Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage photography

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
Certainly, it's just fine for prop purposes. That's a good attitude: given the chances that it requires an obsolete size film, has an inoperative shutter or aperture, or that the bellows are no longer light-tight, there's a good chance that it won't be a good "shooter" (vs. a display piece).

Oh, and sorry I didn't answer your questions yesterday - I couldn't get my kids off the computer!
No worries! I figured I have a lot to learn, and this one may be just the thing to learn on. If it works, great, but if not I have my prop and something to reference as I figure out if I really want to try and take pictures with one! I really like my digital camera....

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
a 30's shot of MBW shooting a graflex in NYC
2390310095_a0b42dd782.jpg

a decent shot of that style camera
391373669_ff3b65d667.jpg

MBW in `26 with camera
2166104322_0b9b90558b.jpg

pamina

Familiar Face
i have tried to find a film for that kind of camera

Bilora_Box3.jpg

this isn't mine. that's one from 1935. i've got one from 1936. it seems it still works, but i can't find a film for it !

and this little cute thing hase had my grandpa with him in ww2 in france. he took pictures of almost everything. i'll post some pics later...

foth.jpg

(this isn't mine too. mine is a little bt crapy, the leather is fuzzy ... and the little thing you watch through if you take pictures seems to be lost ... )

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
tintypes

a story on photographing modern cowboys in a vintage manner.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/arts/design/20kenn.html

The pictures — made by exposing and developing the metal plates after they have been coated with a light-sensitive solution of silver nitrate — are a kind of ideal meeting of subject and style. Many of the cowboys pine to have been born in the 19th century. And the tintypes, with their sepia tones, blurred peripheries and ghostly aura, take the cowboys back to the era when such photographs were taken by traveling commercial photographers

16kenn-2-500.jpg

16kenn-3-650.jpg

freebird

Practically Family
I lucked out and picked up a vintage Yashica tlr at an estate sale for 5.00 last summer. So far I haven't found any film localy to try it out.

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I spent two years in WWII re-enactment portraying Sergeant Bert Hardy of the British Army Film and Photographic Unit. I used the following cameras on location and "in action", which may be of interest. I still have these and will be using them in WWII re-enactment this year, this time portraying a civilian photojournalist :

Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B 532/16 Folding Rangefinder Camera (120 roll film, 6cmx6cm) with 80mm f2.8 Tessar lens.

techni1.gif

Shutter: Compur Rapid 1 - 1/400 sec., B. The Super Ikonta was standard British Army issue to stills photographers - but it was slow in operation.

Rolleiflex Twin Lens Reflex Camera (120 roll film, 6cmx6cm)

techni3.gif

This 1939 Rolleiflex New Standard is one of the more affordable yet high quality models of the time. The taking lens is an uncoated Zeiss Tessar f3.5/75mm, Shutter: Compur - Rapid, 1 - 1/500 sec., T & B.

Zeiss Contax II Rangefinder Camera (35mm film) with uncoated 50mm f1.5 Zeiss Sonnar lens.

techni2.gif

Shutter: vertical metal focal plane, unsynchronised, 1/2 - 1/1250 sec., B. This is quick to use especially in low light and tight corners when you have no time to fiddle! These pre-war Contax cameras are hard to find in working order, as their complexity makes them susceptible to shutter problems when they wear. I found it necessary to have shutter overhauls performed on both my Contax II's.

In addition to all these 1930s cameras I have successfully used a 1939 Weston Master exposure meter, translating the Weston film speeds into modern ISO settings.

A few photos taken with the Contax II below for interest :)

honourguard1.jpg

Monty800.jpg

AFRAgroupSepia800.jpg

BattleMedics800.jpg

ErniePyle800.jpg

and one of me...

SmudgerSepia800.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn