Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage mens Bathing Suits and Swim Trunks

Edward

Bartender
Maybe ladies in general just have better taste in classy swimwear. The number of men I see in Speedos...... deary me. The Speedo is a lot like a nylon shellsuit in that no-one ever looked good in one. not to meniton Peter Stringfellow in his thong. :eek:

Ir seems to me that in general, though, there's a lot more in the way of vintage reproduction clothing available for women. Is this simply a reflection of a larger female market for this sort of thing?

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Pardon me for reviving this older discussion but I thought perhaps these UDT Navy Seal Swim Trunks might fit the bill for those of you seeking mens vintage style swimwear.

1666_big.jpg

http://www.usnavysealstore.com/site_map/NAVY_SEAL___UDT_SWIM_TRUNKS.htm

Navy Seal & UDT Swim Trunks
Classic WWII Underwater Demolition Team swim training trunks with no frills. Meant for real men who don't want all the fancy trimmings and frills found on ordinary swimwear.

Developed for the famous UDT frogmen of WWII for wear during training and water work. These shorts are cut using the original U.S. Government Naval patterns from WWII. These swimmer trunks are the real man basic style with no inside netting. Used today for UDT and SEAL training. These are the genuine ORIGINAL Swim Shorts worn by the U.S. Navy SEAL Teams. Tight look for the beach or in the water. Standard features
- Button fly
- Waist adjusting front pull strap
- Mil-Spec black anodized brass D-rings
- Single patch pocket on the hip
- Cotton/Polyester twill fabric.

One thing to note is that since I understand these shorts are bereft of any sort of lining and you would do well to add some form of coverage before stepping out into a family friendly environment :)

dr greg

One Too Many
how very dare you

[I said:
Edward]Maybe ladies in general just have better taste in classy swimwear. The number of men I see in Speedos...... deary me. The Speedo is a lot like a nylon shellsuit in that no-one ever looked good in one. [/I]IrQUOTE]

Seeing as Speedo's are our national costume, I must take issue with your comment, I have a fab pair of 40's Nylon Speedo's as well as some more modern ones known by the oafs who wear voluminous "surf" wear as DT's or budgie smugglers...if you actually SWIM instead of ponce around on the shore, Speedo's are incomparable...less drag, less unsightly billowing of acres of useless fabric around you in the water making you look like an edwardian dowager in a bustle, more CLASS in general....I could go on...and on.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Discovered these ones:

They are made by the French company called 'HOM' (original eh!!) and have a vintage look to them. Also have a little discreet pocket to keep your key in too, which is handy! I used these all the time in France last week and really rate them. Unlike the old 'wool' ones, these are a little bit more supportive when wet!!!

(Stock Photo below from the Hom range of men's swimwear which shows them off to better effect than I ever could).

Just search online, as they are an international company.

homswin.jpg

Doug C

Practically Family
Paddy, I think they're cool.. I will probably pick some up for our personal home pool at some point - I couldn't get away with them anywhere else. And hey, anyone else find that "birdwell beach britches" site is SOO damn annoying!! I'm excited about them and just want to see the product! Instead you get nothing but colorfull chaos :rage: , I have a feeling they're cool though. rant over.

Doug C

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up

Doug C

Practically Family
I like it! Oh, I see they sell the birdwell on ebay and will definately be picking some up. Thanks Mike for the link to begin with.
Doug C

Mike K.

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Most American men (who don't play soccer!) can't say the same ...
lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Birdwells, their operation is to surf trunks what J. Chapman is to leather flight jackets...they make one thing really really well. Even though I like the look of the belted swim shorts of yesteryear, they just don't work for me. Marc is right about me at least...playing soccer takes a back seat to other sporting pursuits. Personally, I love the sturdy nylon trunks like they used to make 'em in the glory days of longboarding.

birdw_LNGred.jpg
birdwell02-l.jpg

Of course, during those glory days of longboarding the belted trunk was also still quite common as seen here. The boardshort is said to have been developed around this same time by surfers to overcome the problems associated with the belt and abrasion it caused to both body and surf board when paddling out.

TB2~Tom-Blake-on-Waikiki-Beach-1929-Posters.jpg
TomBlake1939_DocBall.jpg

41ypVs8eSPL.jpg
lrg259.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
What you commonly see here (at least in No. Calif where I am) is the extremes; either super skinny EMO and goth types (not sure they even wear shorts), or at the local YMCA over-muscled jocks or H.S. kids wearing the hanging off your butt long, baggy shiny synthetic exercise quasi-basketball pants. :eek: Yuck! Get tired of seeing nothing but the baggy "jam" style swim trunks on guys.

Strictly speaking from a gal's perspective these Hom vintage style swim shorts, and soccer induced muscular quads and calves as modeled by Paddy is a refreshing and wonderful change of pace, like a breath of fresh air! NICE legs Paddy-woohoo! ;)

Marc Chevalier said:
Paddy succeeds in it because he has well-shaped thighs and calves. Most American men (who don't play soccer!) can't say the same ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran