Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I see that both schools have fences around them. The high school I attended did not have a fence but I was surprised to see one around it when I was last in town two years ago, although it is now the middle school.

I believe that pretty much every NYC school has a fence around it, unless it's in Manhattan and butt up against the sidewalk.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
dbgwb9.png

s6ojuh.jpg

Southern Calif.

2qmk7i8.png

Indiana

260y2id.jpg

Alabama

2qszcz9.jpg

2ns6o1e.jpg

Kentucky

2q8yaa0.jpg

1-day photo service with a smile! :)

Are there still any drive-in restaurants with curb service anymore? I don't know if there were very that many and I doubt there were any before WWII. But there was only one in my hometown, technically outside the city limits, I think, but I think it counts. It's no longer in business, I'm afraid. There have been drive-ins that had neither curb service nor inside seating, which includes a lot of Dairy Queens, I think, but I don't know of any around here where I live now. Don't know of any with curb service either, which is not to say there aren't any. I don't get around as much as I used to.
The Sonic Drive-In fast food restaurant chain is primarily designed to serve customers in their cars--you pull in and park, order through an intercom type set-up, and they bring your food to your car. However, based on the one time my wife and I ate at one, the food is even worse than what you'd get at McDonald's.

Aside from that, I can think of a couple of restaurants here in southern California that provide curb service, one of which features roller-skating car hops. For the most part, I think curb service is considered to be a gimmick in the food service industry ever since drive-thru service became available.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I seem to remember there was an interest diner in the movie The Rocketeer but I don't remember what it looked like.

Movies actually made in the 1940s, the ones I watched anyway, rarely had good scenes of things like that, since most of them were made on back lots or somewhere up in Simi Valley at a movie ranch. But in a few television shows in the 1950s, invariably set in Los Angeles, there are occasional scenes that show something interesting from that era. After all, most of the things from the 1940s were still there ten years later, though the scenery would be more crowded.

Awesome pictures 2jakes. Love the Zeppelin diner. When it says "Chicken & Steak Dinners" does it mean it has both chicken dinners and steak dinners or did people eat both chicken and steak as part of one dinner? If the later, that seems like a heavy meal by today's norms.

2Jakes that is exactly the kind of stuff I envisioned when I started this thread.

Bob, there's also one close to the end of rt. 66 in California, and one a little closer to home for you and me. The Wigwam village #2 is still in operation on hwy 31 in Cave City, Kentucky. Definately the place to stay when you visit Mammoth Cave. I posted some pics of it at the beginning of this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
You really think so? How about surf & turf?

Route 66 isn't the only highway that has been bypassed by something newer, leaving older, typically non-chain businesses to dry up on the vine, so to speak, because the traffic doesn't go that way anymore. One such road is U.S. 1, which used to be how you went to Florida. It was bypassed by I-95. But local growth seems to happen along the old roads, at least in the East, but the older businesses have mostly been replaced by the same chain gas stations, convenience stores and motels that you see everywhere.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Awesome pictures 2jakes. Love the Zeppelin diner. When it says "Chicken & Steak Dinners" does it mean it has both chicken dinners and steak dinners or did people eat both chicken and steak as part of one dinner? If the later, that seems like a heavy meal by today's norms.

Unless it was a “chicken fried steak”.
My guess would be it was a choice of both on the menu.

Heck...when I was young,
Near closing time at place I worked.... I’d phone order a full size pizza, pick up a 12 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper.
Cradle the soda pop between my legs with the hot delicious pizza on the side while driving my ’63 VW stick-shift.

I’d finish the whole pizza by the time I got home!

Only thing though...pizza made me thirsty all night long! :mad:

Unless it was a “chicken fried steak”.
My guess would be it was a choice of both on the menu.

Heck...when I was young,
Near closing time at place I worked.... I’d phone order a full size pizza, pick up a 12 oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper.
Cradle the soda pop between my legs with the hot delicious pizza on the side while driving my ’63 VW stick-shift.

I’d finish the whole pizza by the time I got home!

Only thing though...pizza made me thirsty all night long! :mad:

Comparing what I can eat now at 51 versus what I could eat at 17 is crazy silly. At 17, I could eat 4 or 5 slices of pizza with ease - now I'm usually done at two and winded if I get half way threw a third one. Nice imagery of you driving your VW while eating your pizza.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Somewhere near the Rappahannock River is a little airfield and beside the airfield is a little restaurant and motel that used to be called the First Flight Inn. It didn't have any special styling feature and was in fact about as plain as it could be, even slightly run down, but I loved the name. But now it's called the Pilot House, which I think had been the name of a different restaurant just across the river but my memory may be faulty (again).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Somewhere near the Rappahannock River is a little airfield and beside the airfield is a little restaurant and motel that used to be called the First Flight Inn. It didn't have any special styling feature and was in fact about as plain as it could be, even slightly run down, but I loved the name. But now it's called the Pilot House, which I think had been the name of a different restaurant just across the river but my memory may be faulty (again).

I like the sound of “First Flight Inn”,
so I came up with this which I found on the search engine....

jtqaeg.png

The left reminds me of the sands where I go fishing & the other looks like my first air
base of long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner