Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

They closed their soda fountain last year.

1ABC6AC2-C13F-4DFC-A602-A1A160570D5C.jpeg

This movie and the Wizard of Oz are some of the few that I can think of that I don't mind
the staged background sets. :)

I think the staged sets add to the "atmosphere" of "The Petrified Forest." It's a poetic movie that is not about capturing realism but a romantic notion of life which the staged sets contribute to.

"Uncle Bill's" might be about pancakes, but he knows what brings them in. That's why instead of an image of a stack of pancakes at the top of his sign, he's got a cocktail (with the cherry, I'm thinking Manhattan, but it should have brown liquor - what the heck though, I'd still be pulling over).

e497436b158344e81107971f98812602.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I think the staged sets add to the "atmosphere" of "The Petrified Forest." It's a poetic movie that is not about capturing realism but a romantic notion of life which the staged sets contribute to.

1930s Tarzan with Weissmuller and scenes depicting wildlife which is poor stock footage quality made tolerable because of the one and only....
s-l300.jpg

"Hooray for Hollywood!”
k3osad.jpg

1930s Tarzan with Weissmuller and scenes depicting wildlife which is poor stock footage quality made tolerable because of the one and only....
View attachment 121395

"Hooray for Hollywood!”
k3osad.jpg

Maureen O'Sullivan in "Tarzan and his Mate" is the best of that lot IMHO and not because of the famous body-double scene (nothing wrong with it and, by today's standards, it's more artsy than provocative), but because she's a confident woman equal to / better than the men and with a heck of a lot more personality and spirit than Tarzan.

That one, and all in the series, have to be seen in the spirit they were made - cheesy, fun, somewhat kid oriented and of the period. I enjoy them when they are on and I'm in the right mood for '30s action-adventure escapism. I don't seek them out, but sometimes they are on at the perfect moment.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Maureen O'Sullivan in "Tarzan and his Mate" is the best of that lot IMHO and not because of the famous body-double scene (nothing wrong with it and, by today's standards, it's more artsy than provocative), but because she's a confident woman equal to / better than the men and with a heck of a lot more personality and spirit than Tarzan.

That one, and all in the series, have to be seen in the spirit they were made - cheesy, fun, somewhat kid oriented and of the period. I enjoy them when they are on and I'm in the right mood for '30s action-adventure escapism. I don't seek them out, but sometimes they are on at the perfect moment.
I saw an interview where she said she did her own swimming and afterwards had to hide for a time because of that scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen