Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: For Murder of Good Grooming

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This was too funny to resist.

00000019.jpg

As before here is the link so you can download the image to read the text.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/neecerie/00000019.jpg

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
That is too funny!:)

Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm today to go around looking like a slob!:( I'm constantly being asked why am I "dressed up", when all I am is well groomed!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Another confession...

There's been days when I've been each of these "murderers".

I'm constantly being asked why am I "dressed up", when all I am is well groomed!

I get the same comments! I don't want to be rude, but it sure is annoying when I get asked that same question several times a day by people. Got any good replies to this question?

Just curious (and I'm sure you've mentioned this before with other postings), Miss Neecerie, what year was this booklet published?

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean said:
.... Got any good replies to this question?

Mostly I'll just respond in a friendly way, that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a jeans/t-shirt/baseball cap kind of gal. Sometimes, mostly from people who, I think are self conscience of the way THEY are dressed, will ask me why I'm dressed up in a snide way ( I get this alot, surprisingly from moms when I'm helping out my kids school(s). I look them in the eye and say "I feel I'M dressed appropriately for the occasion". That usually puts an end to it!;)

lindylady

A-List Customer
Hi, everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been reading all the posts. It's so refreshing to find that there are still people in the world who believe in classic style, quality entertainment, good manners, and self-dignity. :)

In response to the postings, I agree that people become insecure with themselves when they see a well-dressed person. Instead of complimenting the other person or just keeping silent, they try to make the well-dressed person feel awkward. Sadly, in their eyes, it's strange to be put together, but completely normal to look like a slob.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I suppose one could always give such an uncouth person a good long look up and down and a raised eyebrow. Perhaps a smirk, as well.

--Leslie

Well Groomed or Overdressed?

Well, Hi Everyone - I'm new here, and it's my first post. I've been reading the forum for a couple of months now, and it's nice to be able to "connect" with other guys and gals who like to be well groomed, and have a sense of Retro Style.

I also sometimes get asked the question "You're all dressed up - where are you going?" and it depends on who's asking when I reply, but usually I say something like "Oh this old thing??" or "I was just feeling glamorous today". :)

Mostly I just get semi-curious looks and often times smiles!

Once people get to know me, it doesn't take too long for them to figure out that it's just my usual style. (That's not to say I don't have a few "frumpygrumpydumpy" days now and then...)

I kind of like to think that my outside reflects some of my inner values - I'm definitely not ashamed of being "old-fashioned"!

olive bleu

One Too Many
RetroMom said:
BonnieJean said:
.... Got any good replies to this question?

Mostly I'll just respond in a friendly way, that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a jeans/t-shirt/baseball cap kind of gal. Sometimes, mostly from people who, I think are self conscience of the way THEY are dressed, will ask me why I'm dressed up in a snide way ( I get this alot, surprisingly from moms when I'm helping out my kids school(s). I look them in the eye and say "I feel I'M dressed appropriately for the occasion". That usually puts an end to it!;)
I LOOVE that!! I have to use it! I get it everytime i wear a skirt. A SKIRT!! what kind of world are we living in when a girl can't wear a skirt? I get so frustrated when i put the effort into get all gussied up to go to a concert or something and i run into someone i know who is wearing sweatpants and they say" well, look at you all dressed up!"My husband will tell you... this is one of my favorite rants...don't get me started!!

lindylady

A-List Customer
The only way people won't say anything about your getting all gussied up in a skirt is if you wear a baggy cargo one. You know, with drawstrings lol

Redlights

New in Town
Hamilton_Honey said:
I also sometimes get asked the question "You're all dressed up - where are you going?" and it depends on who's asking when I reply, but usually I say something like "Oh this old thing??" or "I was just feeling glamorous today". :)

Mostly I just get semi-curious looks and often times smiles!

I kind of like to think that my outside reflects some of my inner values - I'm definitely not ashamed of being "old-fashioned"!

Oh my goodness! I totally understand your sentiments! I'm a morning person and all my early classes seem to have a dress code of PJ's and sweats. I usually wear a dress and heals to all my classes (I just LEARN better when I'm well dressed!) and I usually get "what's the occasion" for the first few days of class and then they learn.

When people ask me why I'm dressed up I say "Oh thank you, but I'm really not..."

Redlights said:
Oh my goodness! I totally understand your sentiments! I'm a morning person and all my early classes seem to have a dress code of PJ's and sweats. I usually wear a dress and heals to all my classes (I just LEARN better when I'm well dressed!) and I usually get "what's the occasion" for the first few days of class and then they learn.

When people ask me why I'm dressed up I say "Oh thank you, but I'm really not..."

Good for you! I know that I feel much brighter and more positive wearing dresses or other feminine, flattering clothes, cute shoes, doing my hair and nails, carrying a vintage or vintage-inspired bag (I get tons of compliments on my handbags). The thing is, just like getting the proper amount of sleep, good grooming and pleasant manners and consideration for others (just a few of those "old fashioned" qualities I referred to) are the mechanics of an enjoyable life that fosters good rapport with others and respect for oneself.

Better stop here, becasue I really could go on. I'll be considerate of everyone, though. :) And besides there are a few good books out there already if anyone is inclined to spend their day reading on the subject.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner