Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things That Will NOT Disappear In Your Lifetime

I've been hearing about this not being able to buy incandescent bulbs for some time now. I just bought some again this week.

Me too. Not this week, but within the past month or so. I had to tell the young person in the lighting department at Lowe's what a mogul bulb is before she knew where among those hundreds of different types of bulbs I might find one. But I cut her some slack, because I doubt that even her grandma has an old mogul bulb floor lamp, and once I described it she knew where it was.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Changing code to makes spaces more impairment friendly is a good idea. This doesn't affect existing structures (unless you update a large percentage of the home) but it does make sure new ones support aging in place. When people have falls or unable to live in their home, they often have to move into care... and when they can't pay for that, we do. Anything we can do to support living independently not only helps the person doing so, but our bottom line. In countries with swiftly aging populations (which Canada has thanks to a decreasing birth rate and strict immigration policies) and socialized medicine, it makes perfect sense to have everyone live independently as long as possible.

Personally I'm a fan of making all new structures have a minimum of hardware that's accessible. Anything I've ever remodeled I've done my best to add levers instead of handles, grab bars, etc. These devices help all of us, and when we need them due to aging or illness that's the last moment we can afford or have the time or the psychological energy to install them.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Personally I'm a fan of making all new structures have a minimum of hardware that's accessible. Anything I've ever remodeled I've done my best to add levers instead of handles, grab bars, etc. These devices help all of us, and when we need them due to aging or illness that's the last moment we can afford or have the time or the psychological energy to install them.

I agree with removing physical challenges, but right now the last thing I want to do is live in a dwelling filled with institutional-style fixtures. They are so cold and depressing anytime I have been in any building that has them.

These are probably the worst:
dl-daley1200ss.jpg

They scream HOSPITAL!!

I guess, though, that I could live with something such as this:
emtek-rope-brass-door-lever-lg.jpg

I agree with removing physical challenges, but right now the last thing I want to do is live in a dwelling filled with institutional-style fixtures. They are so cold and depressing anytime I have been in any building that has them.

These are probably the worst:
dl-daley1200ss.jpg

They scream HOSPITAL!!

I guess, though, that I could live with something such as this:
emtek-rope-brass-door-lever-lg.jpg

Just want to see if I'm following this. Are you required by law / regulation to put in a certain type of doorhandle in your own home?

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
For those who have lived in Europe, the U.S. is not called the land of round doorknobs for nothing. And that was 40 years ago.

Just want to see if I'm following this. Are you required by law / regulation to put in a certain type of doorhandle in your own home?

No, you aren't required to use levers rather than knobs in private residences. Not to my knowledge, anyway. There are likely codes calling for certain minimal standards in door hardware, outside entry doors particularly, just as there are standards for most aspects of residential structures.

Levers are considerably more useful to more people, even those without physical disabilities. You can open the door with your elbow when you're toting a couple three or four bags of groceries, for instance.

No, but if and when the times comes that managing a round door knob becomes problematic, I want my newly installed levers to look 'homey' and not 'institutionally.'

Got it, makes sense. I'm sure you are familiar with this Rejuvenation (we got some things here during our renovation):

https://www.rejuvenation.com

Just a quick search brought up items like this (there are more - and more finishes - on the site):
141015_RC_Y15B01_H_A_16_C5067.jpg 141015_RC_Y15B01_H_A_23_C5074.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We have Fine Antiqued Bronze door handles at work, and after fifteen years they're falling apart -- they might be fine for the sort of lightweight doors you find in a house, but they don't bear up at all under the weight of heavy gypsum fire doors. The metal fittings inside shear right off and one day you pull the handle and are left with it in your hand.

We have Fine Antiqued Bronze door handles at work, and after fifteen years they're falling apart -- they might be fine for the sort of lightweight doors you find in a house, but they don't bear up at all under the weight of heavy gypsum fire doors. The metal fittings inside shear right off and one day you pull the handle and are left with it in your hand.

"Contractor grade" is what I've come to believe is a euphemism for "cheap crap we can foist off on those who don't know any better."

It's false economy in the long run, of course. But "long run" seems a foreign concept to many these days.

Among the houses we toured while shopping a couple years ago was a place with every interior surface -- paint, doors, counters and cabinets, floor coverings -- brand-spankin' new. And it was all stuff that would look like the cheap crap it is within a couple of years.

I find it offensive, really. It's a waste of materials and the human effort expended in producing and transporting and installing it.

Please, friendly devil!
If I ever go to hell, DON'T give me this horror of office building/hospital/school-doorhandles! :confused: Wet, greasy, sweaty, rattled out... :rolleyes:

hewi-bicolor-900x500.jpg

And all the other ugly colours. ;)
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q= türdrücker gelb&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=türdrücker gelb&sc=1-20&sk=&cvid=633F3DFE40CD49F4A04039CE2618E0B3

I don't mind it at all. What I do mind is remodels that disregard the structures' architectural integrity.

I wish the previous owners of our place had never gotten it in their heads to "update" the kitchen. They tore out good cabinets to make way for clearly inferior replacements. The next door neighbor's house, pretty much identical to this one when they were built, has been left pretty much unmolested. I'd rather have the original kitchen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner