Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Pork---Cardilogists, Don't View this Thread!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Friends Bill, Jack and I took advantage of the recent cold weather in North Carolina to smoke some pig. My girlfriend Jackie photographed the whole process, but please let me warn you---if you're prone to heart trouble, don't look. Just seeing these pictures will surely raise your blood pressure.

Last Saturday we got up early and started salting the hams and side meat. The temperature outside was only ten degrees when we got to the cook shack on Bill's farm. The hard work warmed us up pretty quickly, though. Please excuse my silly Cabellas headwear. Salting pork is a messy job and I didn't want to risk one of my better hats.

hogday030.jpg

hogday022.jpg

hogday059.jpg

Bacon, ready to be salted.

hogday010.jpg

For whatever reason, Jack decided not to wear his gloves. I'm not sure it was a good choice---by the end of the day his ears were ringing from the salt he'd absorbed.

hogday034.jpg

In addition to coating the hams with salt and other minerals, we also inject them with a brine that we make from salt, nitrates and spices. The second photo, below, is the wicked "Dr." Bill and his terrible pork injector.

hogday041.jpg

hogday063-1.jpg

Here's Bill's smoke house. This weekend is much warmer than last and today we took the bacon (side meat) down after two day's smoking. The hams we salted last Saturday will continue to cure in the brine until mid-February. Then we'll hang them in the smoke house to smoke for three to five days. After that, they'll cure over the summer and we'll slice them in the first cool days of autumn. Like fine wine, good county ham can't be rushed. By the way, the smokin' wood we use is a secret combination of green hickory, apple and oak.

pigout016.jpg

pigout015.jpg

Finally, these jars contain pure, heart-clogging lard that we rendered from the pork leavings. Anything---including a rusty car bumper---would taste pretty darn good if it were fried in this stuff.

pigout029.jpg

AF

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
Fantastic pictures my mouth is watering folks my be interested there is a very good book on this subject.Maynard Adventures of a bacon curer by Maynard Davies highly recommended.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
The second photo, below, is the wicked "Dr." Bill and his terrible pork injector.AF

What a great set of photos and story to go with them! That is one of my favorite cured meats and it is not often done around here any longer.

As I was looking at it however, I did note that the "Dr." seems to be holding a device which appears to be VERY reminiscent of a sheep drench gun that we used on our farm when we raised them. I wielded such a tool on many occasions as a farm/rnach boy.....perchance, could that have been its prior life?

duggap

Banned
A darn good thing you put these pics up after the feast and not before. I was willing to bring a whole bus load of people over just to eat that wonderful looking pork. You ole boys know what you are doing.:eusa_clap

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I would like to go ahead and place an order for 4-5# of thick sliced bacon. When should I antisipate delivery? If it's when that one place freezes over, well, it's 14 degrees here right now.

ET

One of the Regulars
The ex-president of the pork producers board came and gave a speech to my Optimists Club recently- he says that with the new leaner pigs and the disease controls that have come about in the last 15 years or so that Pork is actually now better for you than most cuts of beef and some cuts of chicken. They are also legislating to reduce the cooking temperatures needed as there are no reported cases of trichinosis from eating pork in the last 10 years or so. (There are still some from bear meat and some wild game) So enjoy your pork without guilt over calories....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran