Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Have Disappeared In Your Lifetime?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used them in my '69 Beetle back in the '80s, when the blinker died and I couldn't afford to buy a new one. Even then people would wave back to me when I signaled a right turn.

We were taught hand signals as part of a bicycle safety course in grammar school, never mind driver ed.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I took driver's ed. in the early 60s they still taught hand signals. In some states, they were legally required even if your turn signal lights were working. Would many people even recognize them now?
Absolutely, but remember, I'm in a right hand drive car. (look at the avatar.) Turn right, right arm straight out. Turn left, right arm out, rotating your right hand three times, turning it towards the car. (left) To signal that I am pulling out into the traffic, right arm straight out. To slow down or stop. Right arm straight out, then gently raise and lower it three times. Response to unruly sounding of other motorist's horn. Right arm out, bend elbow up 90%, clench fist, leaving centre finger raised.
Response to verbal vitriol, right hand out, bend fingers to just touching thumb, wave hand up and down as though it was gripping something phallic.

We were taught hand signals as part of a bicycle safety course in grammar school, never mind driver ed.

I still use hand signals when riding my bicycle, although I rarely (though occasionally) see other cyclists doing so. No surprise really, considering a great majority of them seem to no longer even know what a stop sign is for.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I had a bicycle safety course too at school which culminated in a 'Cycling Proficiency Test', complete with badge & certificate signed by the instructing police officer. I was a pretty happy bunny when I passed but I seem to remember everybody passed so there wasn't any real merit. :D Funnily enough, it is one of the few things I can clearly recall from my early school days, that & playing doctors & nurses behind the bike shed.

Last edited:
I still use hand signals when riding my bicycle, although I rarely (though occasionally) see other cyclists doing so. No surprise really, considering a great majority of them seem to no longer even know what a stop sign is for.

Dale, I give hand signals as well. One of the pleasures of my previous life was writing that "Disregarding a Sign or Signal" summons to a dumbfounded and pi$$ed cyclist.

And don't forget the tourniquet made out of your grandmother's old stocking.

I remember my great grandmother wanted to treat anything with "salve". Cuts, skinned knees, gunshot wounds...didn't matter..."rub a little salve on it" was her prescription for everything. She was like a crusty old baseball coach who told you to "rub a little dirt on it". Got a sore arm? Rub a little dirt on it. Bruised elbow? Compound leg fracture? Rub a little dirt on it.

I assume Granny's salve was some sort of topical antibiotic like Neosporin, though it could have been just plain old petroleum jelly. It came in a little round jar, and she always had some handy. She always wore a cotton sundress with two big pockets in the front, one with her dipping snuff and the other apparently with salve.

We learned hand signals in driver's ed in the early 80s, and you still see them today. Bikers riding choppers use them regularly, as I don't think most have turn signals.
Bikers are the only people I see using hand signals regularly. I'll rarely see a bicyclist use them, and can't recall the last time I saw a car driver use hand signals...not the "left turn/right turn/stop" hand signals, anyway. :rolleyes:

And no mercurochrome or iodine here; my folks thought Bactine was the answer to everything.

p51

One Too Many
Last 4th of July, I was driving my 1944 Willys Jeep to a parade and stopped at a stop sign. A modern car came up really fast and thought, "Cripes, I'm gonna lose the Jeep right here and die as well," right before they swerved off the road. I still had my hand in the stop signal position the entire time. The guy swerved off the road, barely missing a ditch. He rolled down his window and yelled why my brake lights weren't working. I pointed to the back of the op that clearly stated, "LEFT HAND DRIVE - NO SIGNALS" and asked if he'd ever seen the hand signal for stop before. I drove off with him still standing there in a stupor, totally not knowing what to say...

JimWagner

Practically Family
Around here I occasionally see hand signals for various reasons. What I see more and more, unfortunately, are people not signaling their turns at all. And that's people who presumably have actual working signals.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I remember my great grandmother wanted to treat anything with "salve". Cuts, skinned knees, gunshot wounds...didn't matter..."rub a little salve on it" was her prescription for everything. She was like a crusty old baseball coach who told you to "rub a little dirt on it". Got a sore arm? Rub a little dirt on it. Bruised elbow? Compound leg fracture? Rub a little dirt on it.

I assume Granny's salve was some sort of topical antibiotic like Neosporin, though it could have been just plain old petroleum jelly. It came in a little round jar, and she always had some handy. She always wore a cotton sundress with two big pockets in the front, one with her dipping snuff and the other apparently with salve.

We had kids in the neighborhood who *sold* "salve" from house to house -- White Cloverine brand, came in a little can like shoe polish, and I imagine it was one of those "Make Money Get Prizes" deals from an ad in a comic book, in the back there with the X-Ray Specs and the Sea Monkeys. I never never sold any myself, but I think my mother still has a dried-up can of it in the back of a drawer.

For that matter, do kids still "Make Money Get Prizes?" Do "Boys Sell Grit?"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A kid I knew in school sold Grit, he even had the canvas newsboy bag and the chrome-plated nickel-slinger on his belt. I always bought a copy, because they had a feature every week profiling "Old Time Radio" stars that I'd cut out and keep in a scrapbook. I don't think I've seen a copy since 1976.

One week I didn't have the quarter to pay him for my copy, so I gave him an Indian head penny I'd gotten in change instead. I always wondered if he got in trouble over that.

Me, neither. I had no idea until I just read your post.
They opened a Tractor Supply store near where I live, I might need to go check it out. My grandmother used to read that religiously.
It's a glossy full color magazine these days, not the newsprint version that was around when we were kids. I have no idea when they made the format change. I had no idea they were still around either until I came across it a few years back. (At the tractor supply store)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Another thing:

If I were born, let's just say 1950 or so, I would surely have been a fan of the "Life Magazine" and it's photo-reportages and the old days of Margaret-Bourke White, Andreas Feininger and so on.
It's just the way of the world is turning, that such magazines were probably outdated by the upcoming of entertainment-electronics around the 70's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit