Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED - Bay Area: a real WOOD book case?!

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
WANTED: a real book case?!

I have spent days trying to find a real dark wood book case. I went to Urban Ore, GoodWill, etc. and scoured Craigslist. I don't want pine, I don't want IKEA...just simply a 3-4 shelf dark wood book case with character..book shelves are either treasures that no one parts with or I am just looking in the wrong places. Frugal pricing would be nice but at this point if it has character I will shell out some more dough just to have this quest complete.

Thoughts? perhaps you have one kicking around your garage some where...

Thanks!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I bought this at Target. They have other wood bookcases with character as well. It looks nice and it's not the typical particle-board stuff that comes in a kit.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pine can be stained, I will be willing to bet 90% of the dark wood ones out there are just stained pine anyway...
They are hard to find, though.
Urban Ore would be my first place to look - I was just there about 3 hours ago though, and there were none.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
Wish I could help, but the only one I have is full up with books.

The one I have belonged to my late grandparents.

It is possible to find them, but you may end up buying a new one that looks "Golden Era". The downside is real wood (for new) = expensive.

I am looking in to possibly purchasing some wood and building a larger one in my father's garage (provided he doesn't object) next Spring. I'd build one at my home but I live in a flat.

Haversack

One Too Many
If you don't mind paying for quality, Stickley is still making oak furniture that uses no plywood. Even the backs of their bookcases are solid oak. For instance:

http://www.stickley.com/OurProducts_Details.cfm?id=1933&Collection=Mission&cat1=91&view=all&finish=

There are two or three dealers in the Bay Area. I know Noriega Furniture out on Taraval in the Sunset carries it. (They also have a serious sale on it once a year.)

If older, (and possibly cheaper), is acceptable, then look in used furniture stores for stuff made in the 1920s/30s. Most of what survives from then will be hardwood. Try places in older towns. Mid-Peninsula might be good. Some of the dealers on 9th, 10th, and 11th in the South-of-Market-Area of the City may also prove fruitful.

Haversack.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
You could make your own if you can't find one.

I agree, or find somone good to do it for you. Skilled craftsmen can make furniture that will last in a very classic style.

NH

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Determined

Well, I spent some more time poking in various shops off San Pablo in Oakland, CA.

I did find a place that makes new wood one's and one was close to what I want but I am DETERMINED to find a used one, with character. I like to imagine the people that have touched the furniture, where it has been, what has been on its shelves - scratches are welcome...it means the wood has had a full life. Plus, I not only like to be 'vintage' but try to be sustainable, reuse is good for the heart and the planet...I will prevail! and fine my special book case.

PS. If I was handy, and had a garage it would be fun to build one from old wood, from shelves or cabinets doors or something in ample supply at Urban Ore...though for this particular book case it needs to be narrow.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Make your own. You'll get something much better quality, in the dimensions and color you want, for much cheaper. I did that years back and got a huge 4'x5' bookcase for about $50 once all was said and done.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Furniture Making

I love the idea of making furniture, most of my pieces were crafted by my father when he was in high school. Making them roughly 70 years old. The attention to detail is priceless...this is probably why I am so determined to find something worthy to share the space. Without a garage to tinker in, I am just going to have to keep looking...though I did take wood shop (and auto shop) in school.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissJeanavive said:
I love the idea of making furniture, most of my pieces were crafted by my father when he was in high school. Making them roughly 70 years old. The attention to detail is priceless...this is probably why I am so determined to find something worthy to share the space. Without a garage to tinker in, I am just going to have to keep looking...though I did take wood shop (and auto shop) in school.

I built my bookcase, a smaller bookcase, a huge cat tree, and repurposed a bookcase into an entertainment center - in the middle of my livingroom. An ex of mine and I built a huge wooden cabinet to hold a gigantic fish tank - in his dining room. You don't need a ton of space to build stuff, you just need to be willing to live with the mess and inconvenience on a temporary basis.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You could get one of the plain wood ones, add molding to trim it, stain it your color, and varnish it, and have the perfect bookcase! And no reason you can't do this in the middle of your room on a tarp or newspapers.
I assume the store on San Pablo with the new one was Fenton McClaren...for a huge selection of real wood molding go to McBeath Hardwoods on Ashby and Powell, right across from OSH...You can just nail the molding on with tiny nails and then fill the hole with a little putty, stain, varnish, no one will be able to tell it's not an old piece.
Obviously I am local....I know all the stores really well from years of advertising sales. So pick my brain for other things...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MissJeanavive said:
....I did find a place that makes new wood one's and one was close to what I want but I am DETERMINED to find a used one, with character. I like to imagine the people that have touched the furniture, where it has been, what has been on its shelves - scratches are welcome...it means the wood has had a full life. Plus, I not only like to be 'vintage' but try to be sustainable, reuse is good for the heart and the planet...I will prevail! and fine my special book case....

I prefer antiques too; I just found them too expensive. I mean, $400 for a bookshelf? I paid $150 for the one I bought at Target. I've read that the price of antiques is going down, but I guess that trend hasn't hit Colorado.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I prefer antiques too; I just found them too expensive. I mean, $400 for a bookshelf? I paid $150 for the one I bought at Target. I've read that the price of antiques is going down, but I guess that trend hasn't hit Colorado.

Of course, there are always bargains on CL if you're willing to wait for the right thing to come along.

Mike K.

One Too Many
As indicated by Miss 1929, also check your local directory for UNFINISHED furniture retailers. Here you'll find solid wood pieces, many at reasonable prices. You'd just have to stain them to the color you like best. A quick Google search showed me that there are a few in your area.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
The Journey Continues

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions...my book shelf quest has evolved into something much bigger for me! As they say, "Its about the journey not the destination"...and "sometimes you don't get what you want but you get what you need".

Because of the book shelf quest I met an amazing man today who owns the Burbank Theatre in San Jose, CA and I got to go inside the theatre and I have made a commitment to help him open this theatre back to the public. Check out the full story here

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Book Shelf Success

Turns out a friend had just what I wanted:

2993484729_ce8a81a929_m.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
There's plenty of places around the Bay Area you can find some. The first one that is on my mind is Hoot Judkins. I believe they're in Fremont. The Saw Mill used to be good, but they're out of business. Just be prepared to pay big $$$$ for new.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic