Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Wedding - Accessories?

TabbyKat

New in Town
Good morning ladies!

Hubby and I will be celebrating our fifth anniversary this coming January. We are planning a vow renewal at the chapel where we were married. Recently, he has jumped on the vintage wagon with me, and we are planning the wedding in vintage style.

I already have my dress (A vintage-inspired dress from Stop Staring.) Got a wonderful deal on it. The original price was $100 and I snagged it for $22. lol I'm still not sure how that happened. I will be wearing peep-toe wedges with it. Thats about all I have figured out.

I am a bit new at the vintage thing and was wondering if you ladies could help me out with the accessory thing. Corsage or bouquet? What kind of coat? It gets quite chilly in the desert. What other things would be suggested? Hubby mentioned gloves and a hat. The gloves sound like a swell idea but could a hat be worn if I have my hair done up with victory rolls? I'm so lost...:( Excited, but lost. :rolleyes:

Any help would be appreciated. Have a wonderful day ladies.:)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
What dress did you get?
There are a few different traditions for each era and we can pic up a few of them from the era of your dress.I'm assuming it will be a less formal occasion,correct?

TabbyKat

New in Town
Nikki ~ Thanks for the link! I was talking to a woman whos mother also wore a corsage. I think that might be what I will wear as well. :)

RRL ~ Yes, it will be a very casual affair. No white dress this time. ;) It is actually a black shirt dress type deal with purple detail. Comes down about mid-calf and will be worn with black peep-toe shoes from Bakers. Hubby's suit is black pinstripe and we got him a black dress shirt and a purple tie and hankie set that matches with my dress. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I would do a corsage--orchids are always lovely, or perhaps roses or even carnations (another 1940s-favorite.)

WWIIbridegroom.jpg

If you'd like to wear a hat with reverse rolls, I'd suggest a tilt or doll hat perched forward on your head. That's my favorite style of hat and it looks lovely with rolls. Here's one of mine (I anchor the hat over the smaller roll, letting the other roll(s) curve around the hat.)

47b6cf04b3127cce8f2da8d0ca3100000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Gloves are always appropriate as well, and for a coat, I'd suggest a bolero jacket, capelet, or a dressy car/swing coat for walking around after the ceremony.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
My grandmother says for jewelry, keep it simple, you're wedding ring and a strand of subtle pearls. Best wishes!!! Have loads of fun, and however you do it, you'll be a total doll.:)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I thought my bouquet was very pretty,but what I like best about a corsage is it frees up both your hands for hand holding.;)

TabbyKat

New in Town
Thank you so much ladies!

JBD ~ The idea for wearing the hat is perfect! The visual helps, as I tend to be a bit slow on the uptake if there aren't photos to go with a description. :eusa_doh:

CanadaDoll ~ Thank you. I was most deffinetly planning on keeping it simple. I don't tend to wear much in lines of jewelry as it is, so that will work just fine. I will have to post some photos of the end result.;)

RRL ~ Agreed! I had a bouquet at the wedding, and it annoyed the life out of me. I was being hugged left right and sideways, and had to keep manuvering it around and over people.:rage: A corsage sounds like a much better option!

Grace

Vendor
rubyredlocks said:
I thought my bouquet was very pretty,but what I like best about a corsage is it frees up both your hands for hand holding.;)

I loved my bouquet, too, but my God was it HEAVY! It was huge-if I would've known how big and heavy it was, I would have opted for a much smaller one! I almost couldn't wait for the ceremony to be over because my hands and arms were aching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR