Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visual Reference Guide 2: WWII US Military Pins

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Visual Reference Guide 2: WWII US Military Pins

Provenance

My Grandfather owned a millinery and tailoring store which also sold military items in San Francisco during the depression and WW2 era. During that time, my Father collected over 200+ military patches insignias from WWII.

aa_patches1.JPG

In Summer of 2005 my Father asked me to liquidate his collection for him and by Fall/Winter 2005, I had catalogued most of the items and proceeded to sell the entire collection on ebay. My Father purchased these patches from my Grandfather for approximately 10¢ each during WWII with his allowance, and immediately stapled them to the card stock shown. Occasionally my Grandfather would give my Father a patch for his collection.

aa_patches2.JPG

All patches are original to the era represented, and are NOT modern reproductions. All patches, military pins, medals and buttons were unused, unless noted otherwise.

aa_patches5.JPG

All patches, pins and insignia are sold or are no longer available. Please do NOT inquire about purchasing these items, because I no longer have them and I will not respond to your request.

I am posting this information in the hope it will assist collectors and persons who are interested in this data.

aa_patches6.JPG

Please note: At some time in the near future, I will be changing servers, so right click and save NOW if you want these pictures for reference.

All pictures are copyright to me, and I DO NOT give permission to reproduce these pictures. They are for personal use only.

The items in this thread will be listed in Alphabetical order, so that it is easier for me to post.

Referece information that is listed came from the following book, which is excellent, and I highly recommend (I used six books to identify the patches, pins and rating badges and this was one of the best visual identification guides):

87_7.JPG

Decorations, Medals, Ribbons, Badges and Insignia of the United States Navy
Author: James G. Thompson
Publisher: Medals of America Pr
ISBN: 1884452515
Format: Softcover

I hope that the information I posted is correct, but if you see an error, feel free to post a note so that my error can be corrected.

Oh, and my father says if you like what you see, you can make a donation to his retirement fund. :D

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

2 ea: ORIGINA WW2 1ST Lieutenant Bars NIP

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 1ST Lieutenant Bars Pins. Silver colored bars, alloy unknown. Probably collar pins
Original pins, not a reproduction. Original cardstock and packaging included as shown.
New, no marks viewable.
Era: WWII
Size: 1" x .25"

1ST_Lieutenant_Bars.JPG

Vintage Betty

2 ea: WW2 American Emblem Engineer Pins NIP

Item: 2 ea: World War 2 American Emblem Engineer Pins. I'm guessing this was the predecessor to the Army Corps of Engineers as the logo is the same. Dual screw back. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
Original pins, not a reproduction. Original cardstock included as shown.
New, makers marks visible on back of pin.
Size: 1" x .75"

engineers1.JPG

engineers2.JPG

Vintage Betty

1 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 9th Army Lapel Pin 24K GP Glass RARE

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 9th Army Lapel Pin.
Original pins, not a reproduction. Glass topper, paper design. Item marked on back of pin: Craft Insignia Inc, NYC. 24K Gold Plate.
I believe this is a new item, never used. Item scuffed due to improper storage with other pins. Have not attempted to clean pin back or glass. Screwback.
Size: .5" x .5"

glass_insignia_9th.JPG

glass_insignia_back1_42nd.JPG
glass_insignia_back2_42nd.JPG

Vintage Betty

1 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 6th Army Lapel Pin 24K GP Glass RARE

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 6th Army Lapel Pin.
Original pins, not a reproduction. Glass topper, paper design. Item marked on back of pin: Craft Insignia Inc, NYC. 24K Gold Plate.
I believe this is a new item, never used. Item scuffed due to improper storage with other pins. Have not attempted to clean pin back or glass. Screwback.

glass_insignia_6th.JPG

Vintage Betty

1 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 7th Army Lapel Pin 24K GP Glass RARE

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 7th Army Lapel Pin.

glass_insignia_7th.JPG

Vintage Betty

1 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 42nd Lapel Pin 24K GP Glass RARE

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 42nd Infantry Division Lapel Pin.

glass_insignia1_42nd.JPG

glass_insignia1b_42nd.JPG

Vintage Betty

1 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 CBI Lapel Pin 24K GP Glass RARE

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 CBI Lapel Pin.

glass_insignia_cbi.JPG

Vintage Betty

3 ea: WW2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pins

3 ea: WW2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pins

Item: 3 ea: World War 2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pins. Single pair of gold wings, with a silver star and center red dot, alloy unknown. Single screw back. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
New, no marks viewable.

Honorable_Discharge1.JPG

Honorable_Discharge2.JPG

Vintage Betty

3 ea: WW2 Air Force Machinist Mate Pins

3 ea: WW2 Air Force Machinist Mate Pins

Item: 3 ea: World War 2 Air Force Machinist Mate Pins. Gold wings with silver propeller, backed by two pins. Probably collar pins
New. Marked with patent numbers on pin backs
Size: 1" x .75"

machinist_mate1.JPG

machinist_mate2.JPG

Vintage Betty

3 pc: WW2 USMC EGA Uniform collar set Marine Corps

3 pc: WW2 USMC EGA Uniform collar set Marine Corps

Item: 3 pieces: WW2 USMC EGA Uniform collar set Marine Corps
2 ea: 1937 USMC EGA Uniform collar set Marine Corps. Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) collar pins. Screwback. I'm guessing these are brass. Size: 1" x .75"
1 ea: USMC EGA Officer's Uniform pin, Marine Corps. Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) Officer's pins with detached rope. Screwback. I'm guessing this is brass, and a hat pin. Size: 1.5" x1.75"
Original pins, not a reproduction
Used, no markings

marine_pins1.JPG

marine_pins2.JPG

Vintage Betty

3 ea: WW2 Army Medical Corps Caduceus Pins

3 ea: WW2 Army Medical Corps Caduceus Pins

Item: 3 ea:
New, no markings.
Size: 1" x 1"

medical_pin1.JPG

medical_pin2.JPG

Vintage Betty

4 ea: WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

4 ea: WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

1 ea: World War 2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pin: Pacific Ocean Area.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel.
1 ea: World War 2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pin: 43rd Infantry Division.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel.
2 ea: World War 2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pin: Western Pacific Forces.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel.

Original pins, not a reproduction. Slight scratching on pins due to improper storage, does not affect pins in a significant manner.
New, no makers marks visible on back of pins.
Size: Varies, Approximately .75" to 1"

pin_lot2.JPG

Vintage Betty

19 ea: WW1 WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

19 ea: WW1 WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

Item:
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL WW2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pin NEW. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard screw clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel red dot and gold overlay on wings.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Marine Corps Reserve Enamel Pin with screw back, light blue. Appears to be brass with enamel overlay. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Coast Guard Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, dark blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 US Naval Reserve Honorable Discharge Pin with Ruptured Duck emblem, screw back.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Infantry Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Enlisted Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage.
4 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Officer Buttons with standard loop back. Pins are in various conditions, including worn and used. Manufacturer's marks on back of buttons, print illegible, except for the words: New York.
1 ea: World War 2 American Campaign Medal Ribbon (Blue, red, white stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 Europe-African-Mid Eastern Campaign Medal Ribbon (Brown, green, red, blue, black white stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal. Note this is the only Ribbon I believe I have of this type.
1 ea: World War 2 American Legion Medal Ribbon (Brown with multi-stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 Army Good Conduct Medal Ribbon (Red, white stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 Navy Expert Rifle/Naval Rifle Markmanship Medal Ribbon (Blue with green stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 1 Army Victory Medal Ribbon (Rainbow stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
Alloy of pins ranges from pot metal to enamel overlay to cloth. See individual item description for more detail.

Original pins, not a reproduction. Slight scratching on pins due to improper storage, does not affect pins in a significant manner. Some finish appears to be slightly worn as shown, due to storage.
Cardstock: Pins are on original cardstock as shown.
New, Maker's marks are listed next to item description if visible on military pin
Size: Varies, Approximately .50" to 1"

pin_lot3.JPG

Vintage Betty

24 ea: WW1 WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

24 ea: WW1 WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

Item:
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL WW2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pin NEW. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard screw clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel red dot and gold overlay on wings.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Marine Corps Reserve Enamel Pin with screw back, light blue. Appears to be brass with enamel overlay. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Naval Reserve Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, white. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with Ruptured Duck emblem, screw back.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be gold plated.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Infantry Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Enlisted Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage.
8 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Officer Buttons with standard loop back. Pins are in various conditions, including worn and used and poor to . Manufacturer's marks on back of buttons, marked Scovill Mfg Co, Waterbury & City Button Works NYC
1 ea: World War 2 American Campaign Medal Ribbon (Blue, red, white stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 Europe-African-Mid Eastern Campaign Medal Ribbon (Brown, green, red, blue, black white stripe. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 American Legion Medal Ribbon (Brown with multi-stripe).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Coast Guard Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, dark blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, red, white, blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 Army Veteran of Foreign War (red, white, blue).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
1 ea: World War 2 Army Enlisted Man's Peaked Cap Badge.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period.

Alloy of pins ranges from pot metal to enamel overlay to cloth. See individual item description for more detail.
Original pins, not a reproduction. Slight scratching on pins due to improper storage, does not affect pins in a significant manner. Some finish appears to be slightly worn as shown, due to storage.
New, Maker's marks are listed next to item description if visible on military pin
Size: Varies, Approximately .50" to 1.5"

pin_lot4.JPG

Vintage Betty

24 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

24 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

3 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Enlisted Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage.
1 ea: World War 2 Army Enlisted Man's Peaked Cap Badge.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period.
6 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Officer Buttons with standard loop back. Pins are in various conditions, including worn and used and poor to . Manufacturer's marks on back of buttons, marked Fine Quality.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Marine Corps Reserve Enamel Pin with screw back, light blue. Appears to be brass with enamel overlay. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
1 ea: World War 2 Europe-African-Mid Eastern Campaign Medal Ribbon (Brown, green, red, blue, black white stripe. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Naval Reserve Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, white. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
2 ea: World War 2 US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with Ruptured Duck emblem, screw back.*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be gold plated. One pin has no backing pin.
1 ea: World War 2 Army Veteran of Foreign War (red, white, blue).*Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard lapel back for the period. The finish is cloth over metal.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, red, white, blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.

pin_lot5.JPG

Vintage Betty

21 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

21 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

4 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Enlisted Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage. One pin has a missing back clip, and another has a screw back, might be a lapel pin. If you are looking at the set of four on the bottom left, this screwback lapel pin is the upper right detailed pin out of the group of four pins.
5 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Officer Buttons with standard loop back. Pins are in various conditions, including worn and used and poor to good condition. Manufacturer's marks on back of buttons, marked Fine Quality; New York; ___ Button, NY; Handy Button, Handy Button Machine Co, Chicago.
3 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Marine Corps Reserve Enamel Pin with screw back, light blue. Appears to be brass with enamel overlay. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. One pin is missing the round screw back.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Naval Reserve Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, white. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, red, white, blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.

pin_lot6.JPG

Trivial note, Ms. Betty: Those look like CofE castles because they are! The Corps of Engineers was in its heyday during WWII.
Fun CofE note: every Corps Commandant since 1975 has worn the same exact set of castles, originally commissioned for MacArthur by his father, then given to his engineering chief in 1945, who in turn gifted then to the then-Commandant in 1975, who immediately made them property of the office.

Did he have any patches bearing a blue or purple flag with the letters GHQ in gold? "Blue GHQ" was patch insignia for MacArthur's Headquarters personnel during WWII; purple-flag was the Occupation counterpart.

Vintage Betty

2 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 Warrant Officer NIP

2 ea: ORIGINAL WW2 Warrant Officer NIP

Item: 1 ea: World War 2 Warrant Officer Bars Pins. Burgundy colored bars with gold center, alloy unknown. Probably collar pins. Dual pin back. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
New, no marks viewable.
Size: 1" x .25"

warrant1.JPG

warrant2.JPG

Vintage Betty

15 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

15 ea ORIGINAL WW2 Distinctive Insignia Enamel Pins

2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Army Enlisted Collar (Hat?) Pins with Dual pin backs. Pins are lightly scratched and slightly worn as shown from improper storage. One pin has dual back clips, and another has a screw back, might be a lapel pin. If you are looking at the set of two on the bottom, this screwback lapel pin is the lower left.
2 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL Marine Corps Reserve Enamel Pin with screw back, light blue. Appears to be brass with enamel overlay. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. One pin is missing the round screw back.
3 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL WW2 Gemsco Honorable Discharge Pin NEW. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. Standard screw clasp back for the period. The finish appears to be enamel red dot and gold overlay on wings.
3 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Naval Reserve Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, white. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown.
4 ea: World War 2 ORIGINAL US Navy Honorable Discharge Pin with screw back, red, white, blue. Pins are much more colorful and in better condition than shown. One pin back is damaged and in poor condition.

Size: Varies, Approximately .50" to 1"

pin_lot7.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner