Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Motorcycles

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Anyone else here into older bikes?

My current project, a '77-'76-'73'ish BMW. Still a bit rough looking but it purrs.

109467596-M.jpg

110858264-M.jpg

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Sure. Old, new, I like and ride them all.
I've been looking for a '72 Triumph Bonneville like the one I used to own for a restoration project. Trouble is that they were customized so much that its either a dog, or they want too much for a decent example.
But I'm still looking.
Good luck on your project. It looks pretty good now anyway. I love those cafe style tail sections and BMW's last forever.

Scary Mc

Familiar Face
Tommy Fedora said:
Sure. Old, new, I like and ride them all.
I've been looking for a '72 Triumph Bonneville like the one I used to own for a restoration project. Trouble is that they were customized so much that its either a dog, or they want too much for a decent example.
But I'm still looking.
Good luck on your project. It looks pretty good now anyway. I love those cafe style tail sections and BMW's last forever.

I was in Portland recently and happened into an old Brit m/c shop that had literally dozens of BSA and Triumph resto projects in various states of repair. Most of the bikes were for sale. I'll see if I can find the name for you.

My other ride is an '06 Buell Ulysses. It's my traveling bike. I wish the ice would melt off the roads.

renor27

One of the Regulars
"vintage" bikes

Nice BMW "cafe" bike.
My ride a 1964 BMW R60/2 with 1942 Stoye sidecar. ( if i could only figure out how to post a photo I would ) Also sitting in parts another BMW /2 twin and an BMW R27 ( mid 1960's 250cc single ) and a Steib S500 sidecar that I should do something with sell or restore can not make up my mind.
David

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Love vintage bikes. I will probably own a modern one someday, but not yet.

I guess I appreciate golden era, but my favorite are 60s Hondas, first bike and many a restoration or get running project. Dreams, superhawks etc. I am only 40, but I bet there are some older guys here who remember or rode those.

I currently own a restoration project of my favorite Honda, the a 1966 450 black bomber.

BIKE3.jpg

I ride a Moto Guzzi '74 Eldorado. Heavily customized. I didn't do it. I would probably go for a more traditional cruiser style, but I saw it and loved it and had the money set aside for the right bike.

Picture087-1.jpg

Another one wiht my littie friend.

Photo_061806_001.jpg

I might have to sell to finance myself while I complete a real estate project. If so, I will buy another soon. Which is why I was watching this last night. Suprised it didn't go for any more. It surely will this spring. this is probably a little more of what I wanted anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...ategoryZ6713QQihZ013QQitemZ230079025945QQrdZ1

I have owned a number of /5 beemers. Love the seat. I had a corbin gunfighter on mine that looked very similar, but sold it to buy the guzzi. They are very different so I might buy another /. Wouldn't mind a /2 at all.

Love older bikes and brit bikes, but I like to ride not tinker so much.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Give me something from the 40's with a sidecar and all you would see were the tailights, faiding into the distance. Oh and the shrieks of joy from a very happy girl.................lol

renor27

One of the Regulars
sidecars for BMW

Yes a hack ( sidecar ) some times can cost you more then a /5 or /6 BMW and other times not. New Russian hacks will set you back $2000.00 a used on from Ebay say $1200.00.
Origian German sidecars ( Stoyes or Stiebs ) go from $1500. for a basket case ( which is what I buy) to over $7000.00 for a restored one.
With some elbow grease and a little work you can rebuild a basket case to be a nice daily driver for around $3500.00 ( thast cost of the hack pluss new paint etc )
David

warbird

One Too Many
I owned several street bikes in college and for several years after.

My love was my 49 Harley Panhead with suicide clutch and shift on the tank. Felt like Brando and the Wild One boys riding that bike. Yes, I know Brando rode a Triumph in the movie, but there were plenty of Harleys in it too. Took a lot of work to keep it running but it was a labor of love. My neighbor gave it to me essentially in numerous boxes for caring to his cows while he was sick. I had raced dirt bikes all my life and had an old Mustang so he knew I could fix it up. He offered me cash or the bike, I took the bike.

My other regular ride was a BMW R75. Loved that bike too. Don't remember the year, but I seem to recall it being an early 80's.

Merlin

Familiar Face
Scary Mc said:
My current project, a '77-'76-'73'ish BMW. Still a bit rough looking but it purrs.

Nice ride! I'm in the middle (well, maybe more like the beginning) of reassembling my '72 R75/5. I used to think that nothing pissed me off quite like the Stromberg carbs on a '71 Mercedes that I used to drive. Then I discoverd the Bing carbs on the BMW, and it opened up a whole new world of frustration for me. Still, hopefully by this summer I'll have it mostly reassembled. Until then, I'll just keep polishing the toaster tank. . .

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Merlin said:
Nice ride! I'm in the middle (well, maybe more like the beginning) of reassembling my '72 R75/5. I used to think that nothing pissed me off quite like the Stromberg carbs on a '71 Mercedes that I used to drive. Then I discoverd the Bing carbs on the BMW, and it opened up a whole new world of frustration for me. Still, hopefully by this summer I'll have it mostly reassembled. Until then, I'll just keep polishing the toaster tank. . .

I have heard they are touchy. The carbs on the 600 are much simpler and never gave me any trouble. Bings? I don't recall.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I love vintage bikes. My husband got me into vintage cars, i got him into vintage bikes. I have 74 cb 360 honda. I really want a Trumpet. Bonni if possible, hopefully it's on the list to own someday. I really enjoyed riding in the back country of Wisconsin. Following the horse and buggies.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here are some really terrible shots of my bike. It's a mint condition 1978 honda cb125s. It has under 600 original miles on it. The story is, the original owner dropped it within the first year of owning it, and that scared him enough to keep it in the garage. He sold it. The second owner bought it for his daughter, but within a month of her getting her drivers licence, she wrapped both family cars around telephone poles. So, it sat in the guy's barn. He was a friend of a friend, and was moving, so our friend got him in touch with me. I bought it for 200 bucks. With the exception of very minor scrapes on one peg and the corresponding clutch lever, it's in absolute mint condition. (it's just dusty in the pictures because I don't have my licence yet, and my folks won't let me ride it 'till I do)

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
There are some nice bikes shown and mentioned here!

I'd love a vintage BMW to fix up and ride. I do have a '72 Yamaha XS650 that I bought on eBay. I also bought an '82 Kawasaki 440LTD for my wife, but we wound up giving it to our son.

I also have a '92 BMW K75S and a 2003 BMW K1200GT.

Cheers,
Tom

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hard for me to get into the seventies bikes for myself. I guess I am just old enough to remember them. But my friends ar all a little younger and are crazy about them as old vintage time capsules. I do dig them, the whole se enties bike culture, and how my friend are in a club and wear their hair shaggy like in a seventies flat tracker movie or Alice's Restaurant.

The exception is BMWs and Moto Guzzis. I guess Harleys too. Those marks all kept very traditional older looking styles, but by mid seventies BMW and MG were also going in for the snappy graphics and colors and such.

That one is a beauty in such pristine condition.

Forgot to mention, my 66 450 honda came to me with 600 kilometers on the clock. It was actually an asian model and somehow brought into the country many years ago and sat in a barn.

I don't want to think too hard about what would make someone import a bike from asia and only ride it 600 ks. But my guess is Viet Nam.

D

drafttek

I built this Triumph Daytona a few years back. I bought it in stock form for $50 from a backyard. I wanted the '40s bobber look. It had a foot clutch and jockey shift. I just loved the on/off-road tires. I still have a spare motor if anyone is interested.
Bike07.jpg

The bike in the background is a '82 Honda 450 Hondamatic (no clutch) with only 680 miles!
My current bike is a '80 Honda CB750F SuperSport. Got that one for free.
I'm currently infatuated with this one:
http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2006/ducatiModel.jhtml?family=sportclassic&modelName=SMART1000LE-06

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats