Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

olive bleu

One Too Many
I feel quite proud of the fact that i am quite comfortable using an outhouse.One of my more useful qualities, i think:) My grandparents had an outhouse til the '70's if you can believe it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And of course, when the outhouses disappeared, so did the time honored tradition of out house tipping. It was always better when you tipped it with somebody inside. ;)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
I thought of another one the other day...

4x4 "off road" vehicles that actually went off the road?
In the dirt and over rocks, thru puddles and bounced off of trees?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
And of course, when the outhouses disappeared, so did the time honored tradition of out house tipping. It was always better when you tipped it with somebody inside. ;)

YUmmmm that still happpens on some construction sites.....

Kassia

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
The Spirit Duplicator was refered to as the mimeograph machine in my school system. A fresh off the machine sheet was often damp and fraigrent.

In one of the school or college comedies like Ferris bueler , Fast Times or Animal House there is a scene where the test is passed out to the students and the entire class picks up the sheets to their nose and gives a long lovingly sniff of the solvent followed by a satisfy ahhh. I and many of my fellow students did exactly the same thing from grade school thru high school. Sniiiifff-Ahhhh!:eusa_clap

Also along those lines, stinky felt pens...

Rachael

A-List Customer
Thanks for the explanation! The last time I saw a ditto machine in action I was in grade school, so I never got to set one up. Every once in a while my mom let me turn the crank (she was a preschool teacher and was always ditto-ing coloring sheets while we sat in the library). Someone should make ditto scented perfume. Or air freshener.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Only if the target's done something to warrant it. Kinda "amateur-hour" on the dirty-trickery scale, but if you just need a quick and simple hit of revenge. it works...lol Even better if you tip it so the door's blocked on a cold winter day... *cackle*
I absolutely agree. Actually, I never tipped an outhouse, but have been regaled with tales of it on numerous occasions.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:

Tipping is ok, but if you really want to be awful with an old-style outhouse, you move it back about 5 feet. This is best if done in the evening, so the victim goes out to use it in the dark. I guess my Grandfather and his brothers were known to do this on occasion. :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Outhouses are still not uncommon in the rural areas here -- I have friends who live on a farm about half-an-hour's drive from where I live, with a lovely one-holer off to the side of the house. (They also don't have electricity.) They've set it up quite nicely with curtained windows and a shelf of paperback books -- and I suspect anyone attempting to tip it would end up in the emergency room, since it's firmly attached to a concrete footing!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And speaking of noble rural institutions that have fallen by the wayside, how about the Grange? It was an organization that was once a major social and political force in small towns -- as recently as sixty years ago, politicians still courted the Grange vote, and Grange membership was the center of social life for millions of rural people. When I was growing up, there were still columns full of "Grange Notes" and notices of upcoming "proceedings" in the local paper, and the Grange Hall was a place where you'd go for bean suppers and wedding receptions and such.

But now, it's dying off fast -- there's only a tiny vestigal membership left, mostly elderly -- and millions of Americans don't even realize such an organization ever existed. Anyone here with Grangers in the family?

Kassia

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
And speaking of noble rural institutions that have fallen by the wayside, how about the Grange? It was an organization that was once a major social and political force in small towns -- as recently as sixty years ago, politicians still courted the Grange vote, and Grange membership was the center of social life for millions of rural people. When I was growing up, there were still columns full of "Grange Notes" and notices of upcoming "proceedings" in the local paper, and the Grange Hall was a place where you'd go for bean suppers and wedding receptions and such.

But now, it's dying off fast -- there's only a tiny vestigal membership left, mostly elderly -- and millions of Americans don't even realize such an organization ever existed. Anyone here with Grangers in the family?

What is it? I don't think we ever had something called that in Canada...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's sort of a cross between a lodge, a social club, and a political lobby, directed at farmers. The official name is "The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry," and their meeting halls have farm implements on display which are used in ceremonies at their meetings. It's one of the few such organizations that admitted women on equal terms with men, and most of the grangers I've known have been elderly ladies.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
It's sort of a cross between a lodge, a social club, and a political lobby, directed at farmers. The official name is "The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry," and their meeting halls have farm implements on display which are used in ceremonies at their meetings. It's one of the few such organizations that admitted women on equal terms with men, and most of the grangers I've known have been elderly ladies.

Ohhh ok i did search for it and found they have a website so maybe they are still out there.. I am a born and raised city kid so i've never heard the name before..
http://www.nationalgrange.org/

Klaus A

New in Town
Ok so I am young and not much vintage has disappeared in my life (VHS, cassette tapes, etc. obviously dont count). It seems that flat screen TVs are trying to replace regular but I hope it is just a fad. I am not sure but are 35mm film cameras going out? I still use my trusty 35mm auto/manual SLR camera I was given 4 or 5 years ago but when I had to get a replacement part last year, almost everything they had was digital. Still I refuse to go to digital.

In regards to typewriters, I have an electric Brother typewriter that was made only a couple years ago. You can still find ribbon and correction tape for it. I like to use it when I can.

Mike in Seattle said:
War surplus stores.
These are all over the place! At least here in the Southeast...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone written a history of Granges? lately? Could be a great topic to write a book about. Especially if no one else is going it.

- Tim the Dissertation Hunter

carter

I'll Lock Up
Shades of the British Empire

Doran said:
Has anyone written a history of Granges? lately? Could be a great topic to write a book about. Especially if no one else is going it.

- Tim the Dissertation Hunter

Tim, You had me going for a minute. I thought there was a river in India that I hadn't heard of. Then I went back a few posts and realized that is a long 'a' in grange. :eusa_doh:

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Tim, You had me going for a minute. I thought there was a river in India that I hadn't heard of. Then I went back a few posts and realized that is a long 'a' in grange. :eusa_doh:

Hee hee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic