Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage shopping in London.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, I live in nr London and wouldnt mind a shopping trip. A friend told me about Radio days, can anyone give me their opinion, Is it worth the trip and would you consider it expensive?
Thanks

ladyk

Familiar Face
Radio Days is well worth a visit, and considering the current climate, well priced. Especially if you are dedicated enough to rifle through the bargain boxes. They always have wonderful old stage costumes which make me wish I still had a 23 inch waist!

They have a great collection of costume jewellry, homewares and magazines too.

Whilst you're in town, Alfies Antique Market is well worth a visit, a rabbit warren of great stalls of varying expense. Blackout II in Covent Garden can be good, beyond retro is not worth bothering with. If you are in town during the week, head to grays antique market just to stare at the amazing bakelite collection (completely out of my price range but so beautiful). Just make sure you bypass the obvious entrance on New Bond street and head to the end of the street into the second building. They also have a diner themed cafe which I keep meaning to try out.

And if you have time to head either east or west let me know... the list keeps on going!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I recommend Radio Days!! It was awesome. They were playing Mae West when I was in there. I didn't buy anything, though, because all the dresses I liked weren't my size :( But I considered buying something on my limited budget so they couldn't have been too expensive.

And they have Clara Bow on their business cards. That sold me.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Im a vintage size 20, do they have the larger sizes or is most of the stuff for teeny weeny ladies:) ?
I might go and have a look tomorrow, if I can persuade the hubby that buying me some clothes will ofcourse benefit him, happy wife, happy husband. Thanks again for all the info.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm a vintage 16, US 10, UK 14. I seem to remember all the dresses that I liked being just small enough to not fit properly. But who knows -- maybe you'll get lucky!

Radio Days reminds me of a place in Philly called Pennyfeathers.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm a vintage 16, US 10, UK 14. I seem to remember all the dresses that I liked being just small enough to not fit properly. But who knows -- maybe you'll get lucky!

Radio Days reminds me of a place in Philly called Pennyfeathers.

I had a feeling that might be the case. Maybe Ill just buy some patterns online and get the sewing machine out.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I have been meaning to check out Radio Days but haven't gotten round to it yet. If you're visiting this weekend there is a vintage fair on in Hammersmith on Sunday. Most stalls are a bit expensive but a bargain can be found here and there. There is a book called 'A Guide to London's Retro Shops' which is extremely handy and has provided me with many shops to hunt down! It is divided into different parts of London and is really helpful, although it could do with being updated.

As mentioned you should check out Covent Garden. Blackout has the largest selection of Kelly bags I have ever seen, lots of dresses and a gorgeous selection of jewellery. Rokit is quite good if you look past the dodgy 80s stuff, I managed to find a 1950s beaded cardigan in their sale a while back and their accessories can be good. Carnaby Street has a few shops, I can't remember the names I'm afraid, but there are 3 located in the 'mall' section. One of them in particular sells retro furniture. Soho has a new Beyond Retro which is worth a look and the prices aren't terrible (I saw a 50s day dress for £18 a while ago) and a Buy/Sell/Exchange shop. Notting Hill has a few of these trade shops too but I wouldn't recommend them, however there is Dolly Diamond which is expensive and also Portabello Market for the stalls. There is a lady who sells gorgeous vintage jewellery all for £5 each, well worth the rummage! Then there's East London for another Beyond Retro, Absolute Vintage, Rokit and more and also Camden which has numerous stalls and shops.

Hope that helps :)

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi, I went along to Radio Days today and came back empty handed.There were few nice dresses but not in my size and they were around £50 or £60 each. I can buy an a lot of patterns and fabric with that amount of money. Back on the old singer I suppose.:)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
maisie said:
Where in Covent Garden is Blackout?

It's on Endell Street. If you come out of the station, turn left and walk down Neal Street then turn right when you come to the shoe shop Shellys. Walk down that road (you will pass Rokit), take the next left and it's a minutes walk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou