Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Luggage Construction Methods?

MB5

One of the Regulars
Is anyone familiar with vintage luggage construction, specifically suitcases?

Were they typically wood boxes covered in leather or canvas or wood frames creating a soft side with a central support structure or just sewn leather? Different photos seem to indicate all were options, but was there a more common technique? Does the reduction in wood reflect the weight restrictions imposed by air travel?

I have seen references to using 1/4" plywood in custom case construction and modern references to vulcanized fiberboard, but I have not been able to find complete instructions.

Thank you!

Mike K.

One Too Many
I can only speak from experience with the vintage luggage set that I own. It is a very simple wood box construction with an overlay of lacquered tweed cloth. Edges are trimmed with leather, but this is simply glued on and mostly acts as a bumper against getting knocked around. The wood "skeleton" is maybe 1/4 inch thick at the most. Actually my largest vintage suitcase weighs less than any modern luggage around the house (with the exception of a simple duffel bag). I think it was like most other things - people just found a way to make more products, more cheaply, and the quality craftsmanship of vintage luggage fell by the wayside. If you have the woodworking means to make something along the lines of a cigar box just up-size the project, add the cloth & lacquer along with some trim, and you'll have it. All the best!

MB5

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the information. It sounds like it should be relatively simple.

Could you tell me how the hinges work? Are they external, covered with a leather patch or are they internal?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hinges are external with a unique slider mechanism built in. I'll try to get some pictures posted after I get back from the Lounge event on the Queen Mary.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hi everyone, I figured rather than start an entirely new thread I'd post my question here since it's suitcase related, please bear with me.

I just recieved a beautiful suit and train case set for my birthday, from about the 20's and while the locks on both do turn and catch they're really resistant, and I'm worried about the key either getting stuck in the mechanism, or me applying so much force that it breaks.

Does anyone have any ideas for helping the lock slide along a little better?

Thanks a bunch:)
CD

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
Hi everyone, I figured rather than start an entirely new thread I'd post my question here since it's suitcase related, please bear with me.

I just recieved a beautiful suit and train case set for my birthday, from about the 20's and while the locks on both do turn and catch they're really resistant, and I'm worried about the key either getting stuck in the mechanism, or me applying so much force that it breaks.

Does anyone have any ideas for helping the lock slide along a little better?

Thanks a bunch:)
CD

Spray WD-40 (hardware store) into the lockset's keyhole, the key, and along the slide. When you purchase the WD-40 makes sure you get the red plastic straw extension to afix to the spray nozzle.

M8

Mike K.

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
Thanks for the help gentlemen, I'll be sure to give the graphite and WD 40 a try:)
Just don't use them both together or you'll end up with a real mess.

MB5 - I don't have my macro lens at the moment, but I'll try to get some close-up photos of those suitcase hinges as soon as possible.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Back on topic...

I have this late '40s vintage Hartmann woodbox pullman:
HartTweed29incPullman.gif

It has a wood frame made of basswood, tweed fabric sides and belting leather around the perimeter.

Hartmann still makes them, virtually unchanged from mine. Go here:
http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail.asp?sku=0030

For classic luggage to die for, try this site:
http://www.classicluggage.com/

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Eeep! I can just imagine:eusa_doh: lol I'll give the graphite a try first, then move on to the heavy business if that doesn't work. Thanks again:)

Feraud

Bartender
Wolfmanjack said:
I have this late '40s vintage Hartmann woodbox pullman:
HartTweed29incPullman.gif

It has a wood frame made of basswood, tweed fabric sides and belting leather around the perimeter.
Nice piece of luggage.
How durable is the wood frame?

MB5

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
MB5 - I don't have my macro lens at the moment, but I'll try to get some close-up photos of those suitcase hinges as soon as possible.

Thanks for the update.

Wolfmanjack said:
For classic luggage to die for, try this site:
http://www.classicluggage.com/

That is the style of luggage that inspired me to make my own, Swaine Adeney and Brigg specifically, and that site gives some hints at construction that the SAB site does not and has a lot more pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner