale.

Question 4

Everyday Lingerie-
  • Bras- $40 or less each (usually less)
  • Panties- $10 for 5 pairs (I've been wearing the it-se-bit-se brand from Costco for years.)
Special Pieces-
  • Bras- $40 or less
  • Panties- $15 or less
  • Merry-widow/long-line etc.- $60 or less
  • Garter-belt- $20 or less
Made to Measure/Bespoke- I've never bought any.

Question 5

Yes, for a couple reasons. I'm not squeamish about bras, nightgowns, slips and the like, but there are issues of scarcity and condition. When it comes to girdles and panties, I am squeamish and I only buy new-old stock, but again, there are issues of scarcity and condition.

I hope that helps!:)

misskkennedy

New in Town
Hi everyone, your opinions are really interesting...I was just wondering about those who said they were put off by "underwear" being hard to launder or worn previously, how you feel about things like slips, camiknickers (the all in one teddy pieces in a loose style) and loungewear such as nightgowns or lounge suit pajamas, rather than the pieces which are more intimate shall we say such as bra's and knickers

Inky

One Too Many
Question 1
I don't wear any luxury lingerie. It's just not my thing. I am all about practical and I buy when/where it's on sale. I have some Victoria Secret which I really liked but they just did not last long. I buy some bras and specialty underwear (like Spanx) at my local lingerie shop to support a small business. I also buy everyday bras and my playtex bras at my local outlet mall.

Question 2

If I had a need for luxury lingerie I would rather something made to measure since it would be a specialty item.

Question 3

Maybe for a Special Occasion or if a garment required something specific.

Question 4
I buy a couple of new bras every year, usually a beige and a black one. I don't want to spend more than $20 to $40 for a bra. As for underwear I buy as needed and the same goes for specialty undergarments.

After I retired from my career I promised to never wear hose again and since I am not a vintage purist, I stick to my promise - no hose, no stockings, so i don't have a need for those. I am pondering a girdle and will probably buy a Rago.

Question 5

I would buy vintage lingerie if it is in good condition and fits well, like any other vintage garment. A good laundering does wonders!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Question 1
I usually buy my lingerie from victoria's secret. They started this new line of retro inspired lingerie. And I've just been a sucker for it ever since. Plus having a charge there doesn't help.

Question 2
If I'm not shopping at vickies. I'll go anywhere to find great vintage/vintage inspired lingerie no matter what the price.

Question 3
I usually buy lingerie for a treat to myself. Or if a current piece has gotten yucky.

Question 4

___$20-$40__________Everyday Lingerie
___$0-$500__________Special Pieces
___$20-$80__________Made to Measure/Bespoke

Question 5
Yes, and that's only because the only place to get vintage lingerie where I live is EvilBay. And EvilBay is hell when you actually have to try and outbid someone. Since noone seems to ever put anything on a buy it now anymore.

Elaina

One Too Many
Question 1
Depending on what it's for, I make it, buy it from an adult store (I like trashy undies, what can I say?) or from a high end department store or boutique.

Question 2
I don't have one. It really depends on the piece. I'd be as likely to do both.

Question 3
All of the above.

Question 4
Everyday Lingerie- I'm busty and spend a ridiculous amount of money on bras anyway. Generally, I spend anywhere from $10-80 per bra, and I buy matching panties only when it's part of a set for casual wear, since I don't wear them enough to buy them.

Special Pieces-I wear long line bras, girdles and garter belts and have a place that I get them all from for $50. I spend 12-18 on stockings. Merry Widows run me about $120.

Made to Measure/Bespoke- The few pieces I have were bartered for. One was a gift from doing drywall on her shop and because I sew, I took pains to ensure the machine and fabric she had in there was protected above the plastic she put on there and she appreciated it. The other corset and bustle contraption I got was a gift for making her a costume.

Question 5
I almost will not wear used clothes at all, vintage or otherwise. I have to almost have tags on them, and nothing vintage. I will buy cheap old pieces and make a pattern out of them, but the idea of wearing it makes me ill.

Bonus:
Slips, and everything else is still icky. Unless I buy it for a pattern, I don't buy it.

misskkennedy

New in Town
hey again thanks for the great response. Inky i'm really glad to hear you support local and small businesses as I feel exactly the same about this, and competition from the big guys always makes things difficult for the smaller niche businesses out there

misskkennedy

New in Town
and glamourdoll I live in UK at the moment, so it was great to hear about the Victorias secret retro inspired line, thanks

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
Question 1

Special pieces to me would be reproductions of vintage underwear. I wouldn't consider any of my stuff to be luxury. For reproductions, I usually sew my own, but I have used various reproduction-esqe makers (Vermont Country Store, bulletbras.net, etc) My everyday underwear comes from department stores

Question 2

It would really depend on the piece. If it was a spot-on reproduction, quality made, comfortable,etc, I would certainly pay the higher price.

Question 3

Never bought anything luxury.

Question 4

30-40 per bra (2-4 new per year)
less than $5 per panty (resupplied when low)
20-25 for a slip (one new every few years)
10-20 for a box of stockings (every 3 years or so)
30-? for a girdle (every 5 years or so)
25ish in fabric per year for sewing underthings
(I'm sure I'm leaving something out)

Question 5
I don't wear originals, so if it's not something useful for drafting a pattern off of, or collecting it, I won't buy it. I also wouldn't pay the average going price for any original garment... I hunt for deals.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Question 1
My bras typically run $60-80 and are considered luxury brands but are the only companies who make my size (38HH in UK bras). I buy them where ever has the best price.

Question 2
I would love to be able to buy bras at a cheaper price. Because I can't, I have to budget other items.
Question 3
I buy 4-5 new bras every 6 months. I don't own any other specialty lingerie

Question 4

$60-80 per bra, $5 for a 3pack of panties Everyday Lingerie
I don't own special or made-to-order items.

Question 5
I have vintage girdles and bras, but would not own worn panties or nightgowns or other specialty lingerie.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Question 1
Local lingerie store

Question 2
mass-made; my size fluctuates too much to spend a lot on expensive custom made piece.

Question 3
rarely, although I did for my honeymoon

Question 4
$5-10 panties; $50-75 bras;
Bras- I have a hard-to-fit size, can't buy at dept stores

Question 5
I've bought vintage slips and I'd like a robe; but I wouldn't buy tap pants, camisole, girdle or anything like that.

misskkennedy

New in Town
Hi moxie girl, you said you wouldn't spend the going rate on vintage...what do you find that to be? I'm just curious, thanks

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Oooh, fun!

Question 1

Agent Provocateur, Cameo Intimates, Secrets in Lace, What Katie Did. They have vintage-inspired styles and look pretty!

Question 2

It would depend on the piece. For something like a corset, I'd probably never buy off the rack again. To me, a MTM piece usually means the manufacturer has put more time and effort into the product, so I don't mind paying a bit more.

Question 3

Whenever I feel like it/have the money! :)

Question 4

With the exception of my AP stuff (which I buy rarely!), I usually spend between $25-$60 on a bra, $5-$15 on panties, $25-$50 on foundation garments...I'm not going into corset costs! lol

Question 5

Yes, if the pieces appear to have obvious use. I buy NOS vintage lingerie whenever I can, as it usually fits me better and costs less!

Hope that helps! I'm a bit of a lingerie addict and am looking forward to hearing more from you! :)

Foofoogal

Banned
I am a vintage lingerie addict. I buy and sell and actually have a collection I have collected with the thought of going to surprise my grandaughters one day. This may sound odd but I find great unique stuff and find it is much better made then off the rack one can find usually. ( have no clue what kind of junk will be selling by the time they are old enough to wear it. )
One thing I would splurge maybe on for a good seamstress to make me would be silk or silk like pajamas. Summer and winter. I can never ever find a summer pajama set with sleeves. I have to have sleeves. lol Usually vintage pajamas are so tiny in the waist. I like comfort for sleep.
I bought a set that was so pretty on ebay I thought would work. I am not kidding when I say I washed them and every single seam came out. It was so hilarious I couldn't be mad.
If one knows vintage lingerie names one can find very nice vintage.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

cecil

A-List Customer
Hey there! I'd love to do something like this myself one day. Just be careful though, the copyright for some of the old patterns might still be valid.

Question 1

I buy them from local department stores but I'd like to buy some online from places like What Katie Did when I next have the money and occasion.

Question 2

I'd go the bespoke. If I was going to spend up on luxury lingerie I'd rather pay extra for better fabric and fit. Also it would mean that I could have things in the colours I wanted, right?

Question 3

__X___ Special Occasion _____ Gift
__X___ Wedding/bridal trousseau __X___ Treat

haha, notice I didn't say 'gift'. So selfish! I couldn't bear to buy luxury lingerie and then have to part with it, hahahaha.

Question 4

Everyday Lingerie:
Cheap. $5-$15 Australian for panties. I don't wear bras on a daily basis.
Special Pieces: $150ish Australian for a set. Bearing in mind I don't buy special things very often.
Made to Measure/Bespoke: Really depends on what it is. For a set I suppose up to $300 Australian depending on how elaborate it was.

Question 5

Pft, heavens no! I don't know, the whole "eww it's someone's old underwear" thing never bothered me. I wear old dresses that have been in contact with people's armpits before, I don't see how lingerie is that different. Still, I'd be more afraid to wear it as often as something new as I'd imagine it would be way more fragile.

Good luck! I would totally buy tap pants from you!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question 1

Haven't done so for over a decade due to quality of well water at our home - it discolors and deteriorates clothing due to salt and mineral content. We just got city water, so I can consider purchases like this again.

Question 2

Depends on the item. I don't treat my lingerie very well, and my higher quality items always requires hand-washing, so that's more of my time. I would love to have bespoke that is made sturdily (spelling?)

Question 3

x Special Occasion _____ Gift
_____ Wedding/bridal trousseau x Treat

Question 4

$35-70+ per piece Everyday Lingerie
$150+ (rare purchases) Special Pieces
$500 minimum (When I could afford it) Made to Measure/Bespoke (have had a custom corset made over a decade ago; would consider another)

Question 5

Yes, I've collected vintage for over 30 years and do NOT collect vintage underwear, only nightgowns and slips, etc. I do not collect vintage undergarments, as I consider them icky.

misskkennedy

New in Town
cecil, yes bespoke would mean you could have fabric choice and colours etc, trims, alterations to shapes and details, lengths etc...made just for your specification. I'l have to post my website when i finally get it up and running

misskkennedy

New in Town
foofoogal, i adore the idea of building a trousseau for your grandaughters....i did a simmilar thing making special soft silk pieces with antique lace for my ex partners sisters bridal trousseau when she got married. I'm sure they'll really appreciate it for the sentiment aswell as for the physical pieces.

I'm shocked at the pajamas you bought, were they new or vintage? I wouldn't have been laughing, i would have been angrily sat there with my sewing machine swearing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy