Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Table Fan Find

leo power

New in Town
AC/DC converter

radio shack use to have then you could also try the source or future shop a local electrical shop (mom&pop) type of place would be your best bet goodluck let me now if you find one leo

Marla

A-List Customer
I have that exact same fan! The felt on the bottom of mine is black though. I've never plugged it in.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I have that exact same fan! The felt on the bottom of mine is black though. I've never plugged it in.

Never plugged it in??? Well, if the cord looks straight (without breaks or snags) and the brass plate under the switch says AC or isn't stamped DC, plug it in and give it a chance! Also, if you check if the blades spin freely, I would say you have a working fan... also, you may also check the oil in front of the fan, there's a small narrow brass cylinder that holds oil... unscrew it and check it out... maybe ad a little and let it go.

By the way, I got that bridge rectifier at Radio Shack... going to splice it in tonight! Keep your fingers crossed! :D

-=R

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Took this photo in the living room under the floor lamp... I like those amber colored bulbs... added a unique effect to the photo huh?

66323_158628177492088_100000347208133_358407_7483611_n.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
Never plugged it in??? Well, if the cord looks straight (without breaks or snags) and the brass plate under the switch says AC or isn't stamped DC, plug it in and give it a chance! Also, if you check if the blades spin freely, I would say you have a working fan... also, you may also check the oil in front of the fan, there's a small narrow brass cylinder that holds oil... unscrew it and check it out... maybe ad a little and let it go.

By the way, I got that bridge rectifier at Radio Shack... going to splice it in tonight! Keep your fingers crossed! :D

-=R

I've always wanted to but... the cord has a spot where long ago it was repaired with electrical tape and rather poorly at that. Can anything be done for it?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I've always wanted to but... the cord has a spot where long ago it was repaired with electrical tape and rather poorly at that. Can anything be done for it?

Surely! If you are unsure about the safety of the cord, then it will have to be replaced! It's really quite simple to replace a power cord. Just unscrew the three screws at the bottom plate (as long as they aren't rusted like mine that took two days to loosen with lots of WD-40. LOL) Remove the plate and you'll see the power cord connected to two round thumb wheels (like a nut but, round with grooves on the edges) Turn them if you can, you may need a pair of pliers... take the old power cord off the chassis, and put in a correct cloth cord replacement... You can order a new replacement cord here:

http://www.hudsonscustommachining.com/

Darryl Hudson has parts and correct replacement items for antique fans and such. You can also contact him, he's very helpful! He's helped me a lot in my fan tinkering!

Any more questions, I'm happy to answer.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, I spliced in a bridge rectifier, turned out not to be as strong as I needed. I have found one at another place that will work but, just have to splice it in and maybe have a capacitor wired in some where to filter the power from AC to DC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy