Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vodka

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homemade Flavored Vodkas (Infused)

Over the past two years, my wife has been making her own infused vodkas. She buys decorative glass jars and infuses the beverage in the jar itself, and then puts a ribbon around the neck of the jar and makes a homemade label, and they make nice gifts.

Lemon vodka: rind of a large lemon into a bottle of vodka. Infusion only takes a few days.

Honey vodka: infused not with vodka but with The Liquor That Is More Vodka Than Vodka, namely Polish "Spiritus." The closest thing to "Spiritus" in the US is Everclear, which has an unfortunate reputation in our circles but is admirably suited for infusing. It can be cut 30-50% with water. This is a long infusion, process. 3 months. Boiling is required first.

Kahlua vodka: as with Honey Vodka.

Doran said:
Over the past two years, my wife has been making her own infused vodkas. She buys decorative glass jars and infuses the beverage in the jar itself, and then puts a ribbon around the neck of the jar and makes a homemade label, and they make nice gifts.

Lemon vodka: rind of a large lemon into a bottle of vodka. Infusion only takes a few days.

Honey vodka: infused not with vodka but with The Liquor That Is More Vodka Than Vodka, namely Polish "Spiritus." The closest thing to "Spiritus" in the US is Everclear, which has an unfortunate reputation in our circles but is admirably suited for infusing. It can be cut 30-50% with water. This is a long infusion, process. 3 months. Boiling is required first.

Kahlua vodka: as with Honey Vodka.

Interesting. This comes at a time when I have been pondering what to do with a rather large size bottle of vodka I bought at Costco a while back. :D

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Interesting. This comes at a time when I have been pondering what to do with a rather large size bottle of vodka I bought at Costco a while back. :D

It's a happy drink.

Another infusion I have seen and tasted at a bar called Olive in SF's lovely, lovely Tenderloin (on Larkin Street, I believe) is pear infused vodka. This had lots of pears sitting in it in a big glass tank. It was astoundingly delicious chilled. The little bits of pear made it texturally interesting although straining is also possible.

Doran said:
It's a happy drink.

Another infusion I have seen and tasted at a bar called Olive in SF's lovely, lovely Tenderloin (on Larkin Street, I believe) is pear infused vodka. This had lots of pears sitting in it in a big glass tank. It was astoundingly delicious chilled. The little bits of pear made it texturally interesting although straining is also possible.

Bits of pear? I thought an infusion is just a slight taste with whole fruit in it. A shrub is a drink made with the mashed fruit in it run through a strainer before drinking of course. ;) :p
I would love to try it with Apricot, Peach, nectarine, orange and a host of other fruits. Damson might be good as well. :D

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
Bits of pear? I thought an infusion is just a slight taste with whole fruit in it. A shrub is a drink made with the mashed fruit in it run through a strainer before drinking of course. ;) :p

That sounds right. I am not an expert on these matters, though.

Geesie

Practically Family
Yuri Dolgoruki is some of the best I've ever had - I can drink it like water, and Russki Standart is my preferred "sipping vodka". It was ten years after I was in Moscow that I finally could find these brands in the US.

Grey Goose is, I think, vastly overrated. It is almost completely tasteless. Yes, supposedly all vodka is but each does have its hints of character. Russki Standart is smooth enough to drink with no hint of burn and it has a pleasant character of its own.
Plus it's cheaper than Grey Goose.

And you know what? My scotch should come from Scotland, my bourbon from Kentucky, and my vodka from Russia, or maybe Ukraine or Poland.

Dr Doran

Geesie said:
Yuri Dolgoruki is some of the best I've ever had - I can drink it like water, and Russki Standart is my preferred "sipping vodka". It was ten years after I was in Moscow that I finally could find these brands in the US.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll look for them.

Geesie said:
Grey Goose is, I think, vastly overrated. It is almost completely tasteless. Yes, supposedly all vodka is but each does have its hints of character.

I think you are right.

Geesie said:
And you know what? My scotch should come from Scotland, my bourbon from Kentucky, and my vodka from Russia, or maybe Ukraine or Poland.

Polish vodka is lovely. Also there is the low-priced (at Trader Joe) Monopolowa which is made by Poles in France. Very nice for the price -- not in the category of the others you mention, though.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
a friend of mine, his buddies, and a foolish young woman were in a bar and the young woman jokingly(but not) opened up a bottle of Grey Goose that they put on the tables...

$200...

she now knows why they were yelling at her to not open it...

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
Grey Goose? For fools who just want to brag about how much they just spent on a bottle.:rolleyes:

Has anyone ever had Kauffman? That is a more extreme case of the same thing it costs £60.00 a bottle.

SamMarlowPI said:
a friend of mine, his buddies, and a foolish young woman were in a bar and the young woman jokingly(but not) opened up a bottle of Grey Goose that they put on the tables...

$200...

she now knows why they were yelling at her to not open it...

That is some mark-up how much does it retail for per bottle? It's about £30/$50 here.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i'm not sure the retail per bottle but i'm pretty sure bars and restaurants get low wholesale prices...

the mark-up makes sense if it's $7 a shot to $30 a bottle, making shots much more profitable per bottle...

so deterring people from just ordering a bottle and a couple glasses by extreme mark-up...

of course, i probably have no idea what i'm talking about if any of what i just said makes sense...

Ethan Bentley said:
Has anyone ever had Kauffman? That is a more extreme case of the same thing it costs £60.00 a bottle.

That is some mark-up how much does it retail for per bottle? It's about £30/$50 here.

You can get the 1.75 liter here for $53 from Beverages and More. It is quite a mark-up---nearly four times. If it were the smaller 375ml it is under $20. Now that would be a REAL mark-up!:eek: Made in the Cognac region in France---whee!:rolleyes:

Kauffman's Vintage 2005 Vodka is about $250 here. :eek: I'll take Grey Goose over that. :p

Doran said:
Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll look for them.

I think you are right.

Polish vodka is lovely. Also there is the low-priced (at Trader Joe) Monopolowa which is made by Poles in France. Very nice for the price -- not in the category of the others you mention, though.

What about:
88287.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I think Sobieski's named for another long cool drink:
leelee_sobieski_2.jpg

I've had Sobieski. The vodka, I mean. It was good.

I'm kinda off pricey vodak myself. I like it freezer temperature, so as long as it doesn't taste of industrial esters or linseed oil, I'm happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy