Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking Stick

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Wanted somethign a little different than the typical vintage cane so I made this one from a hippo tooth bound with silver wire to a hickory shaft. The shaft is actually a singlestick blade so instead of round it is a tapered oval which matches the tooth pretty well. Close to 1" by maybe 5/8" at the handle end down to 5/8" by 1/2" at the tip although I could be off a little but you get the idea. Feels real good in the hand and has a nice balance as a singlestick as well

IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG

^^^Nice job! I've made a few but unfortunately don't have many pics ready in file. I've used mostly hickory willow or Osage orange because of the availability where I live. I like to mostly leave the bark but expose the knots for character, then seal the stick. I've used antler or bone for handles mostly, but find it hard to come up with something for a collar. I have several pcs laid up in the rafters of my shop drying for a while now.

This is the only Handy pic I could come up with from my files; I took it a while back for the "Hat on a Stick" thread:

IMG_1991.JPG

I have made joint rings & collars for sticks & other things by cutting a plug out of an old bowling ball, then turning it down & polishing it on a lathe. It works pretty good for smaller OD rings. But I haven't seen a metalflake or swirly bowling ball at a flea market or garage sale in a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner