Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One for those with unfinished horsehide jackets,

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Well on the way to pulling the trigger on an Aero unfinished horsehide jacket, just need to decide between a Sheene or an Aeromarine.

However, whilst appreciating the leather will change colour naturally my concern is getting it to do so evenly e.g. if we go out in the sun we're not going to get a tan under our arms easily. Is it as easy as hanging it outside or laying flat on a table outside with the arms lifted?

Have also read that to speed the process up (live in the UK so warm sunny days can be a bit hit and miss) that the leather can be treated / oiled. seen some swear by mink oil whereas some say avoid at all costs. Seen some say to use Pecards or Obenauf yet with being a relative newbie to leather jackets it all goes over my head! My current jackets are either Badalassi or CXL so nothing needed on them.

No interest in making the leather too dark, a soft honey tone would be ideal although I realise that over the years it will darken a little more.

Have read so many threads on here and elsewhere yet all they've done is left me puzzled on the best way to treat it.

I really need to stay away from this place, keep saying I have enough jackets yet keep looking here and, before you know it, another one is being looked at :)

So, any advice or thoughts on the above?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Drzdave58

One of the Regulars
Well on the way to pulling the trigger on an Aero unfinished horsehide jacket, just need to decide between a Sheene or an Aeromarine.

However, whilst appreciating the leather will change colour naturally my concern is getting it to do so evenly e.g. if we go out in the sun we're not going to get a tan under our arms easily. Is it as easy as hanging it outside or laying flat on a table outside with the arms lifted?

Have also read that to speed the process up (live in the UK so warm sunny days can be a bit hit and miss) that the leather can be treated / oiled. seen some swear by mink oil whereas some say avoid at all costs. Seen some say to use Pecards or Obenauf yet with being a relative newbie to leather jackets it all goes over my head! My current jackets are either Badalassi or CXL so nothing needed on them.

No interest in making the leather too dark, a soft honey tone would be ideal although I realise that over the years it will darken a little more.

Have read so many threads on here and elsewhere yet all they've done is left me puzzled on the best way to treat it.

I really need to stay away from this place, keep saying I have enough jackets yet keep looking here and, before you know it, another one is being looked at :)

Thanks.
Mink oil will darken the leather for sure. Not sure I would do anything to it . except apply Bick 4 leather conditioner on it after 1 year.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Don't use Pecards or Obenaufs on a new natural CXL, it will darken too much. Later on, maybe, but initially just wear it. @navetsea did a tremendous aging job on his natural steerhide jacket, and only applied conditioner after some time when he wanted to achieve a deeper color.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an Iron Heart jacket made with the unfinished horsehide from the Comipel tannery (I believe this is the same leather Aero uses). When the jacket arrives it is an amazing pinkish, white color and although it is quite striking, it’s not anything I wanted to be seen in outside.
I used Pecards leather lotion and hung the jacket outside on a hanger in the sun, rotating it every so often. To be honest, I did not worry too much about the under arms being lighter and I don’t think it was that noticeable in the end.
after an application of the lotion, and a few days in the sun, the jacket will be less striking and more wearable.

El Marro

66571545891__1F76EA62-468D-4655-9364-AFE3171FE695.jpeg

Here is a photo of my jacket. It has stayed this color for a good long while now. It doesn’t get as much wear as it should because I have too many jackets.
It is darker around the wrists and the collar where it rubs on things and comes in contact with my skin.

patrickvintage

New in Town

Thanks.
I've been using Lexol for many years quite successfully. Works great. Soaks in but doesn't darken the leather or leave a greasy film.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
View attachment 564583
Here is a photo of my jacket. It has stayed this color for a good long while now. It doesn’t get as much wear as it should because I have too many jackets.
It is darker around the wrists and the collar where it rubs on things and comes in contact with my skin.

Is that a single coat of Pecards from new? Looking at the Pecards site there are a few types to choose from, which did you go for please?

It's looking perfect.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
use water to seal
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiB6tEPPqMd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

then apply conditioning
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxmIs39pZ8I/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

And keep it stretched while wet so it doesn't shrink too much.

I am waiting until spring to do this to my natural trucker. It's pale bone color right now and sitting in the closet.
IMG_0016.JPG

I would suggest looking at hand warmer pockets instead of patch pockets on the Aeromarine. I have them with patch pockets and I had wished I had gotten it with hand warmers. The patch pockets are quite useless, very tiny, for looks only.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
With already having 2 x Sheene, 1 x tobacco Badalassi and 1 x black Badalassi I'm leaning towards the Aeromarine.

I'd skip pockets altogether as never use them and, in my eyes, they can spoil the line of a jacket.

El Marro

Just wear the jacket, don't try to control the process.
I can understand this point of view and I respect it. For me though, the jacket was just too white and delicate (looking) to wear outside. Once I had applied the Pecards and tanned it a bit I wasn’t worried about spilling something on it or picking up marks and stains.

MrProper

I can understand this point of view and I respect it. For me though, the jacket was just too white and delicate (looking) to wear outside. Once I had applied the Pecards and tanned it a bit I wasn’t worried about spilling something on it or picking up marks and stains.
I thought mine was just as good when it was new as it was later when it was a bit tanned. The new leather has something velvety and soft about it, although it is actually stiff. I really liked it. But either way, for me the light-coloured leather is only something for spring/early summer. The rest of the year I either don't wear a jacket or wear a darker colour.
If I were to buy another unfinished one, I would just wear it and let time do its work.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Well, the deed is done and an Aeromarine has been ordered.

Samples arrived today and the leather is beautiful stuff, which will only improve once it gets a bit of sun on it.

My 2 main passions are cars and clothes and when it comes to clothes I'll openly admit I'm one fussy old sod when it comes to fit. The benefit of living in the central UK is that I'm only around 4.5 hrs away from Aero so off up there on the 14th Dec to have a try on of one currently in production...not for me though as it's in Cherry CXL.

What I will be able to do though is nail down the fit as much as I can, broad shoulders and slim waist here so quite a taper. Worth a drive up as the jacket will be a special order so non returnable if the fit is wrong. back length will be 24" instead of the std 26" as per all my other Aero jackets as a side benefit of being tall all of my trousers, jeans and chinos are high waisted and I like a jacket to just cover my belt.

Have asked for no pockets if possible as I'd never use them. Chloe has to speak to Denny though as he might baulk at that so if the worst comes to the worst I'll end up with handwarmers...which again will never be used :). Hoping to get away without the side adjusters also.

As ever, Aero couldn't be more helpful if they tried.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
Update on leather choice,

Have been having a play with the samples, tried neatsfoot oil, tried beeswax / neatsfoot oill mix..not impressed with either result. I could try Pecards but have to order from the US however, one thing is putting me off the unfinished leather more and more and that's the fact I couldn't control the colouring of it in the longer term. There is also the comment from an established member on here that it acts as a dirt magnet. This would all be on a jacket costing me £1000, too much of a risk!

So, as before, off up to Aero next week and option B on leather is Vicenza in Cordovan. It'll only be a Spring / Summer jacket so hopefully Vicenza would be ok for that.

Time will tell.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think UV from sun rays is bouncing off everywhere direct of indirectly so the browning is pretty uniform initially, under the collar or the leather facing on the inside are the areas that usually stay paler for longer, natural leather is a journey, we just wear and hope it will arrive at the point where it would be ideal, but still it will keep on darkening until one day it becomes dark brown, and along the way many surprises may leave marks on it and we should just be chill about it.

moktabe

One of the Regulars
I appreciate what you say however, being 'chilled' about an expensive (to me) jacket not ending up as I like isn't going to happen.

Also appreciate that if buying on-line a jacket might get sent that doesn't fit as expected etc. I'm fortunate that as stated, I can go up to Aero and in the 6 previous ones I have from them they have nailed the fit every time so the risk of one not fitting is removed which is lucky for me.

My interest in an unfinished horsehide one was genuine, it's just the more I thought about it the risk of me ending up not liking how it developed increased.

Aloysius

Have been having a play with the samples, tried neatsfoot oil, tried beeswax / neatsfoot oill mix..not impressed with either result. I could try Pecards but have to order from the US however, one thing is putting me off the unfinished leather more and more and that's the fact I couldn't control the colouring of it in the longer term. There is also the comment from an established member on here that it acts as a dirt magnet. This would all be on a jacket costing me £1000, too much of a risk!

The end state of undyed veg tan is a really vile rotten meat sort of colour. No thanks. (For my tastes, anyway.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner