Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Nylon Stocking Sizes

kitty

New in Town
Hi Ladies!
I'm looking at some vintage stockings on Ebay, and I'm trying to figure out how the sizing works. Most I see are size 10, 10 1/2, or 11. Doesn't anyone know the height/weight these sizes fit. Is there a vintage stocking sizing chart floating around somewhere on the Internet?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Steph

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Vintage stockings sizes are based on foot size and then come in short, medium, and long based on height and/or weight.

I'm sure there are other sizing guides, but this one is quite comprehensive.

Edit: Oops! Why must there always be questionable content on these sites?

Do a google search for "Stocking Size Chart" and I think it's in the top of the results listing.

Sorry, ladies!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Teeny bit of warning, gals. . . don't browse other pages of the above linked website at work. :eusa_doh:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Vintage stockings run much smaller/shorter then modern ones, and the fibers used are not as stretchy, so if you have very long legs or fuller thighs then you may have trouble finding a comfortable fit.

In short, stocking size can run about 1/2 size to 2 1/2 sizes smaller then shoe size.

If you google Stocking Showcase, you will find a shoe size/foot length conversion chart.

I purchase the largest foot size with the longest length possible (generally 10.5-11.5 with a 34-35 inch length, sometimes marked as "for tall girls") as my legs are fairly long and curvy, and I still find that the sizing is hit or miss depending on the brand, etc. For general reference I am 5'6" and wear a size 7.5 shoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot