Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Style Suit -Sean John

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt, you would probably be interested in this. I bought that Sean John suit that I had posted about somewhere in the past. This is a single-breasted pin-stripe suit with peaked lapels, four inside pockets, crazy purple lining, and working sleeve buttons.

I am wearing it with a vintage tie from the 1940's and a pair of contemporary spectators. In some pictures I am wearing a vintage Borsalino, in others my Gray Adventurebilt Hat.

Let me know what you think! Thanks. :)

Mycroft

One Too Many
I like it, I like it a lot (say with a slight lisp). Man, that is nice. I like how it falls and has a very streamline effect on you. I also like as with my shadow-striped suit, that the pattern emmerges as you come closer and it becomes more and more interseting. Nice pick.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mycroft said:
I like it, I like it a lot (say with a slight lisp). Man, that is nice. I like how it falls and has a very streamline effect on you. I also like as with my shadow-striped suit, that the pattern emmerges as you come closer and it becomes more and more interseting. Nice pick.
Thank you, Mycroft! I like your analysis.
I am always looking for interesting things to add to my wardrobe.
Regards,
HJ

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Awesome suit!
Peaked lapels and working sleeve buttons on an off-the-peg suit!
Verrry Nice!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Flitcraft said:
Awesome suit!
Peaked lapels and working sleeve buttons on an off-the-peg suit!
Verrry Nice!
So true! I wish there were more offerings like this. I would stuff my closet with them.

scotrace said:
Nice suit! Looks great on you. Where did you find that again?
Thank you very much, scotrace. I bought it at Filene's. It was $565, which was too expensive. They marked it down about three months later to $380 or so. I asked the salesman if it was that price, he scanned the tag, and told me it was $199. I couldn't pass that up!

riosfernando said:
Hi, Hemingway, for some reasons I can not see your pictures. The same happen with your new hat picture. What program are you using?
Hello! I hosted them at imageshack.us. -very strange. Can you see these?

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Hem, I like the Gestalt idea of the suit, but it has that look of 'shinyness' that new suits tend to have because of the fine weave of the wools used. All the designers are obsessed with getting lighter and lighter weight suits, they keep on getting the yarn thinner and thinner, but I personally don't like the way this new fabric looks or drapes.

No offense Hem, it's nicer than any suit I own, but it's not my cup of tea. That gray AB on the other hand, I would be willing to take off your hands... we're the same size you know:cool:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sad Passing of the Basement

Filene's has closed the basement, I think? I remember a story on NPR about it not long ago.
Nice price. Great colo(u)r. This is from Sean "Puffy" "P. Diddy" Combs?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
Filene's has closed the basement, I think? I remember a story on NPR about it not long ago.
Nice price. Great colo(u)r. This is from Sean "Puffy" "P. Diddy" Combs?
Sadly, yes! Can you imagine that he is trying to perserve classic styling? Well, he and Ralph Lauren.
Thanks ferando.

Oh, and fooey on you IGB! ;-)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hem, it looks great! And what a bargain! You know, that shiny look to the suit was desirable because it was the mark of a good quality suit. It just got taken a bit too far in later days and you ended up with those intentionally shiny suits that mafiosos favored. You could be a Teddy Boy, Hem! You just need to grow your hair out and put the quiff in the front! No fedoras, though, so that look probably wouldn't suit you! b-doom sshhh (That's my rim shot; is that what the drum in the emoticon list is for?!)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Hem, it looks great! And what a bargain! You know, that shiny look to the suit was desirable because it was the mark of a good quality suit. It just got taken a bit too far in later days and you ended up with those intentionally shiny suits that mafiosos favored. You could be a Teddy Boy, Hem! You just need to grow your hair out and put the quiff in the front! No fedoras, though, so that look probably wouldn't suit you! b-doom sshhh (That's my rim shot; is that what the drum in the emoticon list is for?!)
Wow, Jack, I truly have no idea what you're talking about. I am embarrassed to admit that your allusions are lost on me. I suppose I have a limited frame of reference.
I can tell you, in regards to the sheen of this suit, it is no more noticeable than that on a Brooks Brothers sack suit. Perhaps the flash enhanced the effect, but it is a very nice and very soft fabric.
When I shop for suits, or any clothes, I do so with my fingers first. This one was very pleasing to the touch.
You see, with me, I like the vintage look. I prefer new clothes. In fact, I will not wear used clothes. I think it is sort of disgusting to do so. Used ties I will wear and perhaps outerwear, but pants or shirt or anything else that touches the skin; no way.
I was happy to find that Borsalino because it hadn't been worn. -or at least not much.
I am not one to go through someone else's trash to achieve a vintage look. I will do so with contemporary purchases. Thank God there are companies that still produce this stuff.;) :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very sharp suit indeed Hemingway! Sean Combs has something there, especially trying to bring back good style. And at a $199 you got a fery good deal indeed. (Said with a low whistle). If you don't mind me asking, what is the maker of your shoes and what did they set you back?

Cheers!

Dan

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DanielJones said:
Very sharp suit indeed Hemingway! Sean Combs has something there, especially trying to bring back good style. And at a $199 you got a fery good deal indeed. (Said with a low whistle). If you don't mind me asking, what is the maker of your shoes and what did they set you back?

Cheers!

Dan
Thank you for the nice comments on the suit. I will be on the lookout for other suits of his. Who knows; he may have a double breasted shawl collar dinner jacket?

I don't mind your asking about the shoes at all; that's what we're here for. They are Georgio Brutini's and the go for around $65-$85 all over the internet. They are not the best quality and they run narrow, but they'll do. Last night, I ordered a pair of Alfred Sargents from England. I'll see if those are any better. They are about double the price. I love the look though.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Wow, Jack, I truly have no idea what you're talking about. I am embarrassed to admit that your allusions are lost on me. I suppose I have a limited frame of reference.

Sorry! The Teddy Boy movement was a phenomenon in England during the mid-1950s. Their suits were typically expensive, and impeccably tailored, hence the reference. Here's a few Teddy Boys hanging out. You're nothing like a Teddy Boy, though, which was the joke...sort of...sorry, I'll just leave out the back...

Mycroft

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Sorry! The Teddy Boy movement was a phenomenon in England during the mid-1950s. Their suits were typically expensive, and impeccably tailored, hence the reference. Here's a few Teddy Boys hanging out. You're nothing like a Teddy Boy, though, which was the joke...sort of...sorry, I'll just leave out the back...

Its like a dressed up version of greasers, right? Anyhow, what other color does your suit come in Mr. Jones?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner