Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wait with me for an Aero Cheyenne

Charlie_Marlowe

New in Town
Good evening Ladies and Gents,

While I researched for an Aero leather jacket, this forum was always listed in the results.

Thanks for the photos and information you posted on this forum, it made my choice much easier.

I hope I made good use of it - I just ordered a Cheyenne coat from Aero.

Specs:
Cheyenne CXL Steer Brown
Without hand warmers, storm cuffs
Cotton Drill lining instead of Alpaca
Extra inside Pocket

To get most wears out the coat, Spring / Autumn / Winter with thicker layers, I choose cotton. With warmer linings I probably could wear it just in winter...

Most forum members seem to prefer horse over steer leather. From what I found online, the grain of the steer hides appeals to me more. And it's supposed to be very heavy - perfect for me.

After sending my measurements, Holly advised me to choose a 38". Can you guys confirm that the Barnstormer / Mariner / Cheyenne runs larger? I usually wear 40".

Any suggestions welcome.

Nothing to do with the coat itself but doesn't CXL stand for Horween's Chromexcel? Wich is available in both steer and horse?

Now the waiting game begins, I'm crossing my fingers and hope delivery is before Christmas.

Greetings from Germany,

Charlie

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the fedoralounge! Sounds like you already read a lot, good to see you took the step to actively participate! :)

Cheyenne fit is identical to Barnstormer, they have 24" pit to pit in a size 40, so yes they run large. Depends on the fit you want ofcourse but sizing down to a size 38 (23" pit to pit) certainly will work for you. CLXv= Chromexcel, yes. I have a size 40 barnstormer you can try on if you are from around Hannover as well as a size 38 Teamster thats very similar in sizing to the Cheyenne as well...

edit: good choice going for thin lining and no handwarmer pockets, imo. Alpaca is wearable in early spring and most of autum btw, my Teamster has it and it's not as crazy warm as you may think..

Welcome @Charlie_Marlowe. I am happy to wait with you as I too just submitted an order in Brown CXL steer. I won't go into details on the specs but it's something I have been long considering and past experience helped shaped the jacket. We could have a race and see whose gets to the finish line first...I'm not going to lie, I hope it's mine;). I love the CXL steer...it's the best hide Aero offers in my opinion. Here's to the wait!

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Welcome @Charlie_Marlowe. I am happy to wait with you as I too just submitted an order in Brown CXL steer. I won't go into details on the specs but it's something I too have been long considering and past experience helped shaped the jacket. We could have a race and see whose gets to the finish line first...I'm not going to lie, I hope it's mine;). I love the CXL steer...it's the best hide Aero offers in my opinion. Here's to the wait!

you make me very curious by being so secretive about it :D

Charlie_Marlowe

New in Town
Welcome to the fedoralounge! Sounds like you already read a lot, good to see you took the step to actively participate! :)

Cheyenne fit is identical to Barnstormer, they have 24" pit to pit in a size 40, so yes they run large. Depends on the fit you want ofcourse but sizing down to a size 38 (23" pit to pit) certainly will work for you. CLXv= Chromexcel, yes. I have a size 40 barnstormer you can try on if you are from around Hannover as well as a size 38 Teamster thats very similar in sizing to the Cheyenne as well...

edit: good choice going for thin lining and no handwarmer pockets, imo. Alpaca is wearable in early spring and most of autum btw, my Teamster has it and it's not as crazy warm as you may think..

Thanks so much, 23" sounds right for the layering I had in mind.

Hannover is just 190 miles away. ;)

And I thought Alpaca would be Antarctica expedition level warm...

The Herringbone lining was very tempting, though.

Btw. if anyone else is thinking about a purchase, with current exchange rates the time to buy is now.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Good point on the exchange rate, the pound is beginning to gain on the dollar again. Re, linings: I've got a Bootlegger with a cotton lining, so I'll be interested to see how warm it is but I've already got it in my head to swap it with alpaca next year.

I'll bet ton is waiting on a cross zip of some type....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMG_6022.GIF

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Good point on the exchange rate, the pound is beginning to gain on the dollar again. Re, linings: I've got a Bootlegger with a cotton lining, so I'll be interested to see how warm it is but I've already got it in my head to swap it with alpaca next year.

My Mariner is Alpaca lined. Warmer than my cotton (and light wool tartan) aero's but not a huge difference. The shearling lined on the other hand... I'm glad it's getting cold again!
@Charlie_Marlowe : patience with waiting! good choice. And yes, the mariner is oversized.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Excellent choices there Charlie! I trust it will indeed be well worth the wait. I am blessed to have both Steer & Horse, however no button-ups. You will enjoy it deeply I am certain. Give it time and enjoy the break in process. Over time, I've realized the cotton drill is my favorite lining as well.

Charlie_Marlowe

New in Town
The Cheyenne Coat arrived in early November. Long story short, it didn't fit me very well - sleeves not long enough, body too wide and tight in the shoulders.

Instead, I exchanged it for a Teamster in tumbled FQHH, 40, +1" sleeves & back length, which arrived 2 days after Christmas.
Fit is right on the second try.

This was the jacket after the first day of wear:

CJ32vUj.jpg

abwZIO2.jpg

9fNTZxu.jpg

The Leather smells great and looks pretty good even right of the box.

After around the first week of wear the Leather did soften up noticeably. I'll post photos.

Thanks for waiting with me.

Edward

Bartender
Greetings, Charlie Marlowe! Are we related? (Edward Marlowe) ;)

Teamster looks superb.... enjoy! I'm somewhat tempted by a longer, button jacket like this myself....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner