Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Workwear

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I can say it goes back to the late 1800s and was found then on many attached collar shirts, both for work and for dress purposes. It looks like a lot of the earlier examples of the detail were on thicker wool shirt-jacket type garments. Here's an example from 1896. The name "extension neck band" seems to imply that the double button is there so that it can be extended while still buttoned.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Buttoned on the second button to make it larger?

well, that's all it can do really.

it just seems odd that none of the catalogues show a drawing of it in that position. usually the small functional details of garments are described in detail in the ad copy. here's a scan from Sears 1923 for the Hercules shirts. all it says regarding the extension neckband (7) is that it's 'built for service' which seems to imply that it's just a strengthening feature:

sears_23_Hercules_zpsff344cd0.jpeg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've been looking through patents, too. Some of the earlier ads refer to patented versions of the neckband. Some patents do refer to a workshirt as having one, but only as a background detail while they discuss various pocket and yoke designs.

Metatron

One Too Many
I can say it goes back to the late 1800s and was found then on many attached collar shirts, both for work and for dress purposes. It looks like a lot of the earlier examples of the detail were on thicker wool shirt-jacket type garments. Here's an example from 1896. The name "extension neck band" seems to imply that the double button is there so that it can be extended while still buttoned.

I thought you might have the answer. That's it as far as I'm concerned. 'Extention neckband' the clue is in the name.
Perhaps it additionally caters to different neck sizes, if for example they were issued by a company to their employees en masse without bothering very much with the sizes.

Last edited:
I thought you might have the answer. That's it as far as I'm concerned. 'Extention neckband' the clue is in the name.
Perhaps it additionally caters to different neck sizes, if for example they were issued by a company to their employees en masse without bothering very much with the sizes.

Kind of the way modern mass produced dress shirts carry two buttons at the cuff, so you can adjust the length of the sleeve by buttoning it tighter on your wrist.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Kind of the way modern mass produced dress shirts carry two buttons at the cuff, so you can adjust the length of the sleeve by buttoning it tighter on your wrist.

I don't think that's it. These were offered in numbered neck sizes, so more accuracy in the sizing than today's S-M-L

Papperskatt

Practically Family
i don't understand why that option for buttoning the neck isn't mentioned in period advertising (with a small diagram) if that's what it's intended for.

Maybe they were very used to it and thought that it was obvious back then, and didn't need mentioning. Like how they don't need to mention how to button the front.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
8b20704v.jpg
Picture by Russell Lee, 1938. Note the guy with the hat...or rather his collar.

Very nice discussion, guys. Honestly I didn't think too much about the "why" of chinstrap shirts. I just like them. It kinda makes sense now (but it also kinda doesn't haha)

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i haven't seen any of the repro workwear labels attempt one of these yet; 'auto style' flannel shirt. 'double front with continuous flap-over pockets':

1918_CW_double_front_zps0567f43d.jpeg

Mackinaw 'stag' shirt with 'extra deep collar' ... which looks rather like an Eton or Peter Pan collar usually for young boys rather than workwear:

1918_CW_deep_collar_shirt_zpsf924b9bd.jpeg

both from Charles Williams, 1918 catalogue.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like their slogan. Wears like a pig's nose. The trousers on the left look really flared or do you assume it's the same exaggerated illustration like in collegiate pants?

Hbk the pocket shape of the first shirt looks interesting indeed. The second one doesn't work for me because of the reasons you already mentioned

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I like their slogan. Wears like a pig's nose. The trousers on the left look really flared or do you assume it's the same exaggerated illustration like in collegiate pants?

Hbk the pocket shape of the first shirt looks interesting indeed. The second one doesn't work for me because of the reasons you already mentioned

I think with the lace-up back, these probably were flared in real life, though I doubt as much as in the illustration. The collar on those mackinaw shirts reminds me a lot of what older mackinaw coat collars looked like when done up. Button a Woolrich 503 to the neck and you'll get a similar shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic