Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage music!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
(Is this the right forum for this thread?)

who are your favorites? I am on an Al Jolson kick right now, and the Andrews Sisters. Dean Martin is probably my favorite all-time, then Sinatra. Also Jimmy Durante and Louis Prima. I-Tunes is really facilitating on a lot of popular vintage music. I listen to the two streaming stations that were linked on here in another thread somewhere and I love them! I have them streaming 12 hours a day.
Anyone care to share their favorites/make recommendations?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Right now I am really interested in vintage tango as well as Viennese waltzes. A strange combination I know!

For tango my current favorites are:
Anibal Troilo
Orchestra Tipica Victor
Juan D'Arienzo

My two favorite Strauss waltzes are:
Vienna Bonbons
Gartenlaube

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't get enough Billie Holiday

and of course I love Benny Goodman's work, hence my Lounge membership name.

It's unbelievable, and also great for my budget, that the music stores here are throwing away some of the best music ever made for just a couple of bucks per CD. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby from the 1930's. I've got a brilliant version of 'Dinah' that starts a medium pace, then halfway through the tempo increases and the Mills Bros join in with Bing. Smooth as silk.

I've got two 'Fabulous Forties' box sets that I listen to a lot, and I'm mad about all the Swing bands, from Andy Kirk to Count Basie to Woody Herman.
And Dean Martin . . . now that guy was cool. Hannigan, whaddya think of Nat 'King' Cole? Man, the list could go on and on . . .

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Check out the original 78's, Big band era 78's are generally fairly cheap, toss 'em on a schoolhouse type Califone phonograph, and you can hear them the way they were intended.

They'll outlive modern self destructing CD's.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've been collecting 78s since I was 13 (first records I ever bought for myself were a Columbia album set of the Benny Goodman Sextet,) and have been accumulating them ever since. Right now they have a whole closet to themselves, and I've had to scale back on new purchases for the sake of lack of space...

I've got a lot of music from the late twenties/early thirties era, a period which produced some really lovely songs. My current listening is focusing mostly on mid-thirties pop -- Crosby, the Boswell Sisters, Dick Powell, Mildred Bailey, etc. -- as well as the dance bands of that era.

There's a *lot* of vintage music to be found most any day on the Usenet binary groups -- try alt.binaries.sounds.78rpm-era and you're bound to find something nifty!

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
I second the recommendation of Rhapsody. You can pick an artist, click on "Artist So-and-So Radio," and voila! You've got a radio station that streams music of that artist and similar ones. Plus, you can stream the service from their website, so as long as you're near a computer you'll never be without it.

Try the Atomic Fireballs!

Rosie

One Too Many
I'm glad someone posted this

I would like some music recommendations from you guys. Right now, I LOVE Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald (LOVING ELLA, I listen to her much of the day) Coltrane, Miles Davis, Benny Goodman, Nina Simone, Ellington, Jimmy Scott but truthfully, no one I know listens to older music and so, I don't know which albums are "essentials", etc. Not very long ago, someone posted a song by Billie I had never heard as well as a great song by an orchestra, I liked those a lot so, any suggestions guys?:)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
My absolute top favorites are Nat King Cole and Billy Eckstine.:)

For easy listening I also like Perry Como, Keely Smith (with or without Louis Prima). For jazz I like Brubeck, Monk, Miles Davis,Getz, Simone, Etta James and of course, Ella! I also enjoy the "Rat Pack" singers, Sinatra/Dean Martin/Sammy Davis Jr and Bobby Darin (in his later years)

Where I live, I cannot get any type of Jazz or what used to be called, "Music of Your Life" type radio stations :mad: . Our cable station (Comcast) does offer music stations with the digital cable plan, so I have that tuned in all day long (or until my 4 year old wants to watch cartoons!)

Novella

Practically Family
I love Annette Hanshaw, the Boswell Sisters, Cliff Edwards, Dick Powell, and late 20s/early 30s jazz dance bands. I've been on a Dick Powell kick since I watched the Busby Berkeley musicals he's in.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Novella said:
I love Annette Hanshaw, the Boswell Sisters, Cliff Edwards, Dick Powell, and late 20s/early 30s jazz dance bands. I've been on a Dick Powell kick since I watched the Busby Berkeley musicals he's in.

Dick Powell is so cool! I love the Busby Berkeley movies he's in! The way he sang "I only have eyes for you" just sends me! I'm a big fan of his and the early to mid 30's films he was in! Got to love 42nd street!

Did I hear 78's? Hahahaha oh man, don't even get me started! There is nothing I love more then the sound of a real 78rpm on a vintage player! My 1940 GE is the player I use! She's a 78rpm only player. The sound that comes out of that thing is magic!

My taste spans from the 20's to the late 40's. I do buy some 50's rock or pop only on 78rpm though. Any one here have some 78's with the "Perfect" label? It has two women kneeling with a great sun burst! Such a pretty label! I have only one on this lable and the A side is "On the good ship lollypop" it's so early 30's!!! I LOVE IT! I'm a big time Boswell fan, early Bing Crosby fan and well, just about anything from the late 20's and to the early 40's fan!

=WR=

shindeco

A-List Customer
While on holiday in Asia, I discovered the girl singers from Shanghai in the 30s and 40s. Some fabulous music! Pathe has rereleased a lot of the recordings. Some good names are Lee Hsiang Lan (also spelled Li Xiang Lan) who has a voice like Deanna Durbin; Bai Kwong (Bai Gwong) and Yao Lee.

Vladimir, if you're into vintage tangos, check out some of these singers; they all recorded tangos (as well as rumbas) but all in Chinese!

If you have a Shanghai Tang store nearby, go in and just listen to the background music. They have 6 different songs that they play. They sell the CD; it's pretty good but fairly pricey. You only get 6 songs and the same 6 songs remixed as modern pop songs. If you go in to listen, you may get the remixed versions. Go for coffee and go back later; it will cycle through!

If only I could find the original 78s of these...!!

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
also try... Fred Waring, Coon-Sanders, Teddy Weems, George Olsen, Jimmy Lunceford, Woody Herman(HAPPY BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY!), Will Bradley, the Dorseys, Artie Shaw, ..... I could go on forever. Those are a good bunch to start with. Check out http://www.wfuv.org/wfuv/conaty.html. Every Sunday night from 8 to midnight on the air and also streaming on the web archived broadcasts. IT'S AMAZING! Ciao.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, any one ever see this label? I mentioned it in my last post I think but, here's an image of what it looks like! I want more on this label!

78-California%20Here%20I%20Come.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
That label is perfect...

I'm stuck on fast paced 20's stuff at the moment Fletcher Henderson, Mills Brothers are my favorite... Radio Dismuke my friends, Radio Dismuke...

I have some random 78's from my friends Beauregards insane, "here take these kid" days back when we would get up at 5 to hit estate sales Now I randomely do that myself here in Ventura... anywho... Yeah, old music better... like fire to the cave man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo