Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Title Art -- sort of

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Each year at the theatre, we do a special Oscar event featuring films that should have won but didn't -- and this year the feature is the original King Kong, which should have won a special effects award, if there had *been* one. To promote the show, we're doing an award-night 1930's newsreel parody which will be disrupted by Kong himself -- and I've been assigned to do the title artwork as well as write the script. Here's the opening title, done up to look as 1933ish as possible --

title.jpg

And here's the intertitle --

intertitle.jpg

We're shooting the live-action footage on the Strand stage on Friday, and we've got an animator doing some Kong shots to mix in with the live scenes -- once the finished short is done, I'll post a link!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Can't wait to hear the music bed underneath that...The Overrecorded Orchestral March, ending with a cymbal crash that sounds like 2 frying pans banged together. KSSSH!

Just remember: the narration has to have too much treble AND too much bass. In Hollywood they just do it thru a phone filter to make it sound Olde to people who don't know what old sounds like.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The title looks great, Lizzie!

If you lived here in Sydney you would definitely have to work in a managerial role at the stunning art deco theatre the Hayden Orpheum! You and that classic theatre would go together like strawberries and cream!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Benny Holiday said:
If you lived here in Sydney you would definitely have to work in a managerial role at the stunning art deco theatre the Hayden Orpheum! You and that classic theatre would go together like strawberries and cream!
Not likely Liz will relocate to the antipodes, tho...seems she and Maine go together like lobster and rolls.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fletch said:
Not likely Liz will relocate to the antipodes, tho...seems she and Maine go together like lobster and rolls.

Well, I'd be happy to, you know, telecommute. And if anyone out there is working on film projects, and needs someone to design graphics, well, gee, I'm extremely available.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. This is going to be a fun project, I think -- and I'm hoping my best friend will be coming up Friday to do some behind-the-scenes photos for our Film Society website, and I shall be sure to advise when they're online.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I wish I could be in Maine to see this!

Well, I'd like to be anywhere if it means seeing King Kong in a movie house, but this is much better.

I hope it turns out wonderful and I know it will.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A bit of an update on the King Kong trailer project -- we shot the live-action scenes last week, and they're now being edited together with the animation scenes. Here's a bit of a peek behind the scenes --

mfrizzell_bio.jpg

The fellow putting the monkey thru his paces is Mark Frizzell of Woburn, Mass. -- an award-winning animator who jumped at the chance to contribute to the project, given that Kong was one of his childhood inspirations. He'll also be introducing our showing of the film on February 17th.

The trailer, meanwhile, starts showing on the 1st if all goes well -- and I'll post a link to the finished product once it's up on the website!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CharlieH. said:
That looks swell! Is that a model of the theatre where you'll do the show?

Yup -- it's made from foam board tacked to a light wooden frame, with a cutout photo enlargement of the theatre glued to the outside. You can't see it in the pic, but there's a big hole in the front where Kong comes smashing out -- holding an Academy Award that he was unfairly denied.

The only issue I have with the project so far is that I couldn't get everyone in the live action scene to dress appropriately period -- I can't imagine there's people who don't have a complete '30s wardrobe right at hand, but unfortunately there are....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy