Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage photography

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I recently decided to try using my old 1930's Voigtlander Superb camera that my father bought in 1938 (I recently found the receipt!!!) It requires a light meter to get the f stop and exposure correct. I've been bidding, unsuccessfully so far, on a light meter. However I discovered from various photography bb's that you can use a digital camera as a light meter, as they have all the components necessary. I played around with it a little and it seems very possible. Does anybody out there use a vintage camera? What kind of results have you gotten?
Here it is, it's a twin lens reflex, meaning the viewfinder has its own lens. Somewhat cumbersome to look through the top, and the image is reversed left to right. But it takes great pictures.
Voigtlanderfrontclose.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I use this,....

Agfa-Ansco002.jpg
[/IMG]

My Agfa Ansco, and an Olympus OM 2 which has a very accurate light meter.
Your camera probably takes 620 roll film? A bit pricey on ebay, but still available. If it uses 120 like my old Kodak twin lens did, you're in luck as it is still manufactured and readily available.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, Scotrace, it's b/w PAPER that Kodak stopped manufacturing. They still make a nice range of b/w films in 35mm, 120, and 4x5.

I also just checked at B&H, and they list several 620-format rollfilms, though they're not cheap.

And Major Nick, I also love my OM-2 - one the all-time great SLRs, and the only one I still use regularly. (My dad's Nikon F2s still work beautifully, but they're so huge and heavy in comparison to the OMs!)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Voigtlander

Luckily it uses 120 film. I went out (actually my gf got it for me) and bought several rolls, iso 100, iso 400, etc. I'll post the results if they're worth looking at. I'd like to see other peoples' results with antique cameras.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
And Major Nick, I also love my OM-2 - one the all-time great SLRs, and the only one I still use regularly. (My dad's Nikon F2s still work beautifully, but they're so huge and heavy in comparison to the OMs!)
I think I'll collect about all the OMs Doc,...I like 'em that much. :eusa_clap

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Luckily it uses 120 film. I went out (actually my gf got it for me) and bought several rolls, iso 100, iso 400, etc. I'll post the results if they're worth looking at. I'd like to see other peoples' results with antique cameras.
You bet. Soon as I get my film, which shouldn't be long, I'm heading out to shoot some vintage architecture and autos for pictures. Can't wait to see the results. :)

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I have a 1927ish Kodak folding pocket camera. I bought it for about 30 bucks in Portobello Road in London. It works fine and takes great pictures. And 120 film is still easy to get.:eusa_clap

KilroyCD

One Too Many
It's good that it uses 120 film, as that's a bit easier to find and less costly than 620. Most 620 film I've seen offered lately actually started out as 120 and was cut down to 620. I used to get most of my obsolete film sizes online at J and C Photo, but unfortunately they are no longer in business. It appears as though Freestyle Photographic Supplies is carrying many of the obsolete sizes J and C used to carry (but not 620).

KilroyCD

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Does anybody out there use a vintage camera? What kind of results have you gotten?
QUOTE]

I use a few vintage cameras, usually at living history events. They include a 1941 Argus AA (35mm), a 1940 Speed Graphic 4x5 and a Kodak RF35. I have a prewar Argus c-3 waiting in the wings for me to try, as well as an Argus Model A (also prewar) that is still in the original box. Hardly looks used.
Of the cameras I've used, the easiest was the Argus AA, but the photos aren't quite as crisp as they are with the Speed Graphic. Here's a shot taken with the AA.
mj730bw2.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I recently decided to try using my old 1930's Voigtlander Superb camera that my father bought in 1938 (I recently found the receipt!!!) It requires a light meter to get the f stop and exposure correct.

Well really, for B&W film , you dont need a light meter that much. Its slides that are more critical.
BAck in the golden-age a lot of photogs just used a 'sunny 16' rule as a starting place to judge the light for a shot.
When the USMC were training the first combat photog classes, the commanding officer, Thayer Soule, walked into one class, took all there tripods & lightmeters & chastised the instructor saying there'd be no time for that sort of setup in combat.

B&W is very forgiving.

One other thing. Vintage cameras usually need a little love. Sure your could squeeze off a few odd shots & be ok, but really those old lubricants may have dried up decades ago. It really pays to invest in an overhaul. Or check websites on how to do it yourself.
-b

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
One other thing. Vintage cameras usually need a little love. Sure your could squeeze off a few odd shots & be ok, but really those old lubricants may have dried up decades ago. It really pays to invest in an overhaul. Or check websites on how to do it yourself.
-b
I found the name of a guy in Virginia who restores Voigtlanders. I plan to do that as soon as possible.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
120 roll film which is still readily available, can be rewound onto 620 spools as it is actually the same size. The only real difference between the two apparently is the spool's size. http://www.acecam.com/faq/127-620.html
From what I could tell, the diameter of the spool was smaller, making a roll of 620 film only eight exposures. I believe the 120 spools were twelve exposures.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
From what I could tell, the diameter of the spool was smaller, making a roll of 620 film only eight exposures. I believe the 120 spools were twelve exposures.
Right, this has to do with the length of the film and the format of the cameras. Most cameras that take 120 will make 2-1/4 square images, or 6CM by 6 CM. Resulting in 12 images on the roll. 620 cameras however like mine, make an image that's 2-1/4 by 3-1/2 wide, thus yielding about 8 images from a roll of 120.

spools.jpg
[/IMG]

On the right of my hasty photo, is a 620 spool, on the left a 120. The difference in diameters is negligible, actually it's the diameters of the spool ends, and the sprocket holes that are different. There's a site I found a while back that explains in depth how to rewind the film from one to the other, and also how to modify the spools if need be. I'll post it if I find it again and when I have more time.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
My grand-mother's sister has, I believe, an old Rolleiflex. I'm currently in negociations to acquire it as they still make films for it.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

You've just given me a great idea, dherman. I'll get some 120 film for my Minolta Autocord and take portraits of our Lounge friends at John's gala event on the 13th. It'll be my first time using it. :) (I'll take my digital, too, for candid shots.)

dscn0686.jpg

Nick, if memory serves, most cameras that use 120 can also use 220, which is twice as long. Thus, in square format, you get 16 exposures, and a 6X7 format camera will get 12 exposures. I know that the Mamiya RB67 filmback will hold both. I'm now wondering if my Autocord will, too. I don't see why not. :)

I just went surfing and found this site. Apparently, mine was made in 1965 or '66 (the 1/500th shutter speed indicating that) and may very well accept 220. I'll know more about it after I see if the counter goes to 24.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy