Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WANTED: My first fur Fedora 7 1/2 - 5/8

MadDawg

Familiar Face
I am looking to purchase my first fur felt fedora. I own a couple of Wools, but apparantly they don't compare. I prefer the traditional style with minimum 2 1/4 inch brim. Sorry if that is vague. Also looking for a nuetral color...grey, brown, black. Someone recommended putting the word out here.

Doesn't need to be new and can even be well worn, as long as it is presentable as my budget is limited.

Thanks,

If DawgVet doesn't want it, I may have something for you.

Akubra Squatter in Deep Fawn size 61 (7 5/8) with a cut down dimensional brim 2 5/8" front & back with 2 1/2" on the sides, sort of Indy style. It has a teardrop crease, not the telescope shown here...
http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=20

I'm looking for what I have in it, $45 plus shipping.
This is the Featherweight, superfine quality = no liner.
Photos added...
brsquat1.jpg

brsquat2.jpg

brsquat3.jpg

brsquat4.jpg

brsquat5.jpg

And here is one side by side by an OEM Squatter...
brsquat6.jpg

MadDawg

Familiar Face
Questions about the Akubra...

1. What is the apprx creased crown height? I think the standard on this hat is 4.12" but is that open or creased?

2. Also, being in Texas, i have a concern about the lack of a lining. But your Georgia weather is probably very similar so maybe you can advise. I would be worried about the effects of even a little bit of sweat on the fur. Is this a legitimate concern?

3. I know photos can be deceiving...can you relate the actual color of "fawn" It appears to be a brownish grey in the photos.

Thanks,

MadDawg said:
1. What is the apprx creased crown height? I think the standard on this hat is 4.12" but is that open or creased?

2. Also, being in Texas, i have a concern about the lack of a lining. But your Georgia weather is probably very similar so maybe you can advise. I would be worried about the effects of even a little bit of sweat on the fur. Is this a legitimate concern?

3. I know photos can be deceiving...can you relate the actual color of "fawn" It appears to be a brownish grey in the photos.

Thanks,
1. I'll measure this evening when I get home, both front of the pinch & the back. I'm guessing the back is about 4" as that it was I typically do.
2. I pull the liner out of some of my hats to get warmer weather wear out of them. The liner isn't going to absorb much sweat the sweatband lets thru to make a difference.
3. The photos are showing more grey than it actually is, must be my flash. If weather cooperates, I'll get a sunlight photo this weekend. It is a basic brown to me, not a dark brown like a Indy hat, more earthy, if that helps...

MadDawg

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replys. After trying on several style hats at a local outlet I think I need more of a 7 1/2 size. The 5/8's definately rattled around on my head a bit. Still looking for the right hat and deal if anyone has any other options.

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo