Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

esydyzuv.jpg

Here's Penny. This pup used to stand on old hwy 11 coming into downtown Birmingham from the east, on the first ave. bridge. I can remember as a child, the tail would wag and eyes moved up and down as the tongue happily lapped up that bowl of dog food. And it always smelled God awful coming over that bridge, because the dogfood factory was just below it.
Penny disappeared several years ago, progress I guess, but has recently turned up outside the 3rd ave entrance to the new Birmingham Barons baseball park. The night I took my boys to a game she was not animated, don't know if she still is, but at least she is still around.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

DesertDan

One Too Many
Wow!
Ghostsoldier, your photos are a walk through my childhood! I lived in southern Georgia and had relatives in Florida. Spent a lot of summers in Ocala (my grandmother worked a Silver Springs for years) and Casselberry and went on car trips all over the state.

...And it always smelled God awful coming over that bridge, because the dogfood factory was just below it...
Rendering plants (such as Birmingham) on their own create a strong and usually unpleasant odor that seems to permeate the neighborhoods surrounding them. My last place of employment was north of, and usually downwind of, a Farmer John processing plant and two rendering plants; on a hot summer day the air could get really rank. But it's amazing, the things you can get used to. We'd have customers comment on it because they got nauseated almost to the point of vomiting from the smell, and we'd look at each other, shrug, and tell them, "It's actually not so bad today." lol

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Wow!
Ghostsoldier, your photos are a walk through my childhood! I lived in southern Georgia and had relatives in Florida. Spent a lot of summers in Ocala (my grandmother worked a Silver Springs for years) and Casselberry and went on car trips all over the state.

Good to hear, DD...we've probably been to some of the same sites!

On another note, I don't know what happened on my end, but for some reason, I stopped getting email notifications of this thread's updates (among others here at FL I have bookmarked). I tried emptying my browser cache, changing my antivirus programs, tweaked my email settings, etc...you name it, I've tried it, but to no avail....no notices for me.

Until today, when I opened my email to find one. Go figure. :p

Anyhoo, I have some more vintage roadside pics to post, which I will try to do, once I get home from work tonight.

Rob

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Here's the theater in Harlem, Georgia, where Oliver Hardy (of Laurel and Hardy fame) worked as a kid, before going to Jacksonville to star 'in the movies'....

IMAG1869.jpg

IMAG1870.jpg

The museum in Harlem....

IMAG1868.jpg

IMAG1867.jpg

Rob

Awesome pics Rob! I've been a few trips down to Columbus, a good buddy was stationed there a while back in the 80s. Probably had a cold pbr at the sputnik, or someplace similar.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Awesome pics Rob! I've been a few trips down to Columbus, a good buddy was stationed there a while back in the 80s. Probably had a cold pbr at the sputnik, or someplace similar.

There's a lot of cool stuff there; I was only passing through a couple of weeks ago, but will be going back to get more photos. :) BTW, I'm finally getting all that scanning of my old 35mm pics done, so I'll be posting a huge amount of photos, coming soon....

Rob

Good ones Rob!!
I've been down to Lake Eufaula before. I love cruising through some of the small towns down that way, it's almost like time has stopped in some of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21