Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ties Stolen--How would you feel?

AEF17

New in Town
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct area, and apologize if I'm not.

By the standards of most on here, I have a somewhat humble vintage tie collection; about 70 from the mid '20's through the mid '40s. I have about thirty from the late '30s-early '40s that I wear for swing dancing. Most are ridiculously dead stock.

While on a road trip recently, I took eight for dance venues around the southeast. While visiting a monument in Texas, and away from my car for twenty-five minutes, my car was broken into, in broad daylight, in a parking lot, and my suitcases stolen. Of course, the ties were among the items taken.

On one hand, I know that they are ties, and that I am grateful worse things did not occur. But, I am so saddened that I was able to rescue these items, wear them--that for which they were intended--for the first time in decades, and now they are probably in the trash, and gone forever. I feel as though, despite my caution in taking care of what I have, that these ties deserved so much better, and that such beautiful items met an ignominious end galls me to no end. I feel as though I have been a poor steward of what I was intrusted with, and quite low about the whole thing.

We're not talking about Sulka ties, or anything rare, just a small grouping of ties with what I thought to be attractive patterns that looked brand new, even though 70+ years old, which is part of the charm of wearing them for m:, as though the passage of time has not affected these items, and it doesn't matter how "dated" the era in which they were manufactured. They belong to the present as much as to the past.

Has loss of any items occurred to anyone else, that maybe you know how I feel?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if I'm posting this in the correct area, and apologize if I'm not.

By the standards of most on here, I have a somewhat humble vintage tie collection; about 70 from the mid '20's through the mid '40s. I have about thirty from the late '30s-early '40s that I wear for swing dancing. Most are ridiculously dead stock.

While on a road trip recently, I took eight for dance venues around the southeast. While visiting a monument in Texas, and away from my car for twenty-five minutes, my car was broken into, in broad daylight, in a parking lot, and my suitcases stolen. Of course, the ties were among the items taken.

On one hand, I know that they are ties, and that I am grateful worse things did not occur. But, I am so saddened that I was able to rescue these items, wear them--that for which they were intended--for the first time in decades, and now they are probably in the trash, and gone forever. I feel as though, despite my caution in taking care of what I have, that these ties deserved so much better, and that such beautiful items met an ignominious end galls me to no end. I feel as though I have been a poor steward of what I was intrusted with, and quite low about the whole thing.

We're not talking about Sulka ties, or anything rare, just a small grouping of ties with what I thought to be attractive patterns that looked brand new, even though 70+ years old, which is part of the charm of wearing them for m:, as though the passage of time has not affected these items, and it doesn't matter how "dated" the era in which they were manufactured. They belong to the present as much as to the past.

Has loss of any items occurred to anyone else, that maybe you know how I feel?

I empathize with you.

I lost most of a very large collection of radios, phonographs, and records when my carriage house burned a couple of years ago.
It has taken me a great while to get over it, but I must tell you that I am no longer nearly as attatched to my "Stuff", so in that sense
some good came of the fire.

It is a shame about your ties, not only have you lost them, but the thieves will doubtless not be able to appreciate them for what they are.

Even so, you WILL find others, I'm sure

Lily Powers

Practically Family
It's not just the loss of your ties that you're feeling, but the jolt of someone busting into your car and stealing YOUR stuff. Not theirs, not someone else's, but yours. Whether they were worth 10-cents or a million dollars, the taking of those items is insulting. You did nothing wrong, but had something taken from you and it was totally beyond your control. I had a purse taken from me one night after a concert in Oakland, CA. I was too young to know better and ran after the guy. Made pretty good strides, too. Then he stopped and pulled out a gun. I came to a skidding halt and watched my things disappear. My lesson learned: carry my cash and ID in my pocket when I'm out & about in certain areas. Another tip, if you put items in your trunk, do it when you begin your trip because thieves often break into cars when they see occupants put their valuables in the trunk before heading leaving the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy