Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Wedding Dresses

anna_newman

New in Town
Everyone looks so lovely!

Since it was my anniversary yesterday, I'm indulging myself and posting photos of my 2003 wedding in New Orleans. Actually, it was our second ceremony because when my husband and I got married, we didn't do the civil ceremony, just the religious; for financial reasons we waited till he was done with school. The first wedding was a big family extravaganza, but for our "civil" wedding, we eloped to New Orleans. Two friends of ours came along as our witnesses.

We were married in a tiny private ceremony at an antebellum mansion http://www.houseofbroel.com/ near the French Quarter. I sure hope Ms. Broel's business and amazing home haven't suffered too terribly from Katrina.

My vintage dress was given to me by a family friend who is kind of like a second mom to me. It has a matching blush colored coat, but it was too warm in NOLA to need it. My DH was roasting in his suit (poor thing--his sleeves needed lengthening too and we ran out of time).

signing_wedding.jpg

nola_wedding.jpg

I highy recommend having a "fun" renewal of vows just the way you want it if you felt a bit overwhelmed by a traditional family wedding.
And really, any excuse to wear another vintage gown is good, right?? ;)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
anne, could you tell me what the civil ceremony is? Is that the justice of the peace? I thought you had to do it legally first. Just confused.

Very beautiful dress by the way!

anna_newman

New in Town
The first ceremony wasn't legal, just spiritual! We had absolutely everything but a license. If we got married by a minister, but didnt have a license, were we "living in sin" for four years??? lol

We got all legal in Louisianna.

I know, it all sounds a bit crazy and confusing, but my DH and I never seem to do anything quite like the norm.

anna

celticmom

New in Town

The Shirt

Practically Family
The love the Frock dot com or vintageous for special gowns and dreaming. They both have a range of styles but are vintage. Not sure if you are looking for new in a vintage style.
What fun - show us what you find!

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Im not really sure what you are looking for but I have been thinking about selling my wedding dress, it's brand new (got married October 13th of this year) and it's a cream color and has some vantage looking lace on the bust and on the back, it is a corset. You can view pictures of it as www.keimwedding.weddingherald.com (that's the sight that has all the wedding pictures on it) it's a Maggie Soterro. I don’t know if it’s what you are looking for but I would hate for this to be your dream dress and me not say something :)

here is one picture of it, it looks white but it's really more of a cream/gold (it's called light gold)

dress1-vi.jpg

dress2-vi.jpg

dress3-vi.jpg

dress4-vi.jpg

michiigrrl

New in Town
Lilredrooster said:
Im not really sure what you are looking for but I have been thinking about selling my wedding dress, it's brand new (got married October 13th of this year) and it's a cream color and has some vantage looking lace on the bust and on the back, it is a corset. You can view pictures of it as www.keimwedding.weddingherald.com (that's the sight that has all the wedding pictures on it) it's a Maggie Soterro. I don’t know if it’s what you are looking for but I would hate for this to be your dream dress and me not say something :)

here is one picture of it, it looks white but it's really more of a cream/gold (it's called light gold)

dress1-vi.jpg

dress2-vi.jpg

dress3-vi.jpg

dress4-vi.jpg

I love IT!!! The only problem is that I need it to be crisp white. BUT!!! I now have an idea of what I'm looking for. I want something VERY similar. Thanks for sharing your pictures, I just love it and you look gorgeous in it!:)

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
Thank you!! i do love this dress a lot, you may want to call around because this dress does come in white! they call it diamond white, but make sure you call around...i found this one at one store for under $500 and at another store for $1500, and the one for under $500 was not a nock off, it was the real deal and brand new.
if you go to the websight that has all the pictures on it you can see a few good shots of the back, the back of the dress is the best part!, OH and the jacket does not come with the dress, i made that to match.
Good luck!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
From Revampvintage.com:

"The bride of the 1940s had World War II to contend with. Rationing of fabric made simplicity in line and trimming an important factor to consider. A bride sometimes had no time to have a gown made before her fiancée was shipped off to war and had to make do with a suit or casual dress. The lucky bride had more time to consider her options. The most popular gown tended to be of rayon-satin worn in an unadorned A-line style. Although simplicity was key, wedding dresses were anything but boring. The A-line dress, also called the princess line, had a fitted bodice, a nipped in waist, and were usually fitted at the neckline, wrist, and midriff. with an A-line skirt. For those brides who wanted a little something different, over-dresses of sheer netting or lace would create a soft look. Moderate length veils were worn with decorative headdresses in a coronet style or a heart shaped style of fabric or lace, that would mimic a sweetheart neckline, a popular 40s motif."

So, depending on how authentic you want to go, beware of dresses with huge skirts, bustles or trains.

Here is Revamp's 1940s gown:

lillian-10-06-80dpi.jpg

Also, here is a Simplicity pattern that's labelled 1930s, but the one made up in white looks pretty 40s to me.

4270.jpg

Also, a corset-style top wouldn't have been incorporated into a 40s wedding gown. You're better wearing your corset underneath :)

Also, there are many threads here about vintage weddings, some with photos from the 30s and 40s.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/search.php?searchid=783442

michiigrrl

New in Town
That is an incredible designer! I just went to her website and checked out her dresses. I think I found my dream dress! I can't get the picture to upload :eusa_doh: . It's not completely accurate to the time period but I LOVE IT!!!!

fernande

Vendor
Vintage Wedding ideas for you

Lucky Timing- A great gal named Candace who owns a store called "Trashy Diva" in New Orleans and does quite lovely 30s/40s/50s repros has slashed the prices of her vintage bridal collection and they are all on sale.
here are a few examples
buttondresslongbridal1.JPG

40sdressLONGbridal1.JPG

trixie2dressBRIDAL1.JPG

She is liquidating the stock so its all drastically reduced. No returns though- but her size information is really spot on, and I'm sure you could talk to one of the sales associates on the phone. I have a couple of her dresses (not bridal) and they are nice (for repros)
http://www.trashydiva.com/site/indexSHOP.html

I also see lots of interesting pieces on Ebay- sometimes you can get one for a song- especially if its just someone clearing out their great grandmother's things-or someone bought it at an estate sale- usually these photographs aren't as good, and perhaps its harder to tell the item is good- BUT that can be to your advantage-
Here is a shot of a dress, I bought- the pictures have merit, but in person this dress is AMAZING. I got it for under $100.- And yes, I took a gamble because you can't really tell too much from the photos- Its in flawless condition, and I don't know, it makes me want to renew my vows so I can wear it! (ha!)
210c_12.JPG

40sweddingdress.JPG

Anywho-If you have set aside a budget, I would bid on a few- I know its hard when you can't try it on, etc, but you may really score and if you don't like it, you can always sell it again. (this is my own rule of thumb with most Ebay stuff I purchase- since I've had many many duds/only okay pieces, but a few real treasures/awe inspiring buys)

Another idea- is to have a dress made for you with a vintage pattern.
You can also find these on Ebay if you search "gown" in the vintage patterns for women section.

here are two snaps of two gowns on ebay now. One is 30s, but I think its DIVINE!

wedpat3.JPG

weddingpattern30s.JPG

With these you might get lucky and find your exact bust measurement- but any seamstress worth her salt, should be able to grade the dress to your measurements if the pattern is slightly off- especially with bridal, there will be some customization required! I have a friend who had a very similar gown to Grace Kelly's wedding dress made, it wasn't cheap, I think it cost her around $650.00, but in comparison with many bridal shops/salons- it was a million times more beautiful. This is also an idea for you.

I also have quite a personal collection of vintage bridal- you can PM if you want.

Hope that helps! :)

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
dakotanorth said:
My grandmother was married in a wedding SUIT- basically a 1940's style suit in white. It could be "recycled" for business and social event wear. It actually adds a really nice twist to a wedding!

Jp

I've heard of wedding suits before, and it's a great idea! I love the idea that the outfit can be used again, and not go to waste. The idea of a special dress that is only used for the wedding dress doesn't really appeal to me. [huh] My grandmother was married in a fairly simple wedding dress - not long, not with a train, as far as I know. Just a very nice white dress. I suppose it depends where you lived in those days too, and she grew up on a farm and lived in a small country town.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
The suit is my favorite wedding look too. A lot of the 40s pinup girls/starlets got married in suits, like Rita (with Orson Wells in 1943)

47b7cf33b3127ccebf8491a2ffb300000026100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Ava (and Artie Shaw in 1945)
47b7cf33b3127ccebf849c12bf9d00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Lauren Bacall (with Bogart in 1945)
47b7cf33b3127ccebf8499dcffc900000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Betty Grable planned to wear a suit for her 1943 wedding to Harry James, but had to change at the last minute to a blue day dress.
47b7cf33b3127ccebf8624617e1a00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

The movies seemed to like more glamour though, such as Lana's gown in "Marriage is a Private Affair" (1944)
47b7cf33b3127ccebf84ae31bfa700000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

A bride could do both, though: a dress for the actual wedding, then change into a suit for her "going away" outfit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner