Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes; TRUE vintage 7-3/4 XLO

Time to start thinning...

So, from the long lost stash of new-old-stock Mallory felts, in a color they called "mahoot," (which is by far the most difficult color to capture in a photo ever encountered) I am pleased to present an as-new Art Fawcett-finished hat with an underwelted 2-1/2" dimensional brim. The bashed height is 3-1/2" in back, and 4-5/8" in front.

As mentioned, the colors here are extremely challenging to accurately capture; even the ribbon, which is generally much darker than it appears in photos. I tried to provide as many variations of lighting as possible to illustrate how the color can vary; brownish, to oxbloody, to an "earthy" purplish slate-type color. Maybe more. Truly a great vintage hue that's no longer found in stores!

Asking $300 US, shipped CONUS. Shipping elsewhere can also be arranged.
DSC02689.jpg DSC02691.jpg DSC02690.jpg DSC02698.jpg DSC02693.jpg DSC02696.jpg
This is the best shot of the felt color (below, on white tablecloth).
DSC02700.jpg DSC02712.jpg DSC02718.jpg
The headshot ribbon color is most accurate (on my screen).

Last edited:
Thanks, @1mach1! Fair question, my friend. I guess two factors have me beginning to think in terms of how MANY hats I own. One, my own mortality, (relative to the number of hats) and two, that my wife often seems to prefer colors other than this one, generally in the gray zones.

In doing some recent organizing around here, I counted WAY too many hats that I acquired in the interest of simply learning about them, and/or to outfit my son. Then, add in the ones that do fit and wear, and it's easy to see why I need to "thin the herd."

Then, to speed up the process, I had that dream, err, no NIGHTMARE that my wife sold all my hats for what I told her that I paid for them...

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, @1mach1! Fair question, my friend. I guess two factors have me beginning to think in terms of how MANY hats I own. One, my own mortality, (relative to the number of hats) and two, that my wife often seems to prefer colors other than this one, generally in the gray zones.

In doing some recent organizing around here, I counted WAY too many hats that I acquired in the interest of simply learning about them, and/or to outfit my son. Then, add in the ones that do fit and wear, and it's easy to see why I need to "thin the herd."

Then, to speed up the process, I had that dream, err, no NIGHTMARE that my wife sold all my hats for what I told her that I paid for them...
I had a good laugh over that last line. Now, if only the hat weren't so darn tiny!

Thanks Bob! For you, I'll toss in a hat jack!! That should get you there...

Actually thought of you and that other puny domed @89quattro last week when I learned that Brass Rooster Hatters makes up to a size 9-1/8!! (Two so far.)

NOW who's tiny?!! :p

Murray

New in Town
Charlie!!! How are you? Haven’t been here in a while. Still loving that Stetson i got from you! Love thisnone too but it’s so TINY as the other poster said. Why dont you find another size 8 in that stash! And i can’t get 89quattro to answer an email!!

Best,
Murray

Hey, @Murray!! GREAT to hear from you, sir! Thank you for reaching out.

I WISH I had a few more 8s. I did discover that even with a few of our custom hatters making your impressive size, Brass Rooster Hatters in Milwaukee makes a size 9-1/8. NOW who's a pin-head?! I bet you've never tried on a hat that was too big!

I hope all is well with you, my friend! Say hello to "Sam!!"

Last edited:
Charlie!!! How are you? Haven’t been here in a while. Still loving that Stetson i got from you! Love thisnone too but it’s so TINY as the other poster said. Why dont you find another size 8 in that stash! And i can’t get 89quattro to answer an email!!

Best,
Murray

I found a 7-7/8 Biltmore Senator in gray, if you have a hatjack, Murray...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails