Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wanted: Stetson Straw ~ 60s' Mid-Century Short-Brimmed Trilby Hat, Size 7

OliverTwist

New in Town
Hello gentlemen,

Consider this my introductory post, as I've found my way to this corner of the web on the desperate hunt for a deadstock '60s Stetson straw; one of those dead cool summer/weekender trilbys like the Acapulco, Coronado, Merion, Saratoga, Tritone, Americana, Sabena, Continental II, Turf, or Gun Club, etc. It may be evident that I really don't know very much about vintage men's hats, but as that saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' goes, here are some pretty clear examples of what I'm looking for:

39688041774bbb4e2d8bb.jpg

3968803939f4e5a81147b.jpg

396957488614349e50e4z.jpg

396880547580687bd1a7b.jpg

3969576510ec4c011420b.jpg

39688037336364de4ffbb.jpg

396880449762f9e4ddbab.jpg

3968804955b9cec8e50eb.jpg

Ideally a straw Stetson for the coming warmer months. I'll be spending half of my summer vacation in Israel beneath the scorching Mediterranean sunshine and unbearable, unrelenting desert oven that is the Middle East. I would really like to find myself a '60s model Stetson straw to stay cool (literally and figuratively speaking!) and would request your help in doing so. For whatever reason, I only seem to come across the '30s and '40s stuff online and in auction sites. I would greatly appreciate any and all of your help in locating a vintage model Stetson straw similar to the above, and would be entirely indebted to anyone who might be able to assist me!

Thanks kindly,
Oliver

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
This is not a vintage hat, but I recently purchased a Stetson Rockport in white from Bencraft, a lounge sponsor. The hat is quite sixties in style and appearance, with a nice striped ribbon and 2" brim - I've been getting a lot of compliments on this lid:

600_812981%20ROCKPORT_zoom.jpg

http://stetson.com/mens/hats/dress-and-caps/rockport-natural

In fact, the current crop of Stetson straws has several hats with a sixties vibe, you might check them out:
http://stetson.com/mens/hats/dress-and-caps

There's something to be said for buying new hats to encourage manufacturers to keep making nice lids - also, Bencraft will treat you right.

OliverTwist

New in Town
Hi Carl,

That is a lovely hat indeed, although I would say that the colors and ribbon are more of an updated contemporary look. It's a very nice shape, however I'm really after the real deal if I can find it!

How rare are these to turn up?

I would kill for that Coronado, Saratoga, or Stetsonian! Any of them really!

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Fair enough - my cranium is too large to realistically expect to find vintage, so I make do with modern. For size 7, you should do OK if you're patient and scour the usual sites. Happy hunting...

OliverTwist

New in Town
There is a Stetsonian in a size 7 (not noted in description) and fairly decent looking condition currently listed on the Bay, however it's a beaver felt and not straw: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STE...-B-3X-BEAVER-CRAFTED-EDGE-BROWN-/190623235413

I imagine that vintage straw hats are far less common as they are more fragile and were surely not constructed to withstand the ravages of time as well as other more durable fabrics. Is it fairly common for these models to turn up in auction now and again though, or big fat chance of finding a deadstock straw lid of this kind?

Cheers!

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
If I remember correctly, there was a green Adam for sale in the classifieds a while ago. Not sure if it sold. It may be what you're looking for.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I probably shouldn't be telling you this because we'll be competing for size 7 hats (I kid, I kid!), but I've had really good luck on eBay with size 7 hats. I snagged a vintage Resistol Milan straw hat for less than $20.

This is not the original ribbon, I replaced the pugaree which came with it originally, but this looks like the proportions you're after, no?
2012-01-11133015.jpg

OliverTwist

New in Town
Hi Jlee,

Not quite the right shape I'm afraid.

I'm looking for more of a streamlined early-sixties porkpie silhouette with stingy brim, evocative of that sharp East Coast mid-century exec meets West Coast ivy jazzer look.

See Bill Holden below for the archetype:

24o55hu.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou