Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage vs. custom

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
custom hats I've owned were ok but If you find a vintage hat in your size and style nothing else comes close. There is a special feeling one gets when finding,acquiring and wearing hats from yesteryear. The best part is the hunt.

From what I've seen of the hats you've sold, Garrett, it's easy to find a nice vintage hat in your size. But in my larger size it's very difficult, so my vote is for custom.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I love both. The thrill of the hunt for that vintage hat that fits like a glove is a fun addiction. The invention and interaction involved with having a custom hat made is a rewarding experience also. The vintage hat has the mystery of an often unkown possibly exciting history. The custom hat often has the one-of-a-kind made just for me appeal.

fmw

One Too Many
Custom without question. In my opinion I get a better hat and it's brand new. I'm not a collector, just a wearer.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Custom without question. In my opinion I get a better hat and it's brand new. I'm not a collector, just a wearer.

I'd say the same - most of my small collection of hats are custom.

Having said that, I'd like to find another nice vintage Borsalino in my size, a Whippet too!

I like most vintage anything, cars, ties, furniture, hats, music. There's something about the character and history of a vintage hat that you can't find in a new one. I also like the vintage styles which are generally straighter crowned with less taper.

By the same token, I can see why folks like the customs. I have seen some very nice ones here, which are one of a kind and fit the owners well. I may splurge someday and get one made for some occasion- birthday, retirement, etc.

Perry

fmw

One Too Many
And I can see the interest in vintage products as well. I think that is a different issue entirely and not specific to hats. If you enjoy the history behind a product, for example, that's a good thing. I understand the interest in collecting vintage products as well. Some people collect hats. Others collect vintage cars or vintage watches or vintage sports bubble gum cards, coins, stamps and on and on. Makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, a custom hat can get you a straight crown as well. The custom in my avatar has a very straight crown, for example.

fmw

One Too Many
I love both. The thrill of the hunt for that vintage hat that fits like a glove is a fun addiction. The invention and interaction involved with having a custom hat made is a rewarding experience also. The vintage hat has the mystery of an often unkown possibly exciting history. The custom hat often has the one-of-a-kind made just for me appeal.

I agree with this completely. When I was buying a few vintage hats, I really enjoyed the chase too. I find the history of hats (or most anything else) interesting as well. However, history and buying are two different things. Hats are simply an item of clothing to me. I like clothing and I like hats but I don't need the historical connection personally. Unfortunately for me, the results of my vintage hat buying were either unsatisfactory or expensive for the most part.

Curious to know what others think, but cost being of no issue, would you prefer a vintage hat or a hat made to your specifications by one of our esteemed custom hatmakers?

With cost being of no issue, then both. I have customs that are replicas of vintage models that are near impossible to find in my size. I have vintage lids that fit as well as my custom, a few that were nearly unworn until I got them. I don't collect, I wear. I also have a few modern factory models. So, I am vintage/custom/modern inclined which gives me the largest selection. Why limit to just vintage or custom?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
For me I know after years of collecting hats the model and brand of hat I am after in vintage I am missing a couple of that model hat. Once they are found I really am not interested in much vintage now it may take a while to find the next few hats I want in vintage but they are out there.:ranger:
But I am interested in custom and will be ordering a work of Art this year for sure. Custom will allow me to create hats based on the vintage model I like but in colors that will go with today's colors and with different ribbon treatments that I have found on hats where I love the ribbon but the hat style is not for me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I have to vote custom as well. For me, it's better to pay a little more and get exactly what I want-- something I know I will wear, and something a hatter takes some personal interest in making unique to me. That said, I really only have a few of those... but I wear 'em regularly.

Of course there are two sides, however. I tend to be very picky about color and style combinations, and rarely do I find anything vintage in the right size/shape combo. Likewise, I rarely find anything in new production of the right color (I love some of those vintage colors!).

Cost is an issue too. I refuse to pay high amounts for hats I don't see and try on in person first, and the ebay market seems to have notably risen as of late.

Sometimes the history intrigues me, but although I enjoy stumbling across a good find-- even something I wouldn't have considered wearing on my own-- I hate the hunt. Not fun for me.

frussell

One Too Many
Size is a factor in this choice for me. I've been able to find a few vintage hats that fit, but at 7 7/8, custom is the only way to go. TonyB and Art have provided me with the chance to have the vintage style I was looking for, without stretching, moth divots, funky-smelling stained liners, or crackly old sweatbands. I've still got a few vintage big boys that I'll never trade, but if I want to get one that truly fits with no issues, I have to go custom. Most really nice vintage hats that might fit me tend to be bid up to within custom prices anyway. That said, I'm still waiting for that OR 25 in 7 7/8 to magically appear on eBay. Frank

I only have one custom hat. I do have a few Optimo vintage restores which I am happy with. Also some of the speciality felt finishes that I am after are no longer made today so vintage is the only option (luckily I wear 7 1/4 or 7 3/8). By the way I occasionally buy new production hats.

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
With modern custom made you get: to know the hat maker personally, to customize the way that expresses your own flair, a new sweatband, a new ribbon, new threads that hold the hat together, no dings or oils from previous owners, all in perfect condition. How long can you wear a vintage vs. a new custom made? My money's on the new. Threads don't last forever.

Brando11

A-List Customer
As with most possessions, the story behind the item is half the pleasure. Telling folks that you helped design it, you worked with the artist that made it, etc. is great. For me, I love it when people compliment my '63 Open Road and I get to tell them the history behind it, the provenance of the folded up newspaper inside the sweatband.

Both are fun, but my preference is vintage.

fmw

One Too Many
We should explore the "other" option that's been mentioned briefly and that is new production hats. My Dobbs Beechwood and Stetson Whippets are nicer than any vintage hat I have or have had. They may not be styled for the 1940's. I don't know or, frankly, care. This is 2011 and I'm content to have a hat styled for 2011. To be fair, I'm not willing to pay new prices for used products so I haven't bought any first tier vintage hats. At new hat prices, I'm not going to either. So generally, I would choose a new factory hat to a vintage hat as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff